Australia - Upcoming Fixtures

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Caesar, Mar 15, 2006.

1. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I'll probably attend one of those matches with a few friends; most likely the Abu Dhabi fixture, since it's close by.

I'm not optimistic about playing Egypt. I think they can hammer us good, when they're at their best.

2. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I believe Egypt is a bit of a paper tiger. Their FIFA ranking (yes, yes I know - the FIFA rankings are bullshit anyway), doesn't tell the whole story about them at all and in reality they should be much lower than they are. It won't be an easy match by any means but a win is definitely not an unrealistic thought.

3. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    iv'e never understood how egypt can do so well in the cup of nations, yet fail to qualify for the WC...

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    IMO a full strength Egypt is the best African side by far. Obviously that statement isn't helped by their qualification record. But in SA I reckon (had they made it) they would have had the strongest group stage of any african
    Rep.

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Assuming Egypt give a shit about this game it could be quite a test. As it stands this and the UAE game will give us a better idea of what Holger's capable of.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is the next game for the Socceroos? Tournament? Schedule?

After this hearbreaking defeat to Japan I was wondering when is the next game for the Roos and when is the next tournament they're in?

Would it be the World Cup qualifiers already?? Can someone post the Socceroos schedule please?

7. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: When is the next game for the Socceroos? Tournament? Schedule?

Pretty sure Australia have a friendly with Germany in march or something coming up. But yeah no competetive fixtures til WCQ. But I suppose you can follow Olympic qualifiers and Olympics 2012 coming up.

8. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But the Olympics is amateurs and that's crap. I want to see the BEST compete like in the Asian Cup we just saw!

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well I suppose for Socceroos fans its just a few friendlies til the WCQ start early next year or so. I'm not concerned cause Japan get to play Copa America in June so its still happening.

10. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WTF??!? Since when is Japan in the Americas??

11. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

As CONMEBOL has 10 countries, they need 2 more to have a tournament structure. So each edition they invite two countries. This time its Japan & Mexico. A great opportunity to get experience against some world class opponents playing for their continental title (Argentina is in Japan's group for a start). If Japan put on a decent show and prove its a positive addition, it'll lead to more invites for them in future so I hope they do well.

12. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

WOW! This is a tremendous opportunity for Japan!! They could play Brazil and/or Argentina. I'll be sure to watch. When is it?

I wish they'd invite the U.S. and Japan!

13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Japan has been invited before (1999, japan did crap). They've already determined the group stage, tournament's in Argentina.

Japan's in group A : Argentina, Japan, Colombia, Bolivia.

Group stage at least play Argentina, besides from that group I'd say Japan should progress.

Although all other teams are taking their best sides probably, cause Japan called up europe-based for the Asian Cup it'll be difficult to get ALL of them for the Copa America.

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I see it's in July. I wish the U.S. was in it!!

You wouldn't happen to know what network will be broadcasting it in America would you? lol

Columbia could be tough. I'm sure MLS star Juan Pablo Angel will be there. Japan should win but I wouldn't be shocked if Columbia pulled an upset or tied them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Copa_América

15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown

Univision.

The usa was not invited because they believe that Mexico and Japan are more worthy competition for such a prestigious tournament.

I don't think JPA's been called up in a while. He's getting up there in age.

16. Ivan01

Ivan01 New Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

USA were invited to the last tournament but if i'm not wrong they brought a B team hence have not been invited back.

17. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is correct. They should invite us again the next iteration as our depth has improved and our "B" team wouldnt be as bad as 2007.

FYI Mexico will not send their "A" unless they are knocked out of the Gold Cup early.

18. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010

Upcoming matches of importance, at the earliest:

June 2011 - 2012 Olympic Games Football Qualifications
    September 2011 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifications

I hope we manage to qualify for both events. :)

19. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005

But wouldn't be the Olympics team that will be most likely to be also the team of WC 2014 and 2015? Or beating the aged horses once again?

If you want to see a good compete, the best is perhaps to seed the talents.

20. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nina, you're from Australia so whatcha doing in Qatar?

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  22. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

There would at least be Wilkshire, Valeri, Jedinak, Carney:mad:, McKay, Ogmonster and Kilkenny that played in the Asian Cup, are not part of the "Golden Generation" and will still probably be around for next WC (Og maybe not) but are too old for Olympic quals.

23. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

With the U20 WC coming up in Colombia there will be no shortage of opportunities to put the kids to the test.

Germany friendly will look again at a bunch of guys who didn't make it into the AC squad for whatever reasons (a big night for Rukavytsya and possibly Nate Coe) and those who made the preliminary: Sarota, Herd, Bozanic, Mooy. A lot of those guys are eligible for London iirc and will be interesting to see if they get into the qualifying squad.

U23 Qualifiers will be the best of Four Nations tournament team plus Kruse, Burns and Spira. Big opportunity for those three and DeVere, Dzugandzic and Neville. Sadly the leftback options there are pretty slim - Mullen or Golec, the winger stuck in a centre half's body.

U20 WC will give the Oar-Amini-Kanta generation their shot at glory and a spot in the Brazil campaign. Their backline was horrific in Bejing but the attacking talent should get them into the headlines even without Bulut.

Logistics will probably compell another Asia-Euro Roo split campaign but the increasing quality of the A-League and the emergence of Asian based players should make this a little less fraught than in 2008.

An Asian squad of:

GK: Galekovic, Theoklitos
    DF: DeVere, Ognenovski, Spiranovic, Milligan, Franjic, Rose, Bojic
    MF: Culina, Dzugandzic, Carle, McKay, Amini, Leckie, Paartalu, Kantarovski, Nichols
    FW: Kennedy, Kruse, Brosque, Djite, Thompson

or similar wouldn't humiliate itself, in accomodation with a few regulars.

24. Schoolboy Errors

Schoolboy Errors New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Read something about Chile in winter at AAMI Park.

Sounded good to me.

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That should be a good game but I doubt we can see it on TV in America? Unless FSC somehow picks it up?

They have picked up friendlies even more obscure than that.