Barca - Chelsea 2nd leg [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Apr 24, 2012.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well spotted Mr. Assistant referee.

2. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Won't quiet the conspiracy theories...Chelsea and Mouinho will still cry.

3. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yup, good red card, but why Terry of all people....

Barca has made their two goals just look so easy

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    As a ref: Well done on the part of the officials.

As a spectator: that Chelsea goal was pure beauty.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had seen the incident better.

Can someone clarify something for me? If a player commits "light" violent conduct (but violent conduct nonetheless) and the opposition makes a meal of it, is there no penalty for the "victim"?

It just seems perfectly possible that a player could foul his opponent AND the opponent could make a meal of it (as happened in this instance), but the laws say nothing about consequences for the opponent in this scenario. Shouldn't both players be penalized?

6. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, a knee to the lower back/tailbone is rather painful, just throwing that out there. Sure he rolls around, but that's irrelevant in terms of giving the red card. You can't really caution him for simulation because he was actually hit, and he's not grabbing his face trying to claim he suffered a headshot (a la Ronoldo in the '02 World Cup)

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy red. As much as Chelsea fans harass refs, I hope Terry gets hung out to dry or tared and feathered by Chelsea fans. Talk about selfish.

Download the USSF 7+7.

The opponent could still be cautioned for UB - F -Fakes an injury or exaggerates the seriousness of an injury.

8. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    While this may be technically correct, I would hate to see it in a game. If you send someone off for violent conduct and then give a yellow to the exaggerator, the guy going offs team will argue vehemently that if the player was faking then it's not violent conduct. It'll make a tense situation worse.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That was Rivaldo

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I thought they changed it so that cumulative yellows do not effect the final.

Apparently I'm wrong.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I saw, he definitely got hit, but he seriously exaggerated. That's not fair IMO.

The USSF 7+7 is helpful (and seems fair), but that doesn't apply to competitions outside the USSF.

12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it could be applied in rare, rare circumstances. And Rivaldo is really the poster child for it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4oUnpcmws"]Rivaldo - Bad Acting - YouTube[/ame]

Because Rivaldo wasn't booked, many people wrongly remember this being an inappropriate red card. The truth is, the red card was completely just; the guy deliberately blasted the ball at an opponent from about ten yards at a stoppage. But everyone remembers the unsavory holding of the race, when the ball struck much, much lower on his body. A red and a yellow would have gone a long way to letting everyone know that the referee saw exactly what happened and that--although he was sending off the Turkish player for VC--he was not fooled by Rivaldo's acting.

Admittedly, cases like this are extremely rare. But in such rare cases, where a referee feels his hands are tied and that he must send off the player in question, booking the other player for exaggeration is a useful tool.

1 person likes this.
  13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you're asking the referee to be able to judge how much pain a player is feeling.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    OH My God.

Have to say, I saw no contact on the PK.
    Caution Dive, FK going out.

But, when you go to ground in your PK, that's the risk you take.

15. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were right. Or think you are right. I'm getting my verb tenses confused because I'm not sure what the answer is now. But I also remember it being made impossible to sit the final through caution accumulation. Or perhaps it was that cautions got scrubbed before the semifinals and if you got booked in both matches, you still sat out? That might be it.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty easy. In this instance, the player employed clear theatrics. That's not what you look like when you're really in pain.

17. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Bunch of bad replay angles..hard to tell. Clearly, the AAR gave the penalty though.

18. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Ramires was booked in the first leg as well as this one, so that must be why he'll be out of the final (if Chelsea makes it).

19. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I don't think I can stress this enough but, You Cannot know how much pain someone is in. It's impossible.

20. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now the goalkeeper Cech booked for time wasting

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you can't. You also can't 100% know a players intentions at any given time, yet there are numerous laws that ask the ref to judge intent. Its one of the hardest parts of reffing, but part of reffing nonetheless.

22. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Thank you.

23. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I can and will, and USSF asks you too.

BTW, I guess you'll never call handling ever again. You have to judge intent. Since that can't be absolutely 100% known, you can't make the call.

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which ones are those? The phrase intent is mentioned four times in the LOTG. The first relating to delaying the restart of play

The other three are related to the taking of free kicks, corners, and throw in's

25. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Mar 21, 2008
    So why was Drogba not given a yellow card for the intentional handling at the 78 minute mark? Did the advantage played negate the handling?