Atlanta Roster Strategy and DPs

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by reedinthewind, Apr 17, 2014.

1. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Just thinking that Dos Santos might look good in Atl, and draw significantly. Also there was a lot of talk about Freddy Adu going to the 'backs... can you imagine those two on a roster together? Especially if you could get Adu for....less than DP salary. With plenty of first and second generation Africans in Atl, a few rising stars from the African leagues might be a good way to flesh out a roster.

FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  2. ATL_Bayern_Fan

Apr 29, 2013
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you are signing Freddy Adu for anything more than league minimum, you are not doing this right.

Macsen and danielofthedale repped this.
  3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the main thing we could do now is go ahead and develop our academy system. Moreover, I would attempt to affiliate with the Silverbacks similar or go ahead and create a Atlanta MLS II side in the USL pro. We could go ahead and get our foundation laid out.

As far as DPs, obviously I want Messi, Ronaldo, and Bale. But who knows? I definitely want us to be able to play attacking soccer... So I wouldn't have a problem where we have two forward DPs and an attacking mid DP.

4. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with the MLS Atlanta 2 idea. Begin developing a brand and a foundation players.

5. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would want a DP striker, DP attacking mid, DP box-to-box or holding mid. I also think one DP should be a mid 20 year old player from the Colombian or Argentine first division. MLS has great success with players from those leagues and they tend to have the DP value.

6. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would LOVE Zlatan, just done know how much I would love 35 year old Zlatan. But if he still wants to play and would take MLS seriously then why the heck not!

8. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    The youth academies are going to be key. Hopefully the team will be able to tap into great potential of Georgia's athletes. Let's face it, no matter what the sport ( football, baseball, basketball, yes even soccer) Georgia produces some great athletes. If the new team is a winner from the start and kids can see that they can make a career as a professional soccer player that will bode well for the future.

9. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is very true but the fruit of that will not bloom for years.

10. ATL_Bayern_Fan

Apr 29, 2013
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  11. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    After seeing Dikembe Mutombo at the event, I so want him as a goalkeeper. He's only 47 and has experience swatting round balls -- and other objects.

12. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
  13. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As cool as this would be he renewed with Everton through 2018

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems the best goalkeepers are in their 40s. See: Pat Onstad and Kasey Keller.

Well he certainly has the money for it. The question is, will he get the people that will make the smart decisions?

15. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Form affiliations with:

Atlanta Silverbacks
    Wilmington Hammerheads
    Charleston Battery
    Carolina Railhawks
    Charlotte Eagles
    Carolina dynamo
    Palmetto Bantams
    Mississippi Brilla
    Georgia Revolution
    Chattanooga FC
    Gate City FC
    Carolina Discoveries
    Myrtle Beach Mutiny
    Upward Stars
    Knoxville Force
    Nashville FC
    Rocket City United
    New Orleans Jesters
    Pensacola City FC
    Concorde Fire

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Ibra doing well in MLS. He strikes me as the type of person that would treat MLS like a retirement league.

17. tourist

tourist New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Stone Mountain, GA
    If we are going off the wall speculation for future DP's I would love to sign Paul Pogba. He would be 24 and still in his prime.

18. danielofthedale

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can only affiliate officially with one team. And I saw an article about how a few of the big youth clubs in LA don't care much for the Galaxy because they get the best players most of the time and the clubs don't like that.

19. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can only have 1 affiliate and some of those teams are already taken

20. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's Mexican, he's a good striker, and he'd only be 28 in 2017. If I was the team, and the price was right, I'd seriously look at Chicharito.

I am curious how the team will approach their DPs. Will they focus on going for a certain nationality (like getting a top Mexican, getting a top American), or will they just focus on getting the three best players they can, regardless of where they come from.

21. divdev12

divdev12 Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the latter. I'd love to have a Mexican National team player along with a couple of USMNTers, but you gotta take the best players.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning games will put more butts in the seats than a name.

danielofthedale repped this.
  23. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    ... Unless it's a David Beckham. That's a unique circumstance, but in three years who knows. He had such a Tiger Woods/Michael Jordan aura that it's hard to think of anyone else similar.

But otherwise, a crappy team with one star won't draw people for long.

24. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to project that far into the future but the franchise should get a DP that the Latin community, as well as Atlanta as a whole, can get excited about. Whether it's from Liga MX or La Liga or other UEFA leagues, I think engaging that community needs to be a cornerstone of their marketing strategy. An aging Puyol or Iniesta or Ramos would be fantastic.

25. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On second thought, I wonder if it would even be in the team's best interest to sign a DP in the first couple of seasons. The way the league is set up, a majority of the players on the team the first year are going to be fringe players at best. It's going to take a few years to build up the depth necessary to become competitive. If you know your chances of winning are going to be slim regardless, would it be worth it to spend the money to bring in a DP? Or wait until the team around the DP is good enough to make the expense worthwhile?