Bakary Soumare Watch

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by evilmonkeycmand, Apr 13, 2014.

1. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (I meant to post this to start the season, but it didn't happen. Edits have been made accordingly.)

As you all know, our favorite player, Bakary Soumare, has been with this team for a long time. His time with the Fire has been described as "interminable" and "far too many games" (note: quotes may have been made up). What you might not know is that Bakary is on the verge of has broken into the top 20 Fire Players all-time, by minutes played and appearances. Yes, as of the beginning of the season, Bakary Soumare sits at 6869 minutes played, 196 behind Dema Kovalenko; and 85 appearances, 5 behind Kovalenko.

Should Bakary play each and every minute of our 2014 season (lol, like he can avoid fouling that much), he will end the season in 14th in terms of minutes played (just ahead of Peter Nowak), and 13th in appearances (again ahead of Nowak).

This thread is a place to commemorate each and every one of Bakary's special games.

bunge repped this.
  2. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

goldclover and bunge repped this.
  3. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    POTD.

4. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 evilmonkeycmand, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    In Game 6, vs. Montreal, Soumare went 90 minutes. Dan Kelly was quoted as saying "Soumare was out of position again, and you know, Hurtado can't just keep coming over to cover for him". The only Soumare note in the game thread was that he is "rubbing off on Hurtado" and " got kicked in the chest". According to OPTA, he had 37 successful passes (3 to Magee, 3 to Quincy), and 8 unsuccessful passes; and only committed two fouls.

whoscored.com gave him a 7.0 for the game, 5th (EDIT: 7th, sorry I can't count) out of Fire starters.

Soumare remains in 19th on the minutes played list, at 7409; he is 319 minutes from passing Carlos Bocanegra for 18th on the list. Soumare also moves into sole possession of 20th place on the list of appearances, at 91, 1 behind Nate Jaqua.

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Jesus Christ. Jaqua played nearly 100 games for the Fire?

bunge repped this.
  6. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Game 7, against the other worst owned team in MLS, Bakary Soumare went 90 minutes. Between friends in town, and not having NBCSN, I didn't get to see the match on TV, so no good Dan Kelly Robbie Russell quotes (yet). From the 3rd minute color commentary, Baky is unhappy with the string of ties.

From the gamethread - @milicz optimism led him to captain Soumare on his fantasy team? Takes some balls, man. Other Soumare notes - he passes the ball out of bounds to a close teammate, he juggles the ball out of bounds. Also mentioned was the Soumare foul on the goalie during Larentowicz header in the 58th, perhaps satisfying the bloodlust called for earlier in the game thread. But let us not forget "It looks like Amarikwa has been giving shooting lessons to Soumare" and "Soumare hit a freaking fantastic volley", so definitely not all bad.

According to OPTA, he had 37 successful passes (AGAIN!) - 4 to Shipp, 4 to Magee, 3 to Quincy - more of an offensive threat this time - but 15 unsuccessful passes (what a scrub); and only committed one fouls. whoscored.com gave him a 7.1 for the game, 3rd amongst Fire starters (behind Shipp and Nyarko).

Soumare moves into a tie with Nate Jaqua for 19th on the list of appearances, at 92. He is 4 appearances away from tying Jalil Anibaba for 18th on the list. Soumare remains in 19th on the minutes played list, at 7499; he is 229 minutes from passing Carlos Bocanegra for 18th on the list.

seamuslush repped this.
  7. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    MLSsoccer.com has Baky as part of their team of the week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/06/02/team-week-wk-13

"D: Bakary Soumare (Chicago Fire) – The veteran helped to slow down Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane after their explosion last weekend. The Fire were able to come away with a 1-1 draw."

Based on the graphic accompanying their story, we should have tried him out at RB in an hour of need by now.;)

[​IMG]

evilmonkeycmand and ratdog repped this.
  8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who'd happily drive him to O'Hare and give him a one-way ticket to anywhere, I must say that this honor is well deserved. He and Hurtardo actually managed to keep Landycakes and Keanemoney under wraps for most of the game and deserve some attaboys for that.

goldclover repped this.
  9. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2 former Fire players. Just sayin'.:whistling:

seamuslush and bunge repped this.
  10. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither of them worth two craps.

11. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They both play on a team that has more points than we do. Just sayin...

bunge repped this.
  12. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Fire game is so boring I'm playing with spreadsheets to stay awake....

Statistically speaking, from 2010 to 2014, John Busch vs Sean Johnson is a wash.

John Busch (128 games played and started) - 72.7% Save Percentage 3.28 Saves Per 90 1.23 GA per 90 1.44 PPG 34 SO
    Sean Johnson (112 games played and started) - 70.6% Save Percentage 3.2 Saves Per 90 1.37 GA per 90 1.45 PPG 21 SO

Total Guaranteed Compensation to John Busch 2010-2014 - $769.853.99 ($6,014.48 per start)
    Total Guaranteed Compensation to Sean Johnson 2010-2014 - $725,000.00 ($6,473.21 per start)

goldclover, evilmonkeycmand and xtomx repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    SJ is younger and more flexible...and looks better in a milkman outfit.
    It comes down to intangibles. :D

14. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I like Jon Busch, but I like SJ more. Marco Pappa still sucks, even if he has the occasional good week.

Also - with Wednesday's minutes, Bakary Soumare has passed Carlos Bocanegra for 18th all-time in minutes played, up to 7769. He is now 449 minutes behind Demarcus Beasley for 17th. He is also one appearance away from tying Jalil Anibaba for 18th in appearances.

Bakary Soumare achieved a 7.25 rating on whoscored.com for the Rapids, good for 3rd among Fire starters behind Hurtado and Johnson. I don't know how many passes he completed or to whom, because they took that away from the New New MLS MatchCenter. He only committed one foul though, and took a hard shot to the head from a Hurtado clearance.

seamuslush repped this.
  15. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Agreed.

Per the Opta Chalkboard on Matchcenter, Baky had 8 successful passes and 6 unsuccessful, but don't ask me who he passed it to.

16. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the disappointment of a loss to Seattle, Bakary Soumare showed up surprisingly well. He held back Hurtado after the red card, and did a pretty darn good job of keeping the defense intact from that point forward. The only goal that was scored after that was clearly Pineda's man. He successfully completed 29 passes, with 12 unsuccessful, and only committed two fouls. whoscored.com gave him a 6.8 good for fourth best of Fire starters (after Shipp, Amarikwa, and Gonzalo).

With this game, Baky has tied Jalil Anibaba for 18th with 96 appearances all-time. He is two appearances behind Demarcus Beasley in 17th.

17. Since leaving the injury list (cough . . . doghouse) Soumare has had one of his best 3 match stretches since rejoining the Fire.

18. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been almost two months, so time for another Soumare watch update!

Bakary Soumare went the full 90 during the Wednesday shitshow. I didn't watch that, so no quotes, and I don't want to even dig through the gamewatch thread. According to whoscored.com, everyone except Lovel and Ward played awful, but Soumare played a better brand of awful than everyone except Watson.

With those 90 minutes Soumare has now played 8,244 minutes for the Chicago Fire, passing Demarcus Beasley (8,218) for 17th all-time. He is 187 minutes behind Marco Pappa for 16th all-time. Those 90 minute also put Soumare up to 101 appearances, tying him for 16th all-time with Justin Mapp. He is now 2 behind Evan Whitfield for 15th all-time.

Additionally, over the course of the season, Bakary Soumare has performed 2nd-best among all Fire players, according to whoscored.com. Only Harry Shipp has done better.
    (The Castrol Index rates him 7th among Fire players, but it also rates Alex as 3rd best behind Quincy and Mike, which is much less believable than Soumare being 2nd behind Harry).

seamuslush repped this.
  19. FrenFan

FrenFan Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure about your obsession with Bakary Soumare, though I would point out Justin Mapp has more than 101 appearances with the Fire. According to MLSsoccer.com and the Fire's Player Registry, he's at 174 games. Quick glance has Mapp 8th all-time in appearances.

Carry on.

20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No idea what whoscored.com is, but if they had Soumare as performing second best among Fire player, they are fu*cking idiots.

He and Hurtado were both awful on Wednesday.

LIZZIE and loonixxx repped this.
  21. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sounds like someone has a Mapp obsession.

22. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think that 7.6 rating was for the Philly game-he was listed in their best XI for the week but is no where near it for the season.

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Got it, that makes MUCH more sense.

24. evilmonkeycmand

Jun 29, 2011
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll look into this. There may be some clerical errors in my database.

25. seamuslush

seamuslush Member+

Jun 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

If there is an error, blame the intern!

evilmonkeycmand, skinut, LIZZIE and 3 others repped this.