Bad Boy auf dem Bosporus: Jermaine Jones at Beşiktaş [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Jones is not in the starting line-up, and I would doubt he's on the game-day roster.

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna take another week

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How big are the big 3 in Turkey? In relation to say the top 4 in the EPL or Barca/RM in La Liga? Like when it comes to fan support or finances? I know Galatarsaay is some hugely rich club right with rabid fans right?

4. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    the short answer .. not all that big .. gala is the biggest of the big3 in turkey

they have a lot of fan support and their fans are pretty crazy but that does not translate directly into money .. actually some of the crazy probably keeps people who could afford to spend more money away from the games

Galatasaray lives way above it means when they were playing Real last year there was an articel about how they are over 240m € in debt i have no current numbers but i don't think that that will have changed much to the better in the last year

they are ranked 16th in the deloitte money league 2014 with 157m € revenue for 2012/2013 (Schalke is ranked 13th with 198m)

in reference to english clubs lowest ranked english team in the top20 is tottenham rank 14 with 172m..
    real and barca play in a completly different league with revenue of 518m and 482m respectivly ..

the lowest of the english top four (ManU, ManC, Chealski and Arsenal) would be arsenal with 282m which still is "a bit" more ..

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In Turkish terms, the big 3 are huge (they've 50 out of 57 Super Lig titles, and 29 of the last 30 titles) and Galtasaray are simply a colossus.

The issue of finances for the big 3 somewhat distorted by the politics surrounding the ownership/presidency of these clubs. I knew a guy who was pretty senior at the business of the guy who owned Galatasaray in the mid 90s (Ibrahim Polat Holding FWIW) and it's kind of like the situation in Italy: local boy makes good and pumps $$$ into the club, signing better players and refurbing the stadium, upgrading training facilities, etc in exchange for the adulation of the fans and maybe the political clout that comes with that. Financial viability is a purely secondary consideration, if it's a consideration at all.

It's happened with other clubs, most recently Gaziantepspor, but it's most pronounced with the big 3. The downside is that the budgets of these clubs have, shall we say, a slight tendency to vary with the President's financial fortunes. The smaller the club, the smaller the sponsor's/owner's fortune and the greater the volatility, which is why so many of these smaller clubs don't pay their players on time, if at all.

JSS85's figures seem pretty accurate and I have nothing to add there.

LouisianaViking07/09 and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Unfortunately, Jones is not in the 18 today.

If the US plays a friendly against Ukraine in 10 days, I'm thinking that it is unlikely that Jones plays in it.

keller4president repped this.
  7. JSS85

JSS85 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    with the current situation in the Ukraine i think it is unlikely anyone is going to play

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Reschedule that for a game against Poland

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-28-14
    JJ started and went 58 in his first match for the Black Eagles today. He played as an attacking #8 and spent most of his time up field. He did not look to have full fitness but we did see a few patented Jones sprints including a couple of defensive chase downs which is good news as far as injury recovery. He also had a few nice one touch passes in build up play. All in all, a good shake-the-rust-off performance after a 2 month+ absence from competitive matches.

Nice to see him back on the pitch as a football player instead of a football celebrity which had been his role in Turkey so far.

10. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad Boy auf dem Bosporus: Jermaine Jones at Beşiktaş

[​IMG]

12. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soaring with the Black Eagles, Jermaine Jones at Beşiktaş

13. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we now know which one of the twins will be playing the #6 role in the -2- line at WC2030.

[​IMG]

"Did that man just foul my dad? I better go down there and straighten him out"

stonejh127, jakepc42, Dervos and 5 others repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Dude has some photogenic kids. AMERICA FTW

Deeneaus repped this.
  15. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I gave it a few days to see if we got any more contenders but it looks like based on rep recieved out of the 4 or 5 suggestions thrown out in the last 2-3 pages the winner is @naopon

@bungadiri @Friedel'sAccent thread title change please: Bad Boy auf dem Bosporus: Jermaine Jones at Beşiktaş

16. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it.

By the way: Asheville? I grew up in Fayette-nam, myself.

Tom Collingsworth and naopon repped this.
  17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize the locals called it that, too. I thought it was just the UNC Chapel Hill folk that have to go down there to work at the hospital down there. Sweet place. Can't go a block without running into another tattoo parlor.

18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had to do with the crime rate during the Viet Nam war era. It was also called The Sodom of the South by some of the dear old thangs that lived in places like Sanford and Cary.

19. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No love for Dur'm, which I miss dearly?

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh, Cary, my home for 5 years. Containment Area of Relocated Yankees. That town annexed more neighbors' land than Hitler.

21. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother just moved to Durham. It's a nice place.

Except for, you know, the D-word.

ttrevett and Hobo repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The good news is there are mods to keep these things on topic...

Oh, wait... hehe

bungadiri repped this.
  23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Upon checking, I have discovered that the Bosporus does not, in fact, run through Durham. Who knew?

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unreal that he did not get any MLS interest. MLS missed a great marketing opportunity that Beşiktaş is taking advantage of.
    [​IMG]

LIMASSOL, Cyprus – Jermaine Jones has admitted that the thought of playing in MLS was on his mind before making the move to Besiktas from Schalke in January.

“I was thinking about it,” said the 32-year-old midfielder at US training ahead of Wednesday’s friendly against Ukraine (2 pm ET; ESPN2, UniMas), “but I wanted to play in the Champions League and obviously MLS teams don’t play in the Champions League. There were no offers or talks but yeah, it was something that I was thinking about.”

“I really like it,” said Jones of his new team. “The supporters are some of the best I’ve seen anywhere in the world. I’ve settled in really well and it helps when you’re living in a city like Istanbul. It’s a great club and a great place to live.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2...dmits-mls-was-his-mind-besiktas-was-right-fit

LouisianaViking07/09 and naopon repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    All roads lead to Raleigh.