Atletico Madrid : Chelsea - ERIKSSON [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With only five games left in the competition, and each one occurring at a unique time, I figure there will be discussion for all of them and it's worth moving toward individual match threads. All posts on this game should go here, rather than the UEFA catch-all thread.

2. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Thought Eriksson could have managed the wall on Chelsea's added time free kick a little better. After he set them and blew the whistle, they crept forward 2 yards and blocked the free kick

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the ball was blasted right at the wall--at waist-level. I think you could almost see him think about it a moment as he paused in his run the other way. Yeah, they crept forward. But it had no effect on the free kick and that would be a very soft first yellow in a game that might need a few next half (and has already had a few incidents that he managed without yellows).

Couple corner kick decisions wrong. And a phantom foul (Atletico player kicked his teammate). I still think his foul selection is erratic compared to some of the other Elite refs. And he has a very authoritative personality compared to some of the other guys, too. But he's keeping a lid on things, like he usually does. It's obvious why UEFA trusts him for some of the bigger encounters.

4. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Thought it was a fairly nice half by Eriksson.

5. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I thought the same thing. "Huh, that looked like FRD. I wonder why he didn't call it. Oh look no one is appealing for it. I guess he thought it was trifling. Ok."

6. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Eriksson is a scary guy. If I got an AC from him I'd be shitting my pants.

During the mass confrontation I caught a look at his whistles, he is rocking an Acme Tornado 2000 and Molten Valkeen.

7. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Sorry, game was too boring, zoned out. Anything interesting on the Eriksson front?

8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Not really. He denied a 2CT to Lampard for handling, which led to a mass confrontation with two cards given out.

I did think David Luiz should have been sent off for causing two Chelsea injures :p

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It wasn't even handling.

colman1860 repped this.
  10. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Huh, I thought it was pretty clear.

11. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    He certainly let the players know that he was watching the watch for time wasting. I thought he might add another minute to each half than he did.

12. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yea it was handling but in a sort of way that gets let go quite often. Don't think it was of a caution worthy sort though.

13. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Thought that was a little over the top, actually. He was being very demonstrative about it, but it didn't seem to me that either team was wasting time, or claiming that their opposition were. I wonder if UEFA asked him/all semifinal referees to be strict on timewasting

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly was. The special one has extremely negative tactics when away from home. Horrible and boring game.