Atlanta-Orlando-Miami Rivalry

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All I can think of now is "Two teams, one cup." Dear God I hope a pair of scantily clad ladies don't deliver the thing full.

2. O Citeh

O Citeh New Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    The rivalries will depend on how the Atl and Miami fans react, the Orlando City fans will come out with swagger and sense of better than these two other teams and cities.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grossest thing I've ever seen in my life.

Barf

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Barney ;)

5. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MARTA doesn't run to Turner Field either so it isn't much of a net loss there.

I don't really count moving 10 miles as "away" personally either.

6. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this idea. Soccer is all about a disunited unity (we're all soccer fans, we're just better fans with the right team.), Jenkins Ear is about united history of the region between disunited teams.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for the Jenkins Ear Cup.

It would definitely be the most unique sounding tournament that I know of in American sports, and represents a war between Georgia/Florida.

Any idea on what the trophy should look like? A giant ear might be kind of gross.

8. dangit77

dangit77 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    What about the fact that the Jenkins Ear idea regards a battle that had little to do with Georgia and Florida? I mean to say, it wasn't a battle between Florida and Georgia---it was a battle in Florida and Georgia, since the actual conflict was between England and Spain. And it happened more than a century before the Civil War, which itself wouldn't be pertinent because both Georgia and Florida were in the Confederacy, albeit at different degrees (Florida being still mostly a wilderness in the mid-19th century). The connotation of Florida, especially South and lots of Central, being the so-called "6th Borough" (ie: New York City) is itself only a product of the post-WWII ear.

10. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    *Era.

(Darnit.)

11. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I hope one day they add teams in Charlotte and / or Raleigh, so the South can have more natural rivalries.

Resurgens and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love a nashville team or a charlotte one, they're both the same distance.

13. Resurgens

Resurgens Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Athens, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still about a symbol of history for the two regions, not because it fits 100%. Paul Bunyan wasn't real, but Wisconsin-Minnesota play for Paul Bunyan's Axe in football.

14. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think Nashville should get a team too.

15. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    That's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but nevermind, I understand the point now. And for Florida, it is certainly interesting as an event from the 18th century. Aside from some business around Saint Augustine and whatnot, the only things presently in the entire state of Florida that were also here in the 1700's are pretty much the sand, the palm trees, and the mosquitoes.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Methinks that if we have to think this hard to force the idea, then it's a sign we're trying to hard and it's not meant to be.