Atlanta-Orlando-Miami Rivalry

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a two sport town when you look at the traditional 4 major sports perhaps. If you looks at how well the 'Backs have drawn it suggests that perhaps it isn't the fans but the sports that have been bad. Hockey has issues down here as I already mentioned. I don't know what basketballs problem is, but I don't care for that sport.

lol, you made it seem like the Don was throwing love out to Minn all over the place. I absolutely am too lazy to go find some obscure Minn website talking about expansion dreams that then links to that one time Don mentioned Minn United. I'd be glad for Minn to be the 24, but I no longer feel like I overlooked anything. Thanks

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is near the bottom for basketball, but they do well for baseball and football. Not that baseball will matter much longer, since they're moving away anyway.

Are the Braves really that stupid to move to Cumberland? I know what Atlanta's auto traffic is like, and MARTA doesn't run to the corners of the area, only NS and EW.

3. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    [
    I get being lazy but he did after all give you the link. Ha.

The 6 months Garber has given his props to Minnesota United football club. I believe eventually the Twin Cities MLS franchise will be either 24 for sure it will be either 25-26.

4. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Barons are ok. But they ain't no Biscuits.

CAllen91 repped this.
  5. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Biscuits are ok, their park is great. Bham's new one is too though.

CAllen91 repped this.
  6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you didn't watch his latest expansion interview (things I do for you slackers):
    http://www.mls4mn.com/mls-commissioner-don-garber-gives-update-leagues-expansion-plans/

That is Don fawning.

7. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh you love it! You are correct I had not watched the latest one by the Don, that is pretty good stuff. I hope if Minn does get the go ahead that they stick with the NASL team as a "promotion" because I like what they have done there (I don't care so much for the 'Backs brand, I think it is a crappy name).

8. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Kudos! I like the logo, kind of like the name, love the color scheme. I hope the get promoted!

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Minnesota rebranding was great, hopefully they keep the logo pretty much the same if they join MLS.
    On another note, I'm glad to see someone in the Atlanta area acknowledge that the Silverbacks have a crappy name, usually people get defensive about it...

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From their vantage point it's not that stupid. They're essentially getting a brand new stadium for the price of what they'd have had to invest in the Ted the next few years, anyway, plus they now have control of parking and other activities on the site. And since their fan base didn't use MARTA before there's no great loss in that regard.

If I'm an avg. Braves fan, most of whom populated Atlanta's northern burbs, I'm partially thrilled.
    If I'm a Cobb Co. taxpayer I'm furious because traffic will only be worse in that area and the county has far greater needs.
    If I'm an advocate for Atlanta in general I'm sad to see local communities competing against each other at the expense of metro revenues, because it's not like the Braves would've left the area.

If this eventually forces rail service into the area I'll stop all my whining.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BayBears FTW!

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he's referring to (borrowed from its home thread):

[​IMG]

I have never seen a more epic burn in my entire life.

14. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    Proud to be ignored, thanks.

Maybe the new Atlanta/MLS and alleged Miami/MLS organizations could form their own distinct rivalry and attach the label "The Bought, Not Built Cup." If Miami gets in, that is. Maybe the actual trophy could have the price tag still on, dangling from one of the handles, and the receipt taped across the base in case on of the two sides in the rivalry ever needed to return it for Walmart credit.

But congrats to the Atlanta soccer community on entry to the league. Mr. Blank seemed to tear up a few times during the presser, so if he's an authentic guy who wants to make soccer in Atlanta succeed, MLS and soccer in the US in general will be better for the presence of your city and your club's Supporters culture---if not also for the benefit to media buying departments in advertising agencies all over the country... the ones for whom TV market statistics are anything more than esoteric hokum.

Feel free to leave OCSC out of the rest of this. Orlando is neither Southern nor part of "The South." People grow up here referring to The South as some nebulous blob up north, since even the Georgia state line is 200+ miles north of here. So in all sincerity, welcome to MLS, but for the foreseeable future OC will be content to look for Atlanta/MLS in our rearview mirror.

Whenever youse people want to get your MLS fix on over the next few seasons, feel free to mosey down I-75 starting next March and take in an OC match.

At the moment, Miami isn't even an official MLS expansion site yet, so there's no point in even commenting on that topic.

And again, from the now second-newest member of the fraternity to the newest, welcome to MLS.

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Revenge Cup! Can't wait to destroy the bumble bees in their own home.

17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you did there.

WorldGame repped this.
  18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You know as well as everyone that many southern cities are anachornisms for what the world perceives as the south. Cities and urban culture are viewed as unique outliers to the rural south and Appalachia. Orlando is its own special creature given the tourism role. Thus it's tough to build any sense of rivalry out of all this, and I'd hate to try to make anything that comes across as fake just so we can all say we have a rivalry.

At least with Miami there is competition between the cities as regional economic centers, but the geographic differences make those comparisons less than balanced.

I'm all for simply hating everyone equally! ;)

19. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Similarly, this is why in the "Houston-Orlando Rivalry" thread (to which I'm the only responder) I commented that such a rivalry would be the "Southern States that Other Southern States Don't Think Are Southern States" Derby. Maybe Atlanta-Houston (or Atlanta-DCU) can compete in the "Dixie Cup." Rivalries are great, but I'm not sure they can be inflicted on fans from above (like, at least to an outsider, what the Trillium Cup looks like, no offense to Crew and TFC supporters).

20. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    There's a difference between "rural" and the capital-S South. Atlanta seems like the very epicenter of all things properly "Southern" and in every way of "The South." When (not if) you all capture a bit of that in how you animate your Supporters Group culture, you'll be adding some really good things to MLS and soccer in the US in general.

But I agree, there is little on which to conjure up any sort of rivalry, real or otherwise, which is what I had in mind when I was saying in essence, nifty, thanks, leave us out of it. From what I've seen in our three+ years in USLPro, we basically just want to take three points from whatever entity is on the other side of the field no matter who they are or where they come from. Very, very (very!) thankfully, we have ownership and a manager who have that mindset pretty much running through their veins and it has vastly overflowed into the OC Supporters community.

For that reason, I just look forward to what will be the actual nuts and bolts of any rivalry Atlanta, Miami, and Orlando ever have, and that's solid, competitive teams fighting for three points on another sunny afternoon.*

I will say this, though: if it turns out that Atlanta/MLS does end up choosing any kind of "firebird"/phoenix/etc. trope, it will be very hard not to pull for you guys whenever I'm watching a non-OC MLS event. If I ever see Atlanta/MLS merch with that screaming chicken from the "Smokey and the Bandit" car, my inner seven-year-old will probably buy it as a matter of instinct.

:laugh:

21. Jonesta

Jonesta Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Auburn, Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your delivery really sucked.

The rivalries will grow with time and what happens on and off the field. Who knows where it will lead. Columbus is clearly out front with trying to be a hated foe with their twitter jab (well done, I already explained why Sherman shouldn't be a slight to the new ATL but the "burn" was really well done so I'll gladly try to hate you guys if you can keep it up).

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, if you can't stand the heat...

23. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    You lost me.

24. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Eastern Cup has a nice ring to it. geography is the only thing these cities have in common. Atlanta is more dixie i suppose. Orlando is very mixed and Miami is basically another country that happens to be located in the USA.

25. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I will now refer to the Crew as the War Criminals. I am sure that they won't care.