Atletico de Madrid 2009-2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Spain: Clubs' started by Danny47, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    [​IMG]

Clud Atletico de Madrid

Established: 1903

La Liga Titles: 9 (1939-40, 1940-41, 1949-50, 1950-51, 1965-66, 1969-70, 1972-73, 1976-77, 1995-96)

Copa del Rey Titles: 9 (1960, 1961, 1965, 1972, 1976, 1985, 1991, 1992, 1996)

Position in La Liga 2006/2007: 7th

2. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Re: Atletico de Madrid 2007-2008 Thread

Estadio Vicente Calderon

[​IMG]

El Nuevo Equipaje
    [​IMG]

3. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

Don't like that shade of blue...last year's was better.

4. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007

Its the same shade bro, the pic is just really really bright.Ill look for a better one.

Edit:

[​IMG]

5. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

Cool, that looks much better

6. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007

Marca are reporting that Atletico have made a new bid for Quaresma. This time, Atleti have offered the 25 million euros that Porto were asking for.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/atletico/es/desarrollo/1016593.html

They also reported on Friday that Villarreal and Atleti have already begun negotiacitons to bring Riquelme to the Calderon for the upcoming season.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/atletico/es/desarrollo/1016143.html

I can see one of these happening but I can't see both of these happeneing, finnancialy and logically. The midfield would have a lot of depth but players(star players) might start to complain about a lack of playing time. We would have Maxi, Petrov, Cleber, Luis Garcia, Raul Garcia, Maniche, Costinha and Jurado. Throw in both Riquelme and Quaresma and you have 10 players for 4 or 5 positons depending on what formaton we play.However a couple of those players have experience at the Forward position (Maxi, L. Garcia) so we could find other ways to accomodate them.

7. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

I don't want Jurado or Costinha. Sell them. Garcia is definitely a 2nd half player, a spark off the bench. Everyone else can battle it out for the starting spots. And we still have to figure out who we'll pair up with Aguero up front.

8. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

with Fernando Torres, out, I take it sergio Aguero will be the number 1 striker, considering he won the golden boot AND golden ball in the U-20 fifa championship

9. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

Its all over the Portuguese press that everything is finalized for the Simao transfer...its a done deal:mad:

10. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007

Im suprised by how much we payed for Simao. 20 million plus two players (most likely Costinha and Ze Castro). Man, I'm a little dissapointed that the Board didn't look into selling both Costinha and Ze Castro and using that income to finance Quarema's transfer. I'm sure they could have at least gotten 5 million for both of them,no? Also, it looks like Petrov is on his way out, so thats another transfer fee that could have been used to land Quaresma.

I don't know much about Simao so I can't really pass judgement on him, but I've heard good things. However, Quaresma has such a bright future and it would have been truly exciting to see him with Atleti next year.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/atletico/es/desarrollo/1020803.html

11. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

Same thing with Quaresma, De La Pena, and Jose Antonio Reyes. Don't believe it until it is officially announced. The media in Mexico had various players "sign" with multiple teams.

12. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

We still have a lot of money left over from the Torres transfer, unless we've already bought Riquelme.

13. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007
  14. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada

I can't believe Simao is worth 20 million plus two players like Costinha and Ze Castro (Costinha = 2-3 million euros, Ze Castro = 5-6 million euros). To my knowledge, I don't think there were other teams trying to get him, so this might be a case of bidding against yourself. The president of Benfica said not too long ago that 20 million euros would take him, so I'm surprised the bid was higher than that.

In Simao you're getting an upgrade in the last third of the field, he's fast, got great technical ability and is able to shoot from distance and good in set pieces. But I just don't think this is a good fit for some reason. I think he's a guy who can succeed where he's the star and has a supporting cast, but I don't think he can step up his level. He did fail when he was younger at Barça, so I have my doubts he's gotten over that failure now and is ready to succeed. I do wish him and the team the best, maybe this well get them into the Sevilla/Zaragoza/Villarreal echelon and have them fight for Champs League.

15. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

Liverpool was also bidding, as were a few other minnow teams.

16. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada

Pretty sure Benitez quit his attempts when he signed Babel/Benyouan. Plus you just haven't heard Liverpool links with Simao since the start of the transfer season.

17. DannyJ47

DannyJ47 Member

Aug 9, 2006
    California

So Marca is reporting that Jose Antonio Reyes is on his way to Atleti for 12 million euros. This came as a suprise to me,I know that Atleti were linked to him a few months back but it was srongly believed that he would stay at Real. He seems like a good addition. I haven't seen much of him but he has been impressive at times, especially at Arsenal.

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/atletico/es/desarrollo/1021661.html

Also,since it seems like Atleti are all done with their transfers, what line-up do you think Aguierre will use?

18. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Mexican_Texan

Mexican_Texan New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Houston, TX

Looks alright. But I love el Vicente Calderon.

20. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007

^^^Yeah I know what you mean. It will take some time to get used to. At the beginning of the video I was very dissapointed because I thought they were going to have the track there and I absolutley despise stadiums where the closest fans are miles away from the pitch, so I was glad to see that they plan on removing it and adding seats in its place. It seems like it could very possibly receive a 5-star rating from UEFA.

21. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I haven't been to Calderon, but have driven by it a few times, and it looked great.

I had the same thought about the video, but loved it when the track disappeared.

I know they have some roadwork to do, and they want to build this stadium for any Olympics bids, but tearing down a stadium -- to build a park! -- seems like too much to me.

22. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia

Current First Team:

Sergio Aguero
    Diego Forlan
    Luis Garcia
    Mista
    Maxi Rodriguez
    Simao Barbosa
    Jose Antonio Reyes
    Maniche
    Costinha
    Diego Costa
    Cleber Santana
    Raul Garcia
    Peter Luccin
    Miguel
    Jurado
    Valera
    Antonio Lopez
    Pablo Ibanaz
    Luis Perea
    Mariano Pernia
    Ze Castro
    Georgeis Seitaridis
    Leo Franco
    Christian Abbiati
    Ivan Cuellar

25 players overall. I expect 3 more to get cut before the beginning of the season or less.

My line up:

----------Forlan----Maxi Lopez-------
    Simao--------------------------Reyes
    -------------------------------------
    ----------Maniche---Luccin-----------
    --------------------------------------
    Lopez-----Pablo----Ze Castro----Perea
    ----------------Leo-------------------

If things don't work out, I would try Luis Garcia up front or Raul Garcia. In the middle part of the pitch, maybe Costinha if things don't get up to speed.

The only weakness I see in this team is the fullbacks although Lopez is good. Perea is a central back so I really would put him in the middle with either Ze Castro or Ibanez on the right.

This team I think will go very far this year. The ultimate goal should be a top three in La Liga.

23. Danny47

Danny47 New Member

Feb 8, 2007

You meant Maxi Rodriguez right? I like this line-up. I think the only downisde is that Aguero won't see as much starting time as last year and he's coming off a great performance in the U-20's. And I agree that a top three finish should be what the team is aiming for. They managed,albeit roughly, to reach the UEFA Cup this year, now its time to reach the Champions Leauge.

24. marakana11

marakana11 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Cali
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia

I think the reason I put Lopez instead of Rodriguez is because I've been following Sporting Club Lisbon a lot lately.

Yes I meant Maxi Rodriguez. I would primarily use Aguero against the smaller teams, when he is motivated, and can develop more and more.

25. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The new season looks promising and I'm "jumping out of my boots" excited to see the new signings in action.