PBP: Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney :: Election Day PBP Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 5, 2012.

1. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kid-voted for Perot in 92, and Dole in 96. By the time I was 17 in 2000, I wised up a little and mock-voted for Nader.

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just had an election day lunch at work. The higher-ups apparently have access to internal numbers and they sound confident about reelection. I'm still a nervous wreck.

3. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in 5th grade and shocked when Carter beat Ford. And I thought Nixon had been railroaded because John Dean was too weak to keep his mouth shut.

4. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Obama will win because Romney is a bigger joke then Obama. Its just a shame that we didn't see them go up against Gary Johnson and Jill Stein.

5. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that. But to go from that to the death of democracy is just a level of pearl-clutching that irritates me. I suspect that improvements will be made at the precincts that had issues and if improvements aren't made, or at least attempted, then shame on the folks who vote in those precincts for not demanding it.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You work for Karl Rove?

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My workplace has not-trivial ties to OFA. So whether it's cheerleading/bluster or informed confidence is anyone's guess.

Also, reposting foxnews.com front page:

Attached Files:

8. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to walk to the liquor store to pick up tonight's Mai Tai supplies. I hope they have orgeat, whatever the hell that is.

For the first several decades of my life, my biggest shame was voting for Richard Nixon in a mock election in first grade. I voted for him because that's who my parents voted for.

Not only was I ashamed of voting for Richard Nixon, I was ashamed of basing my decision my parents'. I eventually forgave myself because jeez, I was 6. But still.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When my mom was in her late 60s, it came out that she was embarrassed still about something that had happened when she was a 5 year old in rural Nebraska. Upon being told of the death of her Norwegian-speaking, fjord-missing grandmother, her first thought was happiness that they wouldn't have to eat lutefisk at Christmas time any more.

My point of course is that you may still need a couple decades of contrition for kid-voting for Nixon.

GiuseppeSignori and Boloni86 repped this.
  10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn.

Making kids eat lutefisk, especially at Christmas, is child abuse. Your mom should not be ashamed that she was happy when her abusive granny died.

Dr. Wankler and Boloni86 repped this.
  11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I guess NY has no ID requirements? No one asked me to produce any form of ID - just a signature and a name. I have to remember that working from home and voting mid-afternoon is the way to go - no wait and in and out in 5 minutes.

NYC went old school with SAT style paper ballots. I prefer the old method which forced you to vote correctly (as in, not vote for more candidates than you should).

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    SE Cupp just thanked Mayor Cuomo for allowing New Yorkers to vote at any pollling station.

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an almond-flavored syrup. You may not find it at the liquor store as it's not alcoholic, although a BevMo or well-stocked equivalent will usually have it in the mixers and snacks section. If it's not at the liquor store, you may find it at Cost Plus, or whatever the Portland equivalent of Cost Plus is.

Barbara repped this.
  14. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    What a mean thing to say. I love lutfisk.

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The systematic attempts by Republican officials to make voting difficult and dissuade high turnout is simply a fact.

Yes, folks should realize this and vote the bastards out -- but if you're in a heavily red state, that's just not going to happen. So these shenanigans need to be addressed vigorously.

GiuseppeSignori and chad repped this.
  16. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good friend was in a band in LA named "Lutefisk."

They were bloody awful.

Boloni86 repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also have not-trivial ties to OFA. Our numbers are not so optimistic. Get people out to vote.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Eh, I don't believe OFA's internals any more than I believe the Republican internals that show Mitt kicking ass, or so the Fox stories go.

Alright I believe OFA's somewhat more, but not much.

19. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    How not so optimistic are they?

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    No ID or signature required in Illinois. Tell them your name and vote. The system is set up so that the same name can't vote twice. Nothing to prevent you from getting there before me and voting in my name, though.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Coincidence, I'm sure!

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Why we shouldn't worry about Pennsylvania - the basic argument is that the campaigns are spending the money they have left and PA television stations have open ad slots.

The other states, sure, let's freak out.

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Nope. NY is very good for the voter. Now, try to get on the ballot as a candidate and it is very skewed for the power brokers of the parties.

In '04, McCain could not get on the the ballot for the Republican primary.

24. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    fitting (speaking from experience)

25. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dunno. I like voting, on Election Day, at the firehouse. Of course, it has its drawbacks. Today it took 4 - 5 times as long to vote. But the total time was still only 18 minutes. One of the things I like about living in a small, rural area.

But early voting has its advantages. Two years ago I had to take the day off to ferry 6 people who I got registered to vote to the voting booths across three different counties. Today was better since I got 5 people to early voting this week and only had to get three people to the polls. And all 3 were to the same place. So I was at work by 9:00 without even missing a beat.