Ballon d'Or 2012 Thread...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Mysterious, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Says a Ronaldo-hater who claimed to be done with conversations comparing the two.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Don't you remember they only voted Messi as 4th in 2010? And deservedly so.

3. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    The adornment for Messi in 2010 was nowhere near the level it has reached today. There was a journalist on Skysports saying you have to feel sorry for Ronaldo for having more goals than games, breaking records and becoming an excellent provider and team player while at Madrid but he's constantly overshadowed by Messi. I tend to think this is the thinking of the majority. That no matter what Ronaldo achieves, Messi is just that little bit better.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As stated, Gomez is still second choice. The team is suited more to Klose as he naturally drops back and links up better than Gomez. It's good Löw has two very different choices but rest assured Gomez will start after Klose retires, and you might see the team's style change a bit.

5. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why are you so pessimistic? Don't you think that if your boy was so great he would manage to lead Portugal out of this group and far into the Euros?

When and where did I say I'm done comparing the two? And I'm not a Ronaldo-hater. I appreciate his qualities and value what he is doing.....unlike you when it comes to Messi.

Messi can't do anything to stop Ronaldo from having a great Euros though. However, the true fact is that whatever Ronaldo has done, Messi has indeed been just that little bit better, more or less.

The award this is year is up for grabs. It's all in Ronaldo's feet. He has an Euro tournament to play. If he does something, he can win the Ballon D'or. If he doesn't, I feel the award will go to Messi....again.

I will admit that Ronaldo may have a small lead in the race at the moment, because his team looks all but set to win La Liga and Ronaldo's goal in the last classico was key and overshadowed Messi's performance in that game. Plus, Messi failed in Barca's two games vs Chelsea.

However, this lead may disappear if Ronaldo has poor Euros. The tournament may be advantage and disadvantage, at the same time, for Ronaldo. We have to wait and see which player wins the pichichi in Spain, if Messi breaks the goalscoring record for most goals in a season and to see if he remains as CL's top scorer.

6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yes CR7 now is leading the poll toward the Euro. And you're right that will be a great advantage for CR7 (over Messi and others_) but also it could do BACKFIRE on him IF ... he will have a poor Euro - let's say Portugal could not pass the "group of death" - Xfingers

Advantage: IF CR7 would score at least 3goals+ few assists to help Portugal into Semi or even Final
    Disadvantage: IF there will be a STAR in this Euro to help hhis nation winning it (i.e. Van Persie, Ibra, Ribery, Robben Silva or Gomez?)

7. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    I never said Ronaldo couldn't lead Portugal deep into the tournament. I said doing so while being top scorer would be unlikely considering the competition. I believe it's possible though. A lot depends upon how the rest of the team performs, or else I'm afraid Ronaldo could simply be marked out of the matches.

I paraphrased, what you said is that you're done caring what people think about Messi anymore. You said you are just going to enjoy having the privilege to watch him play. This contradicts your coming in here saying the Messi-haters have escaped the clinic. Seems you still care just a lil bit.

Acknowledging that he has done something useful every once in a while doesn't disqualify your hater status. I've given Messi his due before as well.

*I agree with the rest of your post.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Home goals = Away goals. hehehe... That has to be the most meaningless statistic I have ever heard. You must have got that from a Portuguese poster? :D

9. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Correction, the most meaningless stat is the almighty "successful dribbles" that is from you Messi fanboi's.

The press were the ones talking about Ronaldo having the away goals record.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Are you sure? The press is even dumber than I thought then. Why would # of away goals have anything to do with consistency? :confused: Even if you have 50 away goals, in theory, you could score all 50 in 1 game and then get shut-out in every other away game the rest of the year. It's simply not a measure of consistency.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, it says he scores a lot of away goals. I got that part. It's when you link that stat to consistency that the argument becomes BS. I'm pretty sure that's just a BigSoccer thing. Like when Messi was labelled "inconsistent" cuz he had way more home goals than away goals early in the season (I guess he became a consistent player in January :ROFLMAO:) .

Like I said, scoring a lot of goals is great but it says nothing about consistency. A player with 45 home goals and 15 away goals can be just as consistent or more so than a guy with 30 and 30.

12. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    No, they say he became the first player in history to score 20 away goals which is the accomplishment. Other players have "scored a lot of away goals." He has the record. 23 now I believe.

I can't speak for what Celito meant by "consistency" but an awful lot of creedence is given to playing away from home in hostile environements. Nobody gave Madrid a chance at Camp Nou. Most teams play much better at home and consistently scoring on the road says a player is just as good away from home as they are at their own stadium with a friendly atmosphere and familiar conditions. You never imagined Chelsea was going to go to the Camp Nou and knock out Barca right? Away goals is given priority in tournaments for a reason.

In theory, yes you're right. All of those goals could have been against relegation sides in 8-0 blow outs but we both know better.

Football has become too reliant upon stats these days for me anyways ever since Messi vs Ronaldo came along. Or at least since people started comparing Messi to Pele and Maradona when none of these things were even recorded. It's like following baseball anymore. Now people are tracking successful dribbles, key passes, shots per goal, away goals, consecutive games with a goal, most hat-tricks per season etc. etc. etc. I think most of this stuff is just over-blown non-sense that doesn't add up to much difference in the final result.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree with all that, and I don't think I've ever made a big deal about Messi's statistics. I think things like the pichichi and Mueller's record are pretty meaningless even though Messi is in good position to break those records. What matters is he didn't do enough to help Barca beat Chelsea (although he did do everything he could to help Barca win La Liga, his teammates just let him down in that case).

14. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, I still don't care what people say about Messi. And saying "the Messi-haters have escaped the clinic" doesn't contradict that. It simply is an observation statement. I didn't start a counter-argument or defend Messi nor will I.

I've always given Ronaldo credit whenever I think he has deserved it. If it's "every once in a while" then that is because he has done something worthy "every once in a while". However, I've never seen you give Messi credit, instead quite the opposite - you've bashed him every chance you get.

Wow, imagine that. That's a first, isn't it?

15. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    lol. Nice semantics.... It says you can't allow people to disagree that Messi is the bestus. You saw a countering argument and had to respond that we have "escaped the clinic" for not believing Messi is the greatest. We're even crazy for thinking so according to you.

I feel the same way about Messi.When I feel he deserves credit I give it. "Every once in a while" he does something that can't be directly tied to playing for Barcelona and I credit him for that. Every goal and assist doesn't require a breakdown of his genius as you'll like to portray. I do agree though that Ronaldo only beats Barcelona personally with him scoring the goal to win a trophy "every once in a while." Good analysis Yonko.

Yes, amazingly, you took off your Barca boxers for a minute and proceeded to type out a sequence of words that I happened to agree with.

16. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There can be no doubt that the top two players will be Messi and CR7. Messi is likely to win for the fourth consecutive time but, Ronaldo has a chance to edge him out at Euro 2012. You simply can't have one player scoring over 70 goals and another scoring over 60 goals and not win. Who will win 3rd? Now, that's the question that should be asked. Perhaps, Neymar will win 3rd if Santos repeats as winner of Copa Libertadores and Brazil wins Olympic gold. People are more likely to vote for Neymar because he is a little bit more known now after having won the Puskas Goal of the Year Award last year AND he is constantly in the spotlight for his specular dribbles and goals. There is no question that, in the coming years, provided that he does not suffer any major injuries, he will seriously challenge both Messi and CR7. The fierce battle may start as early as next year if he moves to Europe.

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Once again you show your lack of critical thinking :alien: . Let me put it this way so it's simple: La Liga is a two-team competition for the title, with Barcelona the number one favorite (66%), followed by Real Madrid (33%). C Ronaldo has been in the league for three years, and has won the title only once, so he's right on par with the expected yield. Not above average or below it, just what should be expected. Ronaldo and RM could have sauced it up by winning the CL -a great achivement that continues to elude them- or even by winning the double, which of course won't happen this year either. Obviously the Club World Cup or the SuperCup are not possible anymore, so if Ronaldo is truly a great player worthy of challenging Messi, he needs to take Portugal deep into the Euro, we should expect Ronaldo leading Portugal to win it this summer. Right now, I see him merely as the best player (although Ozil can be that too) on a very strong club, but he has done nothing off the curve like Messi: winning a few CLs, the double, the sextuple (!), three out of the last four ligas, or the individual combination of scoring and playmaking that most greats could do. Winning one liga hardly is an accomplishment to laud as you have been doing :poop:

PS: This new version is hideous, at least they have many more smilies which is the only good thing they've done.

18. y.o.n.k.o

y.o.n.k.o Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The topic is not about if Messi is the greatest. It is about the Ballon D'or award. And the things said about Messi were pure hate prior to my involvement. Hence why I said that the Messi-haters have escaped the clinic.

There is a difference though. Messi has done a lot more things he deserves credit for than Ronaldo (in the last 3-4 years). I've never seen a post of you giving Messi any credit. And why does he have to do something not directly related to Barca to deserve any credit?

I do not breakdown every goal and assist by Messi to justify his genius. I don't have to. Ronaldo fanboys like you on the other hand feel the need to always do that for Ronaldo and in addition always bash Messi.

And you are back to being an idiot with this statement, bravo! Unlike you, I'm capable of critical thinking and analysis. If you agreed with what I said, why didn't you say it first before I even involved myself with this topic? You just had to spit your pure Messi-hate, didn't you?

BTW, Messi scored 4 more goals today, one of which from a FK. As someone who only counts goals, how many does Messi have now (for La Liga and overall for the season) vs Ronaldo? Let me see you give him some credit now...:rolleyes::p

19. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

Since you want to chime in with your bullshit I'll respond.

How do you know that this isn't the catalyst for "three conscecutive liga's" to come? His first year was with a completely different team and a different manager. His second season was the first year playing with many new players and Mourinho. It takes time to develop chemistry and understanding. Or your "critical thinking" doesn't allow for time for a team to develop? Messi has been with the same ole players minus a few fill-ins here and there playing in the same ole system year after year. After having two seasons of playing with the same players Ronaldo has outplayed Messi this year head to head scoring in the last four clasicos while Messi has not. Madrid even dominated Barcelona a few games this year which was unthought of being able to happen. This could very well be the beginning of a new era.

Ronaldo has won Madrid a trophy that they hadn't won in 20 years and the league which they hadn't won in 4 both coming from goals he scored against Barcelona which is considered the greatest team ever. Was he supposed to come in and immediately dethrone Barca of every trophy? All things in due time. Remember not long ago everyone was saying he had a curse and couldn't score against Barca. Let alone have 6 in the last 9 and win the league with his goal at the Camp Nou while Messi was invisible.

Furthermore, If Messi is such a great teammate/leader explain why Eto'o and Ibra were pushed out? Why is it that they both had their best seasons of their careers after leaving Messi? Why does Villa and Pedro go months and months without scoring? Villa was once a world class striker who is nothing more than average at Barca. Cesc hasn't improved over his Arsenal form. Who is Messi making better with his playmaking and leadership? Xavi and Iniesta are great with or without him so who is he lifting to greatness?

In contrast, Higauin, Benzema and Ozil are all having their best seasons with Ronaldo. Each year is better than their previous ones. Benzema has a personal high in goals and assists this year while Ozil has had his personal highs in assists two years in a row and Higuain has been outstanding with 25 goals in limited time. Looks like Ronaldo is the one making the players around him better.

As for the Champions league, Ronaldo scored the two goals in 15 minutes against Bayern that were enough to put his team through. Pepe commited a stupid foul that let Bayern back in and Ronaldo can't be to blame. On the other hand Messi was invisible again in both games against Chelsea and his turnover directly led to a goal plus blowing the penalty. Don't preach about Ronaldo "leading his team" when he did certainly more than could be expected. Messi was simply absent. As for the much avaunted "sextuple." please excuse me if I give a sh1t less if Ronaldo wins the Spanish & Uefa Supercup and the Club World Cup all in the same year. What a dream to win against Santos in a final...:rolleyes

You know these three consecutive league titles that you're using to tout Messi's greatness is something Ronaldo did in England plus one at Sporting and now one with Madrid. Ronaldo has been a champion in three different countries. And giving Messi credit for 3 Champions League titles is fackin hilarious.

Finally, an Argie bringing up what Ronaldo must do for Portugal to "challenge Messi" when 65% of Messi's international goals are from friendlies has some big balls.

verde-rubro repped this.
  20. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Greatness or Ballon d'Or doesn't matter, you can't stand for people to not worship Messi.

So if Yonko hasn't seen it, it doesn't exist? Is that where you're going with this?

Every once in a while I appreciate something Messi does. Most of the time I attribute his achievments to playing for Barcelona. Like scoring 72 goals so far, On Madrid he'd have Benzema with 31 and Higuain with 25 to eat up some of those chances. We all know that there's no competition for Messi and when he has some, he ousts them. Ronaldo has 59 with two very greedy strikers in front of him. Again, Messi benifitting from the Barca gravy train taylor made for his game. Everybody on that team is working all game to put Messi through on goal.

"Spit Messi-hate?" You lost me? I only agreed with what you said about its up to Ronaldo to have a good Euro and it could work against him if he doesn't, I brought up the Euro in the OP and that Ronaldo could set himself apart there. I didn't need you to come along to point that out. I was just overwhelmed by the fact that you made some sort of sense for once.

Messi has had 7-8 penalties in a month? Two against Milan, two last week, one the week before and two again today? Messi has taken 17 to 15 for Ronaldo this year. Looks like Penaldo has been turned into Penessi.

Rememeber that these are all "meaningless goals" and he didn't score them when his team needed them. Barca has nothing to play for and Messi is just searching for personal glory after losing the League and CL. Sound familiar? It's what you Messi fanboys were saying last year when Ronaldo scored 11 in 4 games to end the year. I thought Messi was beyond such personal gratification?

Which brings me to another point that Messi has 5 games over Ronaldo. You going to count those along with the goal differential?

21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    [/quote]

Oh, damn, he just made up some imaginary ligas and tied it up. Now what?

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    You sure about that? This is the last count I heard.
    Messi: 14 of 72 goals have been penalties
    CR7: 14 of 59 goals have been penalties

23. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    You're an idiot, I'm saying he could win the next two for all he knows so why judge his succes in twh two previous seasons before Madrid was stable and could actually challenge for the league?

24. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    Reading is fundamental. I said TAKEN.

Ronaldo's supposedly that greedy bastard running to the spot to pad stats. Messi's ran to it 2 more times.