Atlanta 2013

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by brentgoulet, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Good thing the crest was redesigned. I think it is nafty-looking, a complete opposite of the gorilla (are there gorillas in Atlanta?)

Question: are there any buses that goes by the stadium?

2. The Earl of Lemongrab

May 23, 2012
    Johns Creek, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the bus schedule. But I would guess there are.

As to the gorillas, the origin of the name comes from a popular silverback that lived at Zoo Atlanta. The late Willie B was the inspiration for the name.

I see that we filled out the roster with 5 more players. I don't guess any are players to be overly excited about. But who knows.

3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cause, you know, no other cities have gorillas in their zoos. That's something that's actually completely unique to Atlanta. We're well known around the world as that city with gorillas in our zoo.

The Earl of Lemongrab repped this.
  4. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contact the office (see link below for sales staff emails and office phone). They are very helpful and should know.

http://www.atlantasilverbacks.com/pro/Contact.htm

5. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Route 124 comes closest I think. the closest is the corner of Northcrest and Oakhill, just across I-85. It connects to the Doraville subway station. I've heard that some people do take it to games. Route 126 stops at the Embry Hills Shopping center at the other end of Northcrest. That connects at the Chamblee station.

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't make it to the scrimmage last Saturday, and can't find the score anywhere online. Anyone know what it was?

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game and a very good crowd. I don't quite buy the announced 5,402 but there was at least 4,500-5,000 there. The Ultras did their part as well:

[​IMG]

brentgoulet repped this.
  9. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Unfortunately we're getting a reputation for padding attendance (I know a lot of clubs do it, but we're standing out on this issue).

GREAT game, though. Would be nice if we could hit the back of the net a little earlier.

brentgoulet repped this.
  10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya. That tends to happen when you pad the attendance though don't ya think?

11. Atlanta-manunited

Sep 29, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had that reputation but the stadium was full Saturday night. Great atmosphere. Here is a video about the Ultras.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. fliffy lefoffelif

fliffy lefoffelif New Member

May 10, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Going to my first Silverbacks game this Sat. (vs. the Railhawks). I'm looking forward to it. I've heard good things about the atmosphere.

TerminusFooty repped this.
  15. poprox

poprox Member

Oct 10, 2012
    Club:
    Coritiba FBC
    Got to be better than this dump , this is a sad sad place.

16. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. fliffy lefoffelif

fliffy lefoffelif New Member

May 10, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    They looked pretty good on Saturday, beating the Railhawks 2-0. I was impressed with Barerra--he's all over the place making plays.

18. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you picked a good first game. That was awesome.

19. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    The Silverbacks are at the top of the tables, with only 5 games left in the spring season, and still anyone could win the Spring Championship. We play every team except San Antonio once more. It looks like it's going to be a roller-coaster finish.

20. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm diggin it.

21. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Really looking forward to this week's game vs. Edmonton, especially with a chance for some revenge and extending the lead at the top.

I'll be making the trip up from Auburn for my third straight home game after having never gone to a Silverbacks game before. I'm hooked. ;)

22. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to the jungle. It's addictive, isn't it?

23. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Damn right.

It's really funny, given my proximity to Atlanta, that I had not been to a game before the Carolina game, but for some reason fate would always conspire against me whenever I had thoughts of going to a game, whether due to a lack of time, money, or the Silverbacks being on the road whenever I was making a day of it at the Brewhouse.

Sure, it's been great to see such huge results as those against Carolina and San Antonio in person, but what has really taken me by storm is the vibe that surrounds the games. You know, I've been to my share of US and Blackburn games over the years, but seeing 4,000-5,000 fans pack into a stadium tucked away in the woods and seemingly will their team on to victory is just as remarkable.

It goes without saying that the bright lights of MLS and the blinding lights of the big leagues around the world garner the bulk of the attention amongst American soccer fans, but recent nights like I've had off of exit 96 truly show the spirit of the game. I plan on having many more of these nights...and it doesn't hurt that Silverbacks games give some pretty good bang for the buck. :D

24. drummer

drummer Member

Nov 29, 1999
    Atlanta
    I had decided I was getting too old to continue to drum every home game. But, this season has inspired me to go for it as often as possible. I'll be at my usual spot in 109 if anyone cares to join in.