Athletica vs. Gold Pride-July 26th P/I/P

Discussion in 'Saint Louis Athletica' started by Cville K C, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that is correct! Thanks!

So it appears that Boston could clinch a playoff spot for two teams (themselves and Saint Louis) if they win on Wednesday.

Like I said, they could have made it lot easier on themselves (and on me figuring it out) if they just finished it off.

Note to self...figure out tomorrow just how badly we've been outscored in the 75+ minute of games. It isn't pretty, that's for sure.

2. bigpinkfoot

bigpinkfoot Member

Apr 5, 2009
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little aggravating, but with as many times as GP beat the Athletica defense, they deserved at least a tie.

Our girl Melissa shows up in a lot of positions, but if I see her at center back again, it will be too soon.

Anyone notice a real lack of form from Cinalli the last few weeks? I expect 3/4 of Wozzy's touches to be garbage, but not Amanda's.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on the first point, but there were several times late in the game when our forwards had them one on one and didn't even get shots. That was frustrating to me.

Not much of choice on Tancredi. Larsson got beat a lot. McNeill got hurt. Cross could have been switched back, but she had already subbed out for Walsh. The only other option was to move Fletcher to center back and bring Stoia in when McNeill got hurt. Tanc has a bad quad and a bad back and is still not 100%.

Not one of Amanda's better games although she almost scored on a header. Her shoulder is still bad and has been iced after every game. She took a lot of hard knocks tonight, too. To me, Cinalli seems to try, for lack of better terminology, too many college tricks. She loves to let the ball go by her and then switch directions, but the defenders in this league are usually waiting for that. She also will get a little too cute on the dribble in traffic. But she's still pretty good, but not completely healthy. And she is our 2nd leading scorer and yes, I know it's only two, but that's in half a season.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Goals by 15min: (STL-oppt)
    1-15: 4-0
    16-30: 3-1
    31-45: 3-1
    total: 10-2

46-60: 1-3
    61-75: 2-1
    76-90: 2-8
    total: 5-12

yeah, over half of our goals against have been in the last 15 minutes of play. If you don't count games against WSH, it isn't nearly so bad, but still.... =-(

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty glaring. Look at a team like Washington. They beat Gold Pride early in the year in the 90th minute, 4-3. They tied us at about the same time 3-3 in 90th. They tied Sky Blue two weeks ago well into stoppage and they just beat Chicago in 89th minute. That's 2 wins and 2 ties that easily could have been 2 ties and 2 losses, a total of 6 points that they've gained because they've been able to score in the 89th minute or later. And you're right, they've scored 4 of the 5 goals against us pretty late in the game.

6. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good energized game and the place looked packed. I was surprised how well Chastain played and how she sticks out among other players. She has to be around 6 feet tall and still has some moves. She could be in the league for a while as long as she keeps up her conditioning. She almost had an assist when she was right up close to Solo on net.

After the game it looked like Osborne was consoling Chalupny as she put her arm around Chalups after the game. Chalupny looked kind of upset. You would think it would've been the other way around since FCGP are OUT of the playoffs now! Anyone know what that was all about??

7. bigpinkfoot

bigpinkfoot Member

Apr 5, 2009
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing its the recent loss of Lori's Grandfather.

8. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know for sure, but Osborne could have been consoling Chalupny for a number of reasons. I don't know if Leslie had a chance to talk to Lori before she left the national team when her grandfather died. That could have been it. Or it could have been how close Saint Louis came to making the playoffs. Lori was fully aware that a win meant they clinched a playoff spot and even mentioned it in interviews after the game. There's a chance that could have been it, too. I'm guessing probably the first reason is more likely. Or it could have been that Leslie tackled Lori hard during the game. Osborne can be a pretty hard tackler.;)

The crowd was listed at just over 4200. I actually thought there was a few more than that. I was thinking more like 4500-4600.

9. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would make sense it's because Lori lost her GP. It doesn't make sense at all about the playoffs because Lori would've been consoling Osborne as FCGP was officially knocked out after this game while StL is in 99% for sure.

I would think Osborne would be pissed that she's no longer on the USMNT and they've been saying how she's trying to get back on the team.

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Leslie's pissed about not being on the USMNT, because she's on the USWNT.:p She was called up for the two recent games against Canada and actually played in the last game. So she is still on the team.

As far as Gold Pride and the playoffs, I would think that realistically, they've been eliminated for about the last two or three weeks and I'm sure the players knew that, even if they weren't saying that. It just became 100% certainty over the weekend.

11. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Hildreth was saying a month or so ago that Osborne is no longer on the USWNT and is trying to get back on so blame her.:p

Watching the U.S. play Canada over and over and over gets boring so I didn't see much of those after the 1st game. They should have a friendly against England or Germany to make it more interesting. Or even North Korea since they have a very good women's team. Why not visit Pyongyang for a friendly?:)

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, first word of advice...don't listen to anything Jen has to say. I think that Jen thinks that Abby Wambach is the only player on the USWNT.