Austin Aztex PDL Club Announced

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by mgrayscale, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just been announced by David Markley that the Austin Aztex will take the field in the 2012 season in the USL PDL ranks. Although the name is the same as the previous regime, the name is the only thing that is the same. The aim is to put the ATX back in Aztex.

[​IMG]

2. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news. Nice to see soccer return to Austin. Looking forward to coming out to games in 2012.

3. JustinR1015

JustinR1015 Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent news! Can't wait to get to some matches and support the team. I think Markley is doing an incredible job support soccer in Austin, and providing opportunities to our young players. So excited.

4. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great logo, great news!

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really great to see you guys getting pro soccer back. Get out there and support them and hopefully we'll see you move up the ranks soon.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be nitpicky, it's not pro soccer. It's a PDL team. Details aside, I'm excited to see the Aztex and higher-level (above rec) soccer back in Austin. Fingers crossed, it will turn into a pro team someday, when a solid foundation has been laid.

7. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    A very happy day.

Looking forward to seeing the player signings and everything unfold over the next several months.

8. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Fine. Even more nitpicky.:) So it could be a pro team in the PDL. However, it won't be. From a couple Eberly's Army tweets:

10. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder who we'd need to talk to at BigSoccer to get the old logo at the top of the forum replaced?

11. Darius Tor

Darius Tor New Member

May 7, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing news. When I moved to Austin last year I was so exited to finally live in a town with a pro soccer team. That excitement turned to disappointment when the team announced they where leaving a month latter. May not be a pro team but I am excited again. I will be getting season tickets when they come out.

Since no other PDL team has a forum will we loose ours?

12. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I hope not. We are still a USL expansion candidate, which is where they stuck us in the nav.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Forum existence depends entirely on traffic. We have one of the most verbal lower division groups on Big Soccer. The only thing that needs to happen now is for our forum to get moved back to the USL level. And that logo change:)

Probably the most effective way to expedite that is a PM to the forum moderators.

14. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to the Austin fans - glad to see you have a team back! Let's hope they take their time and build the organization the right way.

15. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent a note to Soccer Prime in another forum asking if we could get the avatar changed for the Austin Forum.

16. JC Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 12, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This has made me so happy. I didn't think we'd see soccer back in Austin so soon. I actually enjoyed the PDL games and rarely missed any. For me the games were more open and entertaining than the pro team although I rarely missed any of their games either. Any rumours yet about where they'll be playing? House again? I'm so excited.

Jim :D

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Barrovianhordes

Jul 5, 2008
    LEANDER TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great news, everybody needs to spread the word that live competitive Soccer is back in Austin :D

Go Aztex;)

19. wchrisr

wchrisr New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    austin
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we will not lose this team. GO AzTeX!

20. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congratulations to you VC, and all your soccer loving brethren in Austin! Very glad to hear it will only wind up being one season that you didn't have a team to go out and support.

The press release as well as some of the supporter comments seem to indicate that there is some long-term thinking with this scenario that would see a pro team return to Austin. I know it's very early on, but any ideas on how they would at least like to see that progress? Set up the PDL team, get some talent in the pipeline, find the right investor, and then use the PDL team to funnel talent to a D2 or D3 pro team? Or do you think the long term vision would be to just build the foundation with the PDL team, and then move it up?

Either way, sounds like you guys are getting a well-deserved second chance to build on the gains you made from 2009 - 2010. With a good stadium situation (one that sells beer for one thing!) and some talented young players developed at the PDL level, you guys could be looking at giving the pro ranks another shot in a couple years I'd think. Good luck!

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not speaking for the owners here, but I'll say what I think. The only way for it to work would be to 'promote' the PDL team. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single thriving PDL team that has a D2 or D3 team over it. There are teams that have youth clubs in their system, and PDL teams tied to MLS teams (but I doubt even they are thriving), but nothing with a D2 or D3 team over a PDL team that I can remember. But it's a big league, and I haven't been paying a much attention to the PDL as I'm sure I will next year.

For the record, it was 2008-2010. 2008 we had the PDL Aztex U23s. Which actually was an improvement over the 2007 Lightning.:)

Regarding the stadium... the stadium situation here is no different than it ever has been. And I do find it odd that people in all forums keep talking about "good stadium situation + beer". I guess it's a sign of how solid MLS is that people are now expecting it out of lower division soccer. And maybe I should start imaging the possible rather than dwelling on the current realities. But I just can't yet.:) Unless we find someone with serious deep pockets and magical political skills, it will be a long while before a stadium happens that is the kind we want with the beer selection we want in the location we want.

22. TexasBarcaFan

TexasBarcaFan Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    MGrayscale will be on Futbol En Vivo tomorrow to discuss all of the exciting details!

Locally at 91.7 FM KOOP or online at koop.org. Matt will be on from 1:30-2 CT.

23. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also still available as a podcast, right?

24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they're still being posted on the Eberly's Army website.

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Working on it. If it is not changed in the next 2 weeks, please remind me again and I will pester the proper people.

Most likely we will move the Austin thread (renamed) to the USL Club level when the 2012 season arrives. Until then we'll probably just keep it where it is. But like VC said, traffic volume is the name of the game. As long as people are posting here, PDL or USL Pro, you are safe. This is your forum.

Again, congrats Austin fans. Let me or ButlerBob (your other mod) know if we can help in any other way.