Atlante in 2009 Club World Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico: Club Cups and Competitions' started by Nico Limmat, May 16, 2009.

1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    they should have put in pereyra a lot sooner, or started him even. seemed as though they had the ball more on barca's end the thirty minutes he played than the entire rest of the match

not a bad result... i don't expect a mexican team to do well in this tourney any time soon though. the inconsistency that teams show in the years and seasons inbetween the time they win the league until the time they win the concacaf and then the time it waited to participate in this tourney is way too long. no team in mexico really stays at a good level for that long.

2. Agapito X Fa

Agapito X Fa Member+

Apr 21, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sweet sky blue kits

hope for 3rd place

3. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think concacaf could help everybody out if they had the CCL in full over the late summer and fall with the winner heading like one month later to the CWC.

That way you can win Apertura, play in CCL and win, and then play in the CWC all in the same year...would be nice.

4. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    yeah that would definitely be ideal.

it makes very little sense to have it run from august until the next may, especially considering that (unless i'm mistaken) no teams in concacaf have a season which runs that long, or during that time period. if the libertadores, with more teams, can go from in half a year then i don't see why the shit CCL can't as well. expecting concacaf to do anything sensible would be asking too much, though.

ffs they won the apetura 2007 tourney, and it is now almost 2010. whats the point

5. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i dont think Pereyra was as effective, it was mainly because barca pull its foot off the pedal after they took the lead letting atlante have the ball.

6. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I thought Barca was going to lay 5 on Atlante after the third gol. Good thing they didn't completely break. Atlante won the championship two years ago, and hasn't been very competitive since that title. I would like to see a team go into that tournament on top of their game. Imagine Monterrey with Suazo going into that tournament playing the way they did during the final stretch of the tournament? They would probably also lose to Barcelona, but are better built for that tournament.

7. Giodude

Giodude Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    Club Atlante
    well it wasnt that bad considering that our whole team probably costs a fraction of Barcelona or maybe as much as one good player not great

to all those guys who made fun of us well until they win the CCL and gone against a big european team like Barca and got their butts whooped then we well take the criticism besides we earned our ticket like it or not

3rd place here we come

8. SoyOllin

SoyOllin Member+

Aug 14, 2006
    D TOWN
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like what I saw from Atlante out there today, they had their chances but just finished one. If they would've finished more of their clear ones, we could be seeing something different one. Also the person that was going against Dani Alves was just BURNING him all day, Dani hasn't seen a Mexican move that fast since they were giving away free visas a couple years ago.

Hopefully some scouts were seeing the flashes of brillance that were shown today.

9. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I feel bad for Hobbit. I thought he would use this opportunity to really shine. He didn't, and it's probably curtains for any chance he had for the world cup.

10. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    it's almost the same in Europe, from the season you qualify to the season you win the European Cup to then play in the Club World Cup is almost the same as in concacaf, Both Atlante and Barcelona won their confederations at around the same time, Barcelona earned their spot for the edition of the Champions League they won about 18 months ago while Atlante did it 24 months ago, not much of a difference, the only difference is that the Big European clubs are consistently at the top while Mexican clubs go up and down.

11. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    not to beat a dead horse, but that is one of the many advantages of playing in a long season, as well as for fans which actually have expectations. they are able to maintain that consistency because they build their teams to be good for several seasons while playing in several top competitions. the top teams all have depth. mexico prepares their teams like atlante to play good for a 6 game run during a six month period so that they can qualify for the liguilla and see if luck goes their way. win the trohpy and not do anything for a few seasons because that one liguilla trophy seems to keep fans happy

12. Agapito X Fa

Agapito X Fa Member+

Apr 21, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I didn't see the penalties were they horrible?

they wasted too many opportunities in the second half.

at least they can give Atlante Fair Play award?