Balsillie Bubble Busters: Toronto Maple Leafs 2009-2010

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by crazypete13, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    That's a solid signing. I expect he'll be loaned out to an ECHL club next season unless a trade happens or he beats out Reimer or Rynnas for a spot with the Marlies.

2. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    These signings and comments give me confidence in the Burke/Nonis approach to building a solid team with quality depth. I'd hope they're looking to build more depth up front with more Hanson/Bozak-esque signings as well.
  3. CanadaSports

CanadaSports New Member

this is just the beginning... this is phase 1 in this summer reconstruction of the Leafs. They will keep the young core of players and add July 1st with UFA signing and continuing to build through college and over seas in the Elite leagues
  4. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    I like how Burkie is signing these free agents...we don't have much draft picks and it goes to show that MLSE is willing to spend (outside the cap) on players that could or could not make the NHL. We're starting from scratch and slowly building an NHL team and depth at the Marlies.

Watching the playoffs, just goes to show that as long as you make the show...you have a chance. Look at MTL. Provided we sign a 3-4 more quality players, playoffs aren't that far off.

Heard that Tampa is trying to get either Stevie Y or Nonis as they GM. I would really hate to see Dave leave...he's been a great asset for us. But, i understand he wants to be a GM not an assistant.

5. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    Francois Allaire cited as the main reason we signed Scrivens:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...801740--leafs-sign-another-quality-goaltender

Through a connection last summer — one of Scrivens' teammates at Cornell was the son of former Swiss team coach Ralph Krueger — the 22-year-old was invited as a last-minute fill-in at an elite goaltending camp in Switzerland run by Allaire; a camp attended in the past by the likes of Jonas Hiller, David Aebischer and Martin Gerber.

Scrivens was impressed.

“(Allaire) has got the reputation he has for a good reason. You don't have that many people develop without doing a whole lot of things in the right way,” Scrivens said in a telephone interview.

“I was very happy I was given the opportunity to work with him. ... He was very influential in the past season I had. I learned a ton in one week so I'm very excited to see what I can do with him this year.”
  6. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Seems like Frankie Allaire has been the Leafs best pick up since Burkie has arrived. He's had major influences with Jonas' signing as well. It will be nice to see how Giggy/Jonas perform this season with Allaire coaching them from the start. Maybe we'll be better on the PK. Heard Vesa didn't get a long with Allaire.
  7. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    ^ That's what i heard too, they had a falling out early in the season and Vesa stopped listening to Allaire for the rest of the season.

Vesa is a MORON. His career now lies in tatters...
  8. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    He went from Toronto to ANA to Calgary all in a couple months. Guess, he thought that being 33yrs old means that he didn't need to alter his game.

We'll see what offers he gets come July 1...he's making 4m a season now. He will be lucky to make 2m tops. Or go to Russia.

Knowing our luck, he will sign with a non playoff team and play fantastic to get them in the playoffs. :eek:
  9. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Nonis to sign extension with the Leafs...i was scared he was going to leave this summer. He's such a great asset to the club.

10. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    These commercials are getting played...but, this is one for Burkie...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxvK4g11Bpw"]YouTube- History Will Be Made NHL - Brian Burke & Bryan Murray[/ame]
  11. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    LMFAO!!! That's hilarious!!! :D
  12. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Here's another...this still breaks my heart.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-DSd7sJFrc"]YouTube- History Will Be Made - Kerry Fraser[/ame]

I miss Tie...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3f2OLX_Jwo"]YouTube- History will be made - Tie Domi fights fan[/ame]

Fk'in Vesa...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCuv7VIwYCE"]YouTube- Toskala history will be made.wmv[/ame]

Spezza nerdy laugh...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L994F4THaBg"]YouTube- Spezza's Nerdy Laugh - NHL History Will Be Made Parody[/ame]

K enough of these lol
  13. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Here's another....

Dion
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuKOCOgEfbI"]YouTube- History Will Be Made - Dion Phaneuf[/ame]

Rebuild - I BELEAF!!!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOd9urVyns"]YouTube- History Will Be Made - Toronto Maple Leafs[/ame]
  14. crazypete13

Club:
    Toronto FC
    You get the honours for the 10/11 season thread. Do you want to open it up for the draft - or be like Burke and just wait for July 1?

:D
  15. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Outdoor Classic....dual event this year. I know Burkie was pushing hard to participate, but once again MTL is involved.

WAS @ PIT

MTL @ CAL
  16. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    Should be only one a year, Gary is trying to milk this for everythiong it is worth
  17. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    This is pretty funny...the real commercial drives me nuts...it's on all the time on TLN.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imWpYgTgIc"]YouTube- The Sales Pitch[/ame]
  18. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Burkie was on the fan yesterday and said that he's received offers for Tomas...back at the trade deadline, he said that offers weren't substantial...hopefully, these offers are decent and include a 1st round pick or top 6 forward that we desperately need.

Wallin going back to Sweden...thank goodness!!!

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20100601_122303_11572

Also, Leafs sign Claude Loiselle as assistant Manager.

19. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    Some rumblings of an offer from NJ for Kabby. Not sure what the deal is, but NJ doesn't have a 1st round pick bc of the Iyla deal. So, it would prob be a player(s) of some sorts.
  20. crazypete13

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Khabby for Bobby Ryan is a rumour in the MLSE office FWIW
  21. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    Canada
    Sounds like wishful thinking. Bobby Ryan is a 23 yr old goal scoring power forward who has bagged 30+ goals in his first 2 full pro seasons. He'll fetch a similar return as Kessel. Also, Anaheim has cap issues so not sure they'll want that much salary in return.
  22. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    I highly doubt Bobby Ryan will come to T.O...we'd probably have to give up Kabby, Kule and Grabo...and ANA still wouldn't let him go.

Dion will be named captain Monday...as well as the new jersey will be displayed. heard they will add the retro leaf logo on the shoulders like previous years and add the white bars to the bottom of the shirt.

I wish this became our primary logo and not a 3rd jersey...

[​IMG]

This is still one of my favs as well...great memories from then.

[​IMG]
  23. bestbecks

bestbecks Member

Apparently our new shirts will look like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful.
  24. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    ^ Hope that's it...like the lace string tie and the white bars. Looks like the Rangers a bit.

Coverage is at 230....will watch it later on., Italy game on at the same time.

Congrats to our new leader Dion!!!
  25. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Club:
    AS Roma
    New caption...Dion. You can see some of the video on the leafs site.

[​IMG]

New jersey...looks fantastic.

[​IMG]