Aussie W-League '12-'13

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 23, 2012.

1. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
  2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
  3. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Fishlock isn't new to the W-League...has played before...

Leroux was quite close this year...Tobin Heath was all but signed last-year (along with Lindsey), but that fell through when US Soccer extended their Victory Tour by two matches (against Scotland, I think?!?!?!)

Hope Solo was also in actual talks, but fell through for this year...2014 is a high possibility...

Other major names this year (I'm trying to recall off the top of my head and I know I'll forget some, so please add to the list if/when I do): Nadine Angerer (Germany Captain, UEFA European Female Footballer of the Year and Women's Player of the Year Shortlist), Sandvej [sp?] (Denmark), Julien (Canada), Andrews (Canada), Kendall Fletcher (US), Tori Huster (US), Chantel Jones (US), Stephanie Ochs (US), Jessica Samuelsson (Sweden Euro 2013, Linköpings FC), Katie Hoyle (New Zealand), Emme Kete (New Zealand)

4. The Valiants

The Valiants Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Melbourne
    Here's some highlights from the TV game in round 1. Sydney FC 5-1 Melbourne Victory. Check out the team move for Sydney's 5th goal, 7 mins in.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Really weird to see Brisbane lose by such a large GD, even if it was to Canberra... I wasn't paying enough attention during the W-League offseason, (I was following NWSL,) what's Brisbane's story on transfers?

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, maybe it was just Canberra, who're still tied on top of the table, and not any worries at Brisbane: the Roar flipped the 0-3 scoreline around in week 2, beating Perth and drawing even with the Glory in the table.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Just realized we probably should make a new thread for the new season...

Anyway, I found this really nice:
    Really nice to see support for SFC from Canberra, especially when SFC has already outperformed Canberra's results from last year.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In league news, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Adelaide(^.^) won this weekend, still leaving Canberra and SFC at the top of the table on GD, interestingly. Also, I had not clue ex-Breaker Lisa-Marie Woods was at Adeliade. Fun. =-)

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    nice highlights!
    Sydney FC has the makings of a 'super' team Taylor had 10 goals in 10 games for Goteberg in the Swedish League earlier this year. Foord & Kerr had solid seasons in the NWSL. Never heard of Harrington, Bolger or Kete before but they all look like stars in the making! Especially Harrington who's only listed at 17 year old. Hope they win the Mobecast Cup

Are their any W-League games that get streamlined or saved on the web?(I couldn't find any on youtube)

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    And she only played half the season, 10 goals/10 games. Press was the only player that beat that average in Damallsvenskan this year and no-one beat that average last year (of player that played ten game or more at least, and it is the same as Mittag's 2012 average 1,00 goal/league game).

11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Some get streamed via Australia's ABC(?) channel, but it's geoblocked, so I can never get the stream to work here in the States.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LFL Australia is now underway, and I'm wondering if any of the W-League teams will look to recruit any of these players. I bet some of them have some skills.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    dunno know if the silicone would hold if these girls played in a game like soccer where you actually sweat!

back to Aussie W-league,
    Sydney played again Melbourne, but this time to just a 1-1 tie. Melbourne got supplemented by the recent arrival of Wales International, Jessica Fishlock, who scored they're only goal.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #65 SiberianThunderT, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    *their
    (Sorry, had to)
    Also, I don't think Fishlock is that recent an addition... I thought she scored for the Victory in round 3 as well.

Anyway, elsewhere in the W-League, the shock result of the round (to me, at least) was Adelaide's win over the Roar. I know the Roar got a red card in the fifth minute, but it's still REALLY weird to see the (historically) worst team in the league beat one of the league's best. I mean, the Reds have averaged less than four points per season, and now have seven with over half the season left!
    Poor Newcastle, though, are they the new Adelaide? They only finished higher than the Reds last season on GD.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I mean't Fishlock wasn't in the 1st game last month where Melbourne got clobbered by Sydney, 5-1. Checking out the lineups of the W-League teams,; they average about 28 players each. Why so much?(the Bundesliga only averages about 22)

16. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Many of those never see the field. FFA only allows 16 to dress per match and most teams will only travel with 16. The remaining 10-14 are typically used as a "second-squad"... or 'developmental players' - so-to-speak - especially since the second-tier of women's football in Australia isn't organized outside of the respective State Federations (hoping that will eventually change off the coat-tails of the new NPL being implemented in 2014 or 2015 - I forget exactly when?!?!!?)

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    bumping this thread up since we have been missing the excitement!,

Canberra United won 5 straight in winning this seasons title, faves, Sydney FC lost 2 of their last 3 regular season games

the top four teams were

1. Canberra United
    2. Melbourne
    3. Sydney FC
    4. Brisbane

but shocker in the elimination playoffs! as Brisbane beat the #1 ranked Canberra United. In the other semi, Melbourne beat Sydney. The finale will be this Saturday(2/22)

just found this link to an excellent source to Aussie soccer
    http://www.thewomensgame.com

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  19. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Good to see De Vanna still getting the job done. Great run.

20. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. thesoccerphantom

Nov 4, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    bump......
    any updates this summer or recent happenings, someone in the know start a 2014 thread?

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Aside from Canberra needing to find a new 'keeper, I haven't anything about the upcoming season yet. Then again, I'm not really 'in the know' either, I usually don't turn my attention to foreign leagues until after the US season is over...

23. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Not quite sure how to start a new thread, so feel free to copy and paste this if you know how...

Season 7 will shift 5 weeks up:
    http://thewomensgame.com/2014/07/the-w-league-to-return-in-mid-september-2014/

...issues around that schedule shift:
    http://thewomensgame.com/2014/07/shift-in-w-league-season-creates-issues-to-navigate/

Besides the aforementioned issue with Canberra's GK...Perth has been very busy this off-season with "unofficial" domestic Matilda pick-ups in Sam Kerr, Cailtlin Foord, Alaana Kennedy and GK Alison Arnold...to be added to Kate Gill, Collette McCallum and Aivi Luik...that would be 7 Matildas plus their Junior Matildas and internationals...making them quite potent on paper...