Australia v Germany - Friendly - Mar 29 [R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by el-capitano, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Isn't it amazing when the "big" European teams (England, Holland & Germany) get beaten by a mangy Aussie side, how the European "fans" come out and have to cover their embarrassment by calling the game "just a meaningless friendly". I rarely see the same comment when they beat the said-same Aussie team. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  2. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But Andy, it was just a friendly.

3. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    But a good win too. That's what get's up their noses. :)

4. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I know I am gonna get the heat for this one but probably their efforts fall short when compared to:

Really Lucas? 2-1 friendly win is the response to a 4-0 WC loss? not just a response, a "perfect" response! :p

*runs and takes cover*

5. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    P.S. Good win, I knew there was a reason why we let you in Asia ;)

6. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It's not likely Australia is going to be beating Germany 4-0 in a WC in the next couple of years. A win away from home is the best possible revenge we could get.

7. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia will always play well against European teams because that is where the majority of them are based.

It's also what we prefer to play against.

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Not sure what the problem is. He didn't say it was an equally impressive win. Just that given the circumstances, they bounced back in the best way possible.

Can you think of a better result than a win, after being beaten by a team in your last encounter with them?

9. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Why even bother?

10. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I see what you mean, however I still think there might have been a better way of putting it. It came across as "yeah we got back at you with this win". A bit like beating the British at a one day test and saying that's the response for the ashes since the win was the best possible results!

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think you're just interpreting it that way because you're coming at it with a preconceived notion that Australians are arrogant.

Australia responded to the beating last time by winning this time. From the captain's, that's perfect - he couldn't ask for more from his team.

He doesn't say anything about the match being comparable.

12. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But everyone else mentioning Pim after the win makes it out as very comparable.

In all reality, Germany tried to walk through the game. And with our performance in the first half, it was working, so they didn't try to step it up in the second half. We caught them out and they struggled to turn it on in their panic. If Germany had come out and played against us, we would've received a very similar flogging to last time. We weren't nearly as great as most are making out. (Though, despite that, Carney's goal was very good.)

That said, I'm very happy with the win, but it didn't fill me with much satisfaction through the day.

... Though, I will say I enjoyed reading Kicker and seeing them say we beat their "second guard."

13. footballscoutau

footballscoutau New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sure it was just a Friendly. With players like Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Lukas Podolski, Mario Gomez, Miroslav Klose, Arne Friedrich on the pitch, it isn't exactly their 'second guard. But winning or losing isn't the real issue, because Friendly’s are testing grounds.

I have always been frustrated with Australia's style of play, but it seems there might be a small amount of improvement coming one day. It has always reminded me of watching a juniors match with everyone screaming "pass it!!"

Just comparing the styles... the German's passages of play (with 15 one-touch passes in 15 seconds) to Australia's style of hoping for the "one-off killer ball to get through" is still frustrating to watch in 2011. But they seem to be improving a little on that score. I hope so.

14. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Congratulations what a wonderful result. Doesn't matter what people are saying, the germans had a 11 very quality players on the pitch and to go there and get the win is great. I think this game will be very defining in making that change to Australia's style of play that you guys say occured between 1st & 2nd halves (i didn't watch unfortunately).

Holger's system doesn't really rely on one magnificent individual which is good for a team which may or may not need to have a quick generation transition.

15. Nvim

Nvim New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    You are talking about a nation of 20 odd million people where "soccer" isn't the premier football code, in fact, ranks #3 and until recently even making the world cup was a significant achievement.

For the most part, we are a minnow in terms of world football, we don't have the population to develop a deep talent pool, don't have the same resources as the big football nations do.

For us to fairly regularly beat the big european nations in friendlies is a significant achievement given all the factors discussed.

16. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    While I fully agree that "soccer" is not the top sport in Australia but Australia as a nation is probably top 5 globally in terms of sports! I have never seen amount of attention sports in general gets anywhere else. So while other countries have the problem of picking a best eleven out of a small segment of society that cares about playing sports, Australia has the luxury to pick from a much bigger segment of society.

Anyways this has absolutely nothing to do with the point I raised. Beating, heck even drawing, the current squad of Germany in a friendly is a big achievement which probably Iran and New Zealand (two countries I support) will not be able to achieve any time soon. My point was around the specific comment of linking this win as some sort of a pay back to a 4-0 WC loss.

17. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good point.

Just as an example...there are only approximately 60,000 registered players in Victoria. Slightly less in other states such as Western Australia and a bit over four times that amount in NSW. That's not a very large number to develop.

18. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Amongst Kamran's backhanded compliments, s/he does make some valid points. And once I work out what they are, I'll be the first to let everyone know.

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He wasn't referring to "payback". There really is no such thing anyway, just another match down the track. He was referring to the fact the team came back from that defeat to play positively against them. Sometimes mentally its hard to face up to a team that has heavily defeated you, but he (Lucas Neill) was expressing pleasure at the fact that his team didn't suffer from that.

20. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Actually there was no compliment there, only facts. You just managed to beat Germany, in Germany big thing to achieve. I don't understand what is so backhanded about that?

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Germany began with only three regular starters (Friedrich isn't anymore), so it's not that far fetched.

22. Bass0r

Bass0r Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Tokyo/N. Velidhoo
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They also put on a lackluster performance; slow and unmotivated. Looked more like they were saving energy rather than going out to win convincingly.