Bad Boy auf dem Bosporus: Jermaine Jones at Beşiktaş [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Re: No Reserve-ations: Jermaine Jones at Schalke 04 [R]

That is too bad, so perhaps you would care to elaborate. Will Jones retire? Become permanently disabled? Never play for a decent club again? Fail to pass BB's "good person" test?

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Like it or not but Magath is an "old school dictator" and Jones is of that new wave of athletes that is abrasive, out spoken, & questions authority. Niether are right or wrong. Their prsonalities are bound to clash. It's inevitable. Both should wipe their hands clean of each other. There's no question both are controversial figures. Jones will be gone in the transfer window and that's good. Schalke are a sinking ship though Wolfsburg, who's interested in Jones, isn't in great shape. However, I think that is form wise and not internally like Schalke. Either way an exit for jones is top priority.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Jones is of that "new wave" of athletes that is outspoken??? I don't know how old you are but I'm 38. Outspoken and abrasive behaviour while questioning authority is NOTHING new in football. Heck, it isn't anything new is most sports either.

4. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I really have no idea what Jones did to merit what seems to be a permanent demotion to the Schalke second team, but if there is the slightest bit of evidence that he will bring that behavior to the USMNT, he'll never be invited again. Maybe he is already permanently disabled, just not physically. And, with respect to playing for a decent club again, maybe not. Particularly if other clubs feel that his arrival would be accompanied by a bunch of undesirable baggage.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I've read he has that 'bad boy' auroa(sp) around him, maybe he just has a bad rep and coaches are quick to act on that?

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Magath has worked with him for a year and a half...so not a "really quick to act" situation in this case.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I dunno then, lol must have really pissed magath off. lol

I'd like to see him in italy or spain personally.

8. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

Yeah but Jones was injured for most of that time and I remember an interview with Jones during rehab where he said he didn't have any contact with Magath yet and that was after Magath was there almost a year.

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think their relationship never really took off from the start and this is Magath's excuse to bench him or get rid of him. It was just building up to this point, I think.

He's do well in Italy...if he can get back to being 100%

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Sure, but that is not to say he did not know Jones nor his personality until this season started.

There seemed to be some tension between them from the get-go.

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

I agree, he sort of has some 'pirlo'ness to him, his vision really shocked me when playing for the USMNT.

I must admit I dont watch much european soccer besides spain, so I didnt know much about how he played beyond what i read here.

When he played with teh USMNT his vision and touch on the ball was class....

12. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

His vision and touch are below average Bundesliga level. Maybe should watch more German soccer.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

For the USMNT he is plenty!

Still can't touch teh creativity and playmaking I see in Argentina or Brasil. :p TyC baby! :p

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence

Jermaine Jones responds to Magath:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussb...maine-jones/ich-bin-hier-der-suendenbock.html

In short, he feels that perhaps he's being scapegoated for Schalke's problems, Magath's allegations about him leaking info to the public are totally unfair and unjustified, as he's never done anything like that, and he realizes he's not in his coach's plans.

He also claims that contrary to Magath's assertions, the reserve coach has been satisfied with Jones' play. He has had to sit out training recently with an ankle injury though.

15. USAAAAAAAA

USAAAAAAAA Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any of our German friends have updates on this? Any talk of reconciling with Magath or looking for a new club?

16. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to this article from Dec 17,
    http://www.ruhrnachrichten.de/sport...r-ohne-Uchida-Jones-aussen-vor;art522,1130091
    he will not be travelling with the team to the Winter training camp in Turkey and signs point to a transfer. Of course, there has to be an interested team involved. Otherwise, Jones will be a high-paid member of the reserve team.

As Magath is quoted, "Jones will not travel with us to training camp. I haven't gotten a signal from our Amateur/Reserves trainer that Mr. Jones is distinguishing himself or is winning anybody over with his play."

I am pretty sure he used to refer to him as Jermaine, so calling him Mr. Jones doesn't make it sound like a resolution is near.

17. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: No ReserJones ve-ations: Jermaine Jones at Schalke 04 [R]

a little bit more on Jones from
    http://www.ruhrnachrichten.de/sport/schalke/news/art15837,1137502

It says that Jones makes 4 Million Euro per season, but will need to take a financial hit if wants to move. The sentiment is that he will not get that kind of money elsewhere.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Thats about 5.3ish million USD yearly. Not bad.

19. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach

He won't get a similar salary anywhere else now. That could be more or less the end of his active career. He hasn't been a star at a young age, it took him a while to get a really big contract; this is the contract of his life. He's 29, 3.5 years on his contract -> 16 million € until he's 32, and in the fall of his career.
    Has anybody any idea how Jones could make similar money with a transfer? It's just not the point in time to say "playing time is more important; play, play good, and you'll get great offers"; he is on his great contract. There's just no way he could make the same money anywhere else before he retires. If I were his wife...

20. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia

... Jones would be trapped in some horrible alternative universe.

So let's get back to his options in the here and now.

1) Stay put. I assume Schalke is on the hook, i.e. they have to pay him whether they demote him, sit him, whatever. Jones gets his money, true, but in all other ways the status quo seems unsatisfactory.

2) Move on. Could Schalke arrange a transfer whereby they would (a) waive a transfer fee if the receiving team paid Jones' great salary; and/or (b) pay a portion of Jones' great salary for the next year (or two or three).

Couldn't a creative deal solve this problem (for both player and club)?

21. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good points, and I forgot to include in my post that the contract goes through 2014. As a result, he could go the route of Albert Streit, also at Schalke, and in essence retire with a fat paycheck. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

22. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006

Jones should consult Freddy "Show me the money" Adu about how to handle salary disputes with your club.

On second thought....maybe not.

23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is not a salary dispute, however. Schalke have to pay him and will if there is no transfer. It is more of a playing time dispute right now, and doesn't look to change as long as Magath is in charge.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

He needs to go on loan where Schalke eats a portion (~ 50%) of his salary.

If he performs, it will establish some sort of a base regarding his worth as a player.

If he performs as he has so far in 2010-2011, then Schalke will gave to eat bulk of the deal.

He is very expensive now, even on loan, but if I were running a desperate club like 'Gladbach ...

25. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, you don't know that.

SFS is probably right that a loan to a club that'll pay a hefty chunk of his salary might be Jones' best bet, at least for the rest of this season.

Or maybe he could move to LA and pair with Juninho in our midfield. I'd be fine with that. Though he's probably too young for il Bruce.