Atlanta MLS stadium configuration will have 31,000 seats

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by vevo5, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Oster

Oster Member

Mar 13, 2007
    SC, USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In retrospect it doesn't really matter how poorly ASG and Don Waddell managed that team (and I will give you that they were probably the worst in the NHL at the time), in the end fans didn't show up and that was the main reason why the second team Atlanta has had is in Winnipeg right now - not so much the ownership. There were plenty of teams with horrible ownership that were still being supported by their fans - granted they were in more traditional markets - but the bottom line is if people really wanted to keep the team in Atlanta they needed to show up and the didn't. They averaged their 2nd lowest attendance the year they were moved - and that was far from the worst team they ever iced - which leads me to believe people largely just didn't care. Interest in the game wasn't a problem from what I recall most of the ice time at those rinks were pretty well booked and the Gladiators seemed to have a strong following.

Believe me I really hope I'm wrong because the prospect of a one hour drive versus a nine hour drive to see DCU play live is great - but I really don't see anything to suggest this team will be successful in the long run.

2. 2011 Fireman

2011 Fireman Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Clearwater
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A
    And the Yankees didn't sellout playoff games in the 2000's....

But, then again, New York is a terrible sports town so you are probably right.

Killakakam repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irony, they name is sounderfan.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why a DCU fan would bitch about 12,000 fans. Seriously, dude.

5. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    No Football lines on the soccer field at any point. From Uncle Arthur at the MLS Announcement.

6. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You have no credibility because Sounders fan"

-Derp

Macsen and ATLNewsDog01 repped this.
  7. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    With the description he was giving, I almost don't expect anybody to know the Falcons play there during soccer season. It was sounding like so much of the signage is going to be digital boards, so it could be changed with a computer. With the similar red, black and gold colors, I'm interested to see if I'm right about how far he's going to go to make this look like a shiny penny.

I think about the time he said "no football lines" he could've taken Kasim Reed's job from the group assembled. I remember that visual barf on so many fields back in the old days.

8. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they won't average 6k

the timing is godawful to say this, but Garber just jumped the shark.

9. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i will be shocked if over 800 people sign up for season tickets. this is literally the stupidest thing MLS has ever done.

are they bringing in charlie stillitano to consult?

10. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 years before this team folds or moves. NASL vision on this one folks. This is depressing.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're up[ to 1400 deposits tonight already.

And in MLS history they've had the shootout, the Clash scorpion logo, and the unilateral moving of El Pibe between Miami and Tampa Bay just to name a couple of things. This can't even see the stupidest thing MLS has ever done from where its sits.

fuzzx, sitruc, CAllen91 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naming Chicago the Rhythm would've been smarter than this move.

13. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't forget the Counting down the clock backwards thing with a buzzer at the end.

JasonMa repped this.
  15. ATLNewsDog01

ATLNewsDog01 Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Winder, GA
    My order was #1352. That's orders, not tickets. It hasn't been 24 hours yet.

Bisquick_in_da_MGM repped this.
  16. Oster

Oster Member

Mar 13, 2007
    SC, USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, no argument there. :)

17. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Everybody point and laugh at Joe.

18. CAllen91

CAllen91 Member

Atlanta United
    Oct 23, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

19. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    The statement was ironic because the Sounder's football stadium seating is even less ideal than what the Atlanta stadium seems to offer. It had nothing to do with Sounders fan credibility. Hope that helps.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. KC1996

KC1996 Member

May 11, 2013
    Atlanta will do okay in their first year and the fizzle out in it's second year. They'll compete with Chivas for worst attendance.

Mikebsiu repped this.
  21. joe

joe Member+

Jul 12, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they still won't average 6k in attendance

they should merge with chivas usa and become America's first uber-crappy-lame anti-mega club

22. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting take. I assume you have seen plenty of Sounders games at the Clink?

23. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're going to be very disappointed in 3 years time, lol

24. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we are at the point where even struggling sides with issues can manage 10K and by 2017 I can only see that baseline improving. While I understand the concerns about Atlanta, the situation as it is now seems like a best case scenario for that city. The owner seems invested and wants to work with the fan base and they have a good stadium location and commitment to not treat MLS like a second class citizen. I could see them averaging 16K in 2017 barring a blunder by ownership in the run up.

25. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And because the APSL/A-League/whatever Sounders attendance was low enough that I probably went to more lower-division Sounders home games (one game in 1995 at Memorial Stadium) than most of the Real Soccer Fans(tm) that attend Sounders games now.