Barça Media Centre | Strictly Barça related Articles/Photos/Interviews/Comps NO MATCH HIGHLIGHTS

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Does everyone that lives in Catalunya learn the language? As in if someone was born in Barcelona is it likley that they all speak Catalan? Is their a major difference between Catalan and Spanish?

2. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My uninformed answers.

Pretty sure if you are from there you speak it. I have relatives and friends who have immigrated there and they've all learned it.

Here's some lyrics that should show that Catálan and Spanish are different, I would guess it's enough to call them separate languages.

BTW: I think that Cátalan version has a couple errors in it, no?

3. Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Everybody in Barelona speaks Catalan. It's the street language. Even when Catalan was banned by Franco, it was spoken in the home and all the Catalans would gather at the Camp Nou and speak it! Another deep tie of the Catalan people with FC Barcelona. Even the Espanyolistas (The Espanyol club was formed to oppose the catalan culture and promote the spanish monarchy) speak it. It is now teached in the shools.

I have family that live in Barcelona. Their own words were: We don't speak like anybody else. Our language is unique.

My view on the whole Catalan language is that it's a mix of Spanish some Italian a little bit of french with a pinch of portuguese.

But it's very understandable to persons with fluent Spanish. I have no problem understanding it.

4. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Catalan is a Romance language alongside Italian, French, Romanian, Galician, Provençal, Castilian, and others. It actually has a longer history that Castilian. The first literary works in Catalan predate those written in Castilian. It is only during repression under Franco that Catalan became relegated to an outlaw language, creating the misconception among many that it is a "dialect" of other state-sanctioned official languages.

Because of Catalunya's autonomous status vis-a-vis the central state of Spain, Catalan is the only required language taught in schools. But all students must learn Catalan PLUS at least one other "foreign" language. "Spanish" (more properly, Castilian or castellano) is considered a foreign language by educational policy. Many young Catalans have elected to learn English as their second language instead of castellano.

However, not everyone in Barcelona speaks Catalan, as EvilSushi alleges. There are many immigrants from Latin America and other parts of Spain who survive in Barcelona without ever learning the language. However, if you live in Barcelona you will notice how Catalan is a subtle marker of class differences: native Catalans will often speak castellano to, say, the waiter or the housekeeper. By default, they will believe people in the service economy won't understand spoken Catalan because they assume these people are immigrants. Whether this form of interaction is condescending or accommodating is up to debate.

5. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed this as a visitor to Barcelona. There's a lot more English spoken there than I expected. From what I can tell, Catalunya is not unique in this regard either. Much of Europe seems to be fragmenting into small, language-defined locales. You can see this in other parts of Spain and there are all kinds of crazy things going on in Belgium too.

6. Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I didnt take into consideration all the immigrants to Catalunya, Barcelona in particular. Nor did I consider the Cultural status.

It is my understading that there are lots of Galicians in Barcelona. Obviously they speak their own language.

But its like that all over Spain. Valencians speak their own thing, Galicians, Basque, Catalans, etc. etc. etc.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely majestic cross. Someone really should have got on the end of that.

8. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which one of these two is Bojan?

[​IMG]

Seriously though, this guy is called Cristian Pineda. An 18 year old who plays for Atletico Madrid (On loan from Lorca). He is often mistaken to be Bojan especially when he wears the yellow jersey... He jokes about being Bojan's first cousin and people actually believe him...

Article from AS

9. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    He could easily pass as his "older" brother. :eek:

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're both really close. Maybe if you combined both you'd have one Bojan.

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Latest Revista episode (full show), Credit: pakman

Source: FS PDTV

Format: PAL (25 fps) (512 x 384)
    Type: XviD
    Audio: VBR MP3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rapidshare
    Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4
    MEDIAFIRE

Revista.De.La.Liga.10.02.2009.PDTV.XviD
    FILEFACTORY

Revista.De.La.Liga.10.02.2009.PDTV.XviD
    zSHARE​

[ame="http://www.zshare.net/video/55426518bd82838f/"]STREAM (May or may not work)[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.zshare.net/download/55426518bd82838f/"]DOWNLOAD[/ame]
    =======================

Latest Revista Podcast (Revista Extra)

Click here for Link

12. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Does anyone know if there is a site that would have old Barca games zipped for download? I am especially looking for stuff from the mid to late 90s--the Romario/Ronaldo/Rivaldo eras.

13. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^^^

I honestly don't know! But I will post any matches I come across on the web... :)

Here is a short video clip of the historic photo that os_mutante posted earlier... (Messi, Amor and Quini)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3rBfipKj8"]YouTube - FC Barcelona - Messi, Amor y Quini: un encuentro histórico[/ame]

14. Me+11

Me+11 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Malaysia
    :)..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhTbnn0qiP8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhTbnn0qiP8[/ame]

15. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
  16. Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings Member

Dec 3, 2008
  17. Chicken Wings

Chicken Wings Member

Dec 3, 2008
  18. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "Ungrateful Bastard: The Samuel Eto'o Story"
    Starring Denzel Washington

But seriously, so the guy is doing some retirement planning aloud in the press. His contract ends in June 2010 and he knows he can leverage that either (1) to get a big fat contract extension, and in exchange Barça could command a big fat transfer fee, or (2) to not renew his contract and leave to the club of his choosing in summer 2010.

He's not too far off in believing that FCB's loyalty to him is limited, so he's just reciprocating that distrust. Credit to him for wanting to go play where he feels welcome, instead of for the highest bidder. Anyway, he only mentions Mallorca and Marseille as places he wants to retire.

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Preferably Marseille ;):p

20. USCule

USCule Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA