Aussie Strikers

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rockymtn_mike, Oct 25, 2006.

1. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO
    Well folks I need some insight.

Besides Dukes, Aloisi, Kennedy who are your strikers of note? I really like the socceroos but those are the only three I know so who else can grace an appearence on your national team

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well a current forward is Archie Thompson.

other up and comers include Brett Holman (Holland), Scott MacDonald (Scotland)

some youngsters showing promise include Nathan Burns And Bruce Djitie (sp?)

Off the top of my head, thats a few. I'm sure Caesar and other know a few more!!!

3. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    david williams at brondby, scott mc donald (number 1 in the scottish premiership for goals scored) dario vidosic, nathan burns, bruce djite.. all are up and comers

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Seems like people have covered it pretty well. Right now the locks for our team are John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain) and Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

After that you have a band of players who are all vying for the scraps - Scott McDonald (Motherwell, Scotland), Josh Kennedy (1. FC Nürnburg, Germany), Brett Holman (NEC Nijmegen, the Netherlands), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory, Australia), Alex Brosque (Sydney FC, Australia). With the exception of Thompson, all of these guys are in their early 20s and will probably become a lot more prominant in coming years when Viduka and Aloisi (who are both over 30) retire. If I was a betting man, I would say that Kennedy and McDonald are the heirs apparent to Viduka and Aloisi - they have both been impressive in their leagues (particularly McDonald) but have had few chances to impress on the international stage so far.

Finally you have the young guns - guys who are probably a little way off making full-strength national squads and are mainly starring for the under-20s or pushing their case for inclusion in the Olympic squad. David Williams (Brøndby IF, Denmark), James Troisi (Newcastle United, England), Dez Giraldi (Empoli, Italy/Adelaide United, Australia) and Nathan Burns (Adelaide United, Australia) are all players to keep an eye on, and some may well be squad members for our World Cup 2010 campaign.

5. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I guess since they may be picking A-Leaguer's in some Asian Cup games, then Sasho Petrovski from Sydney could be in the squad as well.

If Allsopp keeps his current form, then he may be up for selection as well.
    Milicic is probably getting too old these days.

6. rockymtn_mike

rockymtn_mike New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Adams County, CO
    thanks for the info on the strikers......

7. tfoz

tfoz Member

Jun 3, 2005
    I might not go that far, but yeh the guy is too old and not good enough to take away a spot from a younger player with more potential.

We really have a lot of potential in front of goal coming through, with Vidosic, Burns, Djite, McDonald, Troisi, Holman, Griffiths and Williams. But we all know the conversion rate from promising young player to success isn't always great

8. M Lo

M Lo Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Sydney
    Sorry... I love Sydney, but Petrovski is second rate. No further comments needed.

9. what a goal!

what a goal! Red Card

Feb 23, 2006
    Mt Clear
    Harry kewell is another one.
    Tim Cahill
    Can't think of any more.

10. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    what does petrovski got to do with SFC. hes a mariner

11. SSbit

SSbit New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Sydney
    Mark Bridge is also a pretty good, up-coming striker.

12. Mia_

Mia_ New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Melbourne
    They are not stikers. They play in midfield.

13. glorydz

glorydz New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Perth
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Please savour the embarrassment, Archie Thompson will never make it at International level, let alone he can't even make it as PSV. Sure he's a good player for Melbourne but that is about all.

For promising strikers, David Williams, Nathan Burns, Bruce Djite are ones that come to mind.

14. collundo

collundo New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Our strikers in ranking at the moment are:

1. Viduka
    2. Aloisi
    3. Mcdonald
    4. Holman
    5. Kennedy
    6. Archie Thompson
    7. David Williams
    8. Alex Brosque
    9. Nathan Burns
    10. Bruce Djite

15. Red Diamond

Red Diamond Red Card

May 7, 2007
    Saitama

Ever heard of this chap called Daniel Allsopp? You know, the one that scored about 10 more goals more last season than your number 8 Alex Brosque..

16. socceroo_06

socceroo_06 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    I would have Troisi ahead of Brosque, Burns and Djite.

17. Red Diamond

Red Diamond Red Card

May 7, 2007
    Saitama
    I agree, but he's not primarily a striker is he? And we also probably shouldn't be putting young blokes on lists like this until they get a senior game.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Danny's old, he's reached the zenith of his career and won't be brought into the national team setup seriously at this stage - he may make a few A-League squads. Brosque has a much brighter national team future, is currently in the frame and his star's on the rise, so I'd put him higher on this ranking even though Allsopp is better recently on form.

19. Red Diamond

Red Diamond Red Card

May 7, 2007
    Saitama
    How olds Brosque? 23 or something? Allsopp isn't that much older.

And we aren't discussing who is a better prospect, we are discussing who is better at this point. And I wouldn't even say Brosques star is on the rise, there are other strikers well in front of him and I doubt if he'd ever be in the Socceroo best 11. No offense Sydney siders. He will always be a good A-League striker though.

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Allsopp's 28, 29. He's never been capped and I doubt he ever will be, unless its as part of an A-League team for a minor game and he happens to be the league's on-form striker. Brosque on the other hand is a good 5 years younger and has already been capped 4 times. Whether he plays a major part in the national team remains to be seen, but he'll always be around and in contention.

Are we talking best strikers? The thread starter was a foreigner asking about our 'strikers of note', with reference to the Socceroos. If that's what we're talking about, Allsopp's not really high on my list. He might be a better player, but to a foreigner he's pretty inconsequential - as much as I like him.

21. socceroo_06

socceroo_06 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Your havin a laugh, Brosque's star rising pfffttt.

Lets wind the clock back to that day in Kediri where he tumbled over thin air to get a penalty when he should have taken a shot.

There are better strikers in the A-league than Brosque. He has no future in the national team. Bridge, Djite and Burns are all better than him and ahead of him.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    :rolleyes: I'm not predicting as to how good he's going to be. My point is merely that he's 23 and has not yet reached his professional peak.

23. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well Burns, Djite are better than Brosque and they're still teenagers. I Would be VERY surprised if Brosque becomes the best striker in the A-league let alone Socceroos. mark bridge a year or two younger is even better thn Brosque.

24. Red Diamond

Red Diamond Red Card

May 7, 2007
    Saitama
    Yeah, I can't see Brosque ever becoming a best 11 player for the Socceroos. Whenever he has the ball he moves around with this gay as running style and he's too slow, and to top it off he's not a good finisher.

Sorry to all the Brosque lovers, but I just don't think he will be that good. He will be good at A-League level though... When he decides he's too good for the A-League and jets off to Europe, we won't see anything special from him.

25. raffa_the_gaffa

raffa_the_gaffa New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Scott Mcdonald
    Bruce Djite
    Petrovski is crap
    Brosque
    Mark Bridge one for the future