AZ----2013-14--no stopping us now

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by CANADA-AZ, Aug 20, 2012.

1. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Well here we go

I'm thinking I will put about 75% of the info and blogs into this one but my idle mind needs an outlet anyways

Moisander wanted to leave because he realizes Viergever is better--if they only got 3 mil for him I'm surprised--he is easily replaceable

to all those Ajax fans---he's not the answer--but you will see

hopefully Maher stays for a little longer--and if Altidore has 15 goals by winter break he will be in the EPL in the new year--it would be nice if he shared the spotlight a little more every time he scores

I've only seen the sammenvetting on both games--it looked like Ajax was the better club and Heracles should have lost by about 12-1--next game is 630 AM Sunday so I won't watch that one either
    In the post game interviews i see Verbeek is still a giant as-hole.

Thye were too thin on the bench last year--that has not been solved this year either

Falkenberg is not the answer--if they can pick up one other midfielder before the end of the month--or another striker and move Martens back---I like their starters

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    You can be proud of AZ. What with all the players you lost (Elm in particular) you're doing very well. Big fat middle finger to all the pundits who had already written off AZ, as your team is carrying on as usual.

3. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can you elaborate?

4. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    There is a lot of --ME-ME-ME-ME when he scores even when its a tap in

You-tube has someone who has gathered all 15 of his goals from last year--it was the same then as well

5. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I said that already when he headed in a perfect assist from Maher last year and consequently ignored him. Didn't seem to bother you then.

6. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    last year we had just lost/sold Sigi--they were using Falkenberg as a striker--pretty desparate

When Altidore came he brought a presence and hope--a true striker --so I was ready to cut him a lot of slack---go nuts when you score--we don't care we love that we have a striker

-now he knows his role and is performing it very well

they should have had another 5 against Heracles but in truth Altidore only missed one opportunity--so he is coming thru and like i said if this keeps up he will be in the EPL in January--

-scorers are as rare as hen's teeth and a very very valuable commodity--look at Bas Dost

Like anyone he has a big ego and has been told he is the best since he was about 15--a couple of bad stints with Hull and Villareal shook his confidence--getting into super shape this year is a sign of maturity-I hope it continues---sharing the glory a little would be another

7. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    We picked up a midfielder to replace Elm--sounds like a good one--Henriksen

This allows Maher to become the attacking midfielder behind Altidore, Beerens and Martens

I'm sure Falkeburg will now sit and all of a sudden we look a lot better--as long as this guy is the real thing

I wish the PSV game was a couple of weeks away so we could adjust the new guy into the lineup for that game

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Henriksen is not a bad attacking midfielder himself and maybe has a better shot than Maher from distance.

9. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The PSV vs AZ match this Sunday will be on ESPN Deportes at 8:25am EST as the 2nd game of a back to back to back Eredivisie tv coverage. 3 Dutch matches in a row!!

vagegast and BaritoPutra repped this.
  10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dismal Europa Cup performance!

11. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Can't really blame them seeing how many players they've lost and considering that Anzhi is actually a v. strong side. Some of the so-called Dutch supertalents had a reality check though.

12. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Jozy is in impressive form so far. If he keeps this up he will be topscorer at the end of the season.

13. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    He keeps this up and he will be in England by January. He is just plain quicker and makes AZ team itself more lethal with the added speed--he can outrun defenders---something we did not see last year---

Today was the first game I have actually watched this year. They looked pretty decent. Wijnandam impressed me and Beerens was excellent.

question here--AZ sold Dembele for 6.6 mil--2 years ago---now he moves for 15 mil--do they get anything for the last move?

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Making a stupid mistake again. Altidore remains a poor footballer and many mediocre footballing strikers can look good in the Eredivisie. How has he done for the US Team? Also scoring lots of goals? At AZ he is surrounded by pretty good footballers in Beerens, Maher and Martens seeing his runs and also passing the ball to him on the right moments.

It's called improvement. Verbeek is working on him, with him, making his foundations better. He is already better capable to control a ball. At Dutch clubs he is getting the attention to improve, at many EPL clubs they just expect you can play your football and if you don't perform you are benched. He has failed so much already that if he goes by Januari I will enjoy his fall. People with such twisted self images and lack of putting own performance in the proper context deserve to be punished. I have the same attitude towards Dutch players moving too early mind you.

I don't think so. Feyenoord also got nothing for RVP moving from Arsenal to United. Transfers in foreign country's self don't count to the rule.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^ Altidore is a decent footballer but no more. He really should have moved to the Eredivisie rather than Villareal where he didn't see any game action at all. If Charlie Davies had not been so seriously injured in the horrible traffic accident, Altidore would not be featured on the US NT. He is a strong player but not very subtle and can be marked out of a game pretty easily.

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jody is only 22 years old. In 2 months 23. Vertonghen left at 25 and is a better footballer. Jody needs this full year and at minimum another year to confirm his higher level. If he falls back in that year, he needs another year. Even in that case he will be 25, close to 26. Still an excellent age to move.

17. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    hat trick for jozy. nice result for AZ.

18. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Without a doubt the weakest AZ team since I started following them on the internet 9 years ago--sure Jozy and Maher had to sit but the rest of the team was sad

Gorter does not belong--sorry coach--Reijnen looked good last year but he had lots of support with Moisander and Poulson--today he is lost

that NEC game was bad but every game they give up softies at the back all season long and seem to always be trailing--we need a stopper of some sort--Alverado is making errors but that's probably because he wonders who or what is going on

Henriksen is too young to plug in full-time--
    Berghuis--hopeless-
    -Beerens out there by himself

Who can really score for them if its not Jozy or Maher-

-without Martens NEC was the better team from kick-off and deserved the win--we never threatened

19. Jozy going to breach the wetterpoarte in Snits?
    It means the storming of the water gate of Snits or Sneek in real Dutch.
    This week it is the confrontation of Holland vs Friesland in the cup matches. We, Hollanders are going to smash Friesland.

We from Holland donot fear
    that awesome Greate Pier
    That criminal our shores to raid
    with a two meter long blade
    He may be bad,
    but luckily also 500 year dead
    ;)

We will get revenge for the raiding of our cities by the Frisians...Go Jozy go:)

Okay, Telstar spoiled the party by losing against Leeuwarden Cambuur

20. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Pretty crazy--all I'm hoping for is no injuries to any starters

21. Everything went well in Snits!
    Coming sunday: AZ vs VVV!
    The first ever professional socccer match that took place in the Netherlands was between these teams in 1954: Alkmaar '54 vs Venlo (3-0).
    Alkmaar '54 is one of the merger clubs of AZ.
    VVV never won in Alkmaar.

22. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    I wasn't at that first game--but--our family went back to Holland for almost a year in 1958--don't ask me why--both my parents have told several different stories why--my thinking is home sick--but the opportunities were better for the kids in Canada so they came back

considering we were living north of Price Rupert B.C. at the time of the return--we crossed all of Canada and took a boat back from Halifax--they could have flown out of Vancouver

-I was 8 years old and saw Alkmaar against Volendam lose 1-2 that fall
    --standing behind the goal where all the scoring took place in a steady drizzle--I remember it was a lot of fun

23. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Not looking good for AZ lately.

Rumour has it that Verbeek has already pledged his future to Twente and that he will take over from McClaren after this season.. which might explain why it looks like he's given up on this team.

24. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Verbeek signed a 3 year extension last Feb--but contracts mean nothing in the footy world--so mybe you have something

Twente has more resources than AZ so it's a move forward if he goes there. On the English language broadcast against Gronigen they were speculating he may move to Club Brugge

One bad season does not mean capitulation--Van Gaal had a horrid season with AZ the year before they won it all---he was going to leave but the team asked him to hang around

Last year they ran out of gas and bodies due to 1-the long Euro and Dutch Cup---and 2-Ajax running the table---if you look at the standings in Feb---they were there

This year they have a completely new midield--far too young to compete--losing Martens to injury really hurt--so they will end mid-table and probably get more mature next year-

--although Gorter has to go--no talent and costs us a goal a game with his incompetence---note to scouts--bad move
    ---Maher will probably leave
    --Viergever will probably leave
    --Altidore probably stays one more year unless someone showers him with money somewhere

25. Well, where they got that rumour from I donot know, as there is no mentioning of it in the Dutch media.