AZ----2013-14--no stopping us now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by CANADA-AZ, Aug 20, 2012.

1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    If that's okay with you I'll do that.

2. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    So we survive playing a man short the whole game and a fire--(which probably helped)-

-and now we get to play in Europa league against teams that other than Haifa I've never heard of before-

-we should be able to move on to the next round

3. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    its great to see one of our clubs didn't crash and burn this week in European competition

Did not see either PSV or Ajax but the stink made it all the way to Canada

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Of course Ajax played one of the five best clubs in the world. PSV played one of the best teams in Bulgaria, enough said.

5. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Ajax does not score on a PK and were passengers from the highlights I saw--they were crap and probably fully intimidated

PSV lose to the best team in Bulgaria????--what's next the best team in Uzbekistan??---

Excuses flow from losers like a fine whine-

-at least we will get to see which one of these 2 powerhouses recovers this weekend

AZ played rope a dope for a half then showed how to win

6. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    yeah, because those usually show the whole story...

Did you watch the extended highlights, or just the TSN/Sportsnet highlights that only show the Barca/Messi half of the game?

And no, they weren't fully intimidated. It's laughable that you make assumptions like that based on the final scoreline. Sure they eventually succumbed to Barca's superior class, but they put up a decent fight. Barca's only goal in the first half was a world class free kick. They didn't exactly go out there trembling. TBH I think de Boer was more intimidated (given his player selection and subs) than any of the players out there.

Orange14 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pretty much agree with TFC on this. Ajax played to their abilities which unfortunately are way below Barca's. I don't think any club in the Eredivisie would have done any better, the talent and experience gulf are that deep.

8. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Ajax shut down Barca for an hour in the open by playing football without parking the bus. Very few other teams are able to do that, the 4-0 did not reflect the reality of the match. It's telling that Barca's goalie was the motm.

AZ in turn did well to nick the points, given the field conditions. PSV was simply a disgrace.

9. Verbeek called the win a stolen victory, because in his opinion AZ didnot play well. To quick in loosing possession and to often playing the long ball. He was only pleased with his defense.

10. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Folks--I'm only on this because the Eredivisie co-efficient numbers are tanking fast-

-only AZ has any wins so far in Europe this season--whether they steal a game or dominate---its the results that count

If this keeps up there won't be an automatic CL berth in a few years

Granted I did not see the Ajax or PSV game but results are all that's counted---good tries and hard working efforts are the domain of losers--

I watched all of the AZ game and felt all we needed to do is score--which we eventually did

I have a feeling if Ajax had scored first or even the second goal things would have ended differently

Now who is going to tell me I'm delusional on that one?

Perhaps if Ajax played as well as everyone here seems to think then maybe just maybe they would have scored a goal--but that never happened so as brave and courageous as you want to paint them--they got blanked

sorry but sometimes reality sucks

11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You're delusional if you think there was a chance Ajax could get a point against Barça.

12. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No one here is painting them as brave and courageous. We're saying that they didn't roll over for Barca like you suggest. In fact you're the one making assumptions about how they played based on highlight videos and the final score.

Ajax created a couple of dangerous chances, but they just didn't work out. For example that header by van Rhijn, the shot from the edge of the box from (??), the Bojan chance near the end. It wasn't because they were afraid that they didn't finish them, it was just the same kind of misses that we see in any game.

Siggy sucks though.

sonicdream repped this.
  13. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    So AZ beats both Ajax and PSV at home--not bad--not bad at all-we could actually win it this year if the stars align

-and unlike the Ajax game which we got a huge break in a questionable red and the PK--I thought today we were the better team

On the road Verbeek has them playing defensive-kind of a -rope a dope every time--if we score first it works but if not we haven't got the talent up front to get back in when they score first (Altidore and Maher last year)--and lose games against teams we should not lose to
    this is still better than losing last year because our back four with Rejienen and Gorter were hopeless

--we need to be a little more aggressive on the road---I'm thinking they are still figuring out what works best as there are a few players extra on the squad that can slot in--last year there was no depth behind the starters

We do have much more depth this year everywhere and truly the weakest point is now Estaban the keeper( who isn't awful but not as good as last year)-

-no glaring mis-steps by the back 4 any more and Johansson at the back has been a pleasant surprise

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Verbeek has been fired. :s wtf.

15. Wow, I could have made big bucks if I betted on that one. The odds against must have been staggering!

16. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It is weird how it has happened only now.

17. The first comments are that the chemistry between Verbeek with players and the staff deteriorated. I think they put in the players as a smoke screen to hide it is a controversy with the staff.

18. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Something doesn't make sense and getting to the truth will take time-

-with the player he was given he has done a great job the last 2+ years--someone with power did not like him

so much for winning it this year

19. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hallo and greetings all. maybe not the right thread for this but I've been lurking. I'm trying to connect with my dutch heritage and have started watching eredivisie matches. looking for a team to support I settled on AZ because my grandmother was from Schagen. Have also started rosetta stone Nederland...I would be interested in trying to converse in Dutch with others when my practice reaches a significant level. thanks.

DRB300 repped this.
  20. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Stop the presses!!!!!!!!!--another AZ fan

BTV802 and Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    and more importantly, a DC United Fan. We are in dead last place (fortunately the US league does not have relegation) yet we play for the Cup Championship this evening (and an automatic place in our region's Champions League)!

Don't Tread on Me repped this.
  22. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    DC United??--they even lost to that powerhouse TFC last weekend---so you know things can only improve

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    WE WON THE CUP LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. No. not so!
    I posted this in the Yank Abroad thread:

I watched Verbeek giving an interview on the regional broadcaster and later on the national braodcaster in a soccer show about his sacking. Fascinating stuff. According to what Verbeek said it is actually right what has been said about players and supporting staff loosing confidence in his approach. Today the management said in an AD Sportwereld article that there is always something going on but they signal it timely (to the coach I presume). But last week they became worried as the intensity of it increased. They discussed it with Verbeek on Friday and the conclusion was that the players needed a safe environment to perform. That wasnot there and they didnot trust the situation anymore and they stuffed their problems up, didnot communicate anymore. On saturday, the matchday with PSV, Verbeek called them to get things clear and then it was over. He understood that. The decision was taken rationally, not opportunistic. Everybody knows that we internally fought to get things better, in personal conversations too, but it was over. It is good that it can be done like this without slamming doors.
    The next coach they want is the same type as Verbeek.

25. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I guess he passed his best before date on the NAC game-

-really a little sad but he was a lot better than who he replaced--Koeman

we will see today if they are suddenly uplifted and become liberated scoring tigers