Aussie W-League '12-'13

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Fishlock may be blonde - perhaps with just a smidgeon of help from a bottle - but she's certainly not Swedish :p. I know Larsson's there, but have I missed another Swede?

And what's the story behind Heyman and Shipard refusing the call-up?

2. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Sermanni called them up to be fair to the other W-League teams that were losing players to call ups. I read an article about it. Shipard is still recovering from ACL and wouldn't have played if she went on the trip, so she stayed home to keep up with rehab. I forget what was going on with Heyman.

3. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    My apologies, I was incorrect...Fishlock is Welsh and and Larsson is the Swede...my bad.

4. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Smulan repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I guess I wasn't expecting Canberra to beat INAC anyway, but 0-4 is a tough pill to swallow....

6. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah...from the details I was told, it was a very one-sided match, even outside the scoreline. Gets even tougher next...

7. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Last I heard Canberra was locked-up even 3-3...forgot who they are playing, though?!?!?!

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They played NTV Beleza today in the third-place match, ended up losing 4-3. Much better showing today.

9. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Perth and Canberra's match was post-poned to Dec. 5...but, after this weekend when Perth didn't play...they still remain at the top of the table and a match ahead...even if they would've played and Canberra would've won, they would still be at the top...

Very twisted and interesting W-League thus far...

10. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guess who is rooting for Alex Del Piero in the W-league final ? :cool:
    [​IMG]

11. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I'm sorry...amybe I'm just stupid, but I'm pretty sure there's a punchline...but...I just don't get it?!?!?! Can someone help? - PLEASE!

12. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My bad, no punchline, I should have posted the text too, as shown in Del Piero Facebook page: "This morning with Kyah and Alanna from SydneyFC Women Team.WLeague Gran Final on Sunday. Good luck to the team! Ale"

....because the 2 girls are Kyah and Alanna from Sydney FC, isn't that so ? (I didn't check myself...) :cautious:

13. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    OK...now I get it...:thumbsup:

14. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team is Canberra United (since they don't have an A-League affiliate), but I also support Melbourne Victory, so I hope the Big V complete the Big Blue sweep today.

By the way, for those of you who want to take a look at the action, go here.

15. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Is this game not going to be Geoblocked? Every other game this season was.

16. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure. I just brought the link here.

17. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Cool. I stopped trying earlier this season because they were always geoblocked. Thought you might have discovered they changed it.

18. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the play button but it doesn't say any message that I have been geoblocked.

19. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Melbourne Victory women's side is a joke. Pali Blues would destroy them. That's why I support Canberra United. At least they've already won the damn thing. :thumbsdown:

20. The Valiants

The Valiants Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Melbourne
    grand final highlights

21. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Sorry I didn't get to this sooner...not much help now that the season is over...

...never-the-less...all ABC Grandstand Sport (which has the Westfield W-League contract) broadcasts were geo-blocked this year due to wording in the contract and copyright issues, etc... They are currently working on opening-up the W-League matches next-year as the interest abroad has precluded the negotiation.

...also...I've seen Pali Blues play several times and while they are an explosive side, they are not as consistent across the board as Melbourne...I would think the matvch would be tighter than one might believe.

Let's not have sour-grapes about Canberra. They had their chance to clinch...they fell into a hole early on and this year just didn't get the bounces. They have a tremendous organization with great resources and a fantastic coach...they will be back!

Hachiko repped this.
  22. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    It won't tell you that you've been "geo-blocked," as Federal Regulations won't permit that type of notification. You'll just hit "play" and nothing will happen....just an FYI for future refernce...

23. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pali have won their respective league twice. Melbourne have yet to do so. There is a difference. Canberra...well, they had a tough year but I am sure that if they find the right players, I see them on the rebound.

24. philrothgeb

philrothgeb Member

Oct 11, 2011
    OK...and...as I should've phrased it, Pali would NOT "destroy" Melbourne - as you put it.

...and...how do you go from claiming to support Melbourne one day to throwing them under thr bus the next? - bandwagon, anyone?

25. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cover them on my blog, but I don't support the Melbourne women. I only support the Melbourne Victory men. Canberra United has been my team for years and will continue to be so.