At last: The welcome Luka Modric Thread.

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by 4x4s, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Luka Modric is a RM player, what do you think?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2012.
  1. Just what we needed!!!

58.1%
  2. He'll be ok, but i don't think he'll be a massive improvement to our squad.

37.1%
  3. He's not good enough, i am dissapointed.

4.8%
  1. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    But like i said in my other post, i don't think he'll be competing for a DM spot with these guys either. But he's generally a much better player than they (Lass, Khedira,Granero,Gago, and others) are imo

2. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Don't worry after Modric passes the Set Piece Defending Test and he's got a bit more match fitness under his belt he and Khedira will battle head-to-head to determine who is best to perform the role of imitating a broken street lamp in the middle of an end-to-end football game. May the best mouth-breather win!

3. johnbarley

johnbarley Member

Aug 15, 2012
    LOL, did you see the CL tie against Tottenham? Modric is not on any of their levels.

4. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Yes, because Real Madrid faced Modric FC not Tottenham.

nicafornica repped this.
  5. Jagbir

Jagbir Member+

Apr 14, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Agreed, word for word.

6. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    And which specific role might that be? To help break down a defense of 11 players behind the ball in order to not having to field another striker in order to maintain some balance in order not to concede a goal on the break?

El-CapitanoR7 repped this.
  7. genvej

genvej Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I totally agree that the transfer makes no sense. But if you think he is comming in to fight for the DM spot (which Mou always has!) you are so wrong. Wager is on... Winner gets to pick the loosers avatar for a month :thumbsup:

8. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seriously .. ban him now. Why even wait ?:cautious:

Eddie repped this.
  9. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I bet it was kind of hard for him to play to his strengths when his team never had the ball.

10. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Based on our total, averaged European performances since 2005, half of our players wouldn't belong here, how shitty some of them have played in the CL.

halamadrid00 and Eddie repped this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I mean, did you see that Ronaldo guy miss the penalty vs Bayern? I don't know why he's still around!

12. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    hi guys...

reading up a bit here to see what people think about modric since this whole saga started..

although a croat, i will be completely objective to this matter:

modric is a great talent, but real madrid ocasionally eats it's own talents so who knows how this will end up...there's also the fact that mourinho is a bit special :-D ...so we stil have to see how he will use modric and the queestion is will he do his part of the yob in taking the best out of the player..

his prefered position is deep lying midfielder, he is the same type of palyer as Xavi..
    peopel constantly compare him to Ozil (or comment that Silve would be a better buy), but last time Modric played so high up front was in Dinamo Zagreb, some 5 - 6 years ago...
    he did well and his assists and goals stats were high, but mind you, it was 5 years ago...

only time will tell, but for those who think that there's no tallent here, well all I have to say is:

you know what they say...when the going gets tough, the tough get going..

Chinky24 repped this.
  13. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't think any regular has said he doesn't have talent. In fact most if not all at the least recognize he is talented and a good player, but just don't think he is a world beater.

We hope he proves us wrong about being a world beater.

14. surgeon

surgeon Member+

Aug 28, 2012
    there are only few of those around and non of them is for sale...
    but i see your point and you're right, he never was a world beater in tottenham....although their game evolved around him he allways tried to serve the team and never took charge...for once i wanted him to play like team shoud serve him....just for a few minutes, when things were not going well..i feel that he lacks that cuntish rough attitude at times..
    if someone could take him higher that's mourinho...

one way or an other this season will be fun to watch...

15. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't think he's here to "displace" anyone per se. We're likely going to see a lot of him, but just not in one specific role. In certain situations, you'll see him beside Xabi. Mourinho has tried to play Ozil in that role in games where we are pushing for goals, but he just hasn't worked out there. You'll see a lot of him in Xabi's and Mesut's place to give them a rest or when they're not playing up to par.

I could be wrong, but I'd venture you'd see a lot more of him in place of Xabi/Mesut/Di Maria (Modric would play the central role, Ozil would move out wide) then you'd see him in place of Khedira/Lass.

16. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I don't disagree that we may see this, but I would prefer to see him in a defined role that he plays regularly. I understand he is talented... I understand he may have played different positions before... but I don't want him here to give this player or that player a rest. I think we have a very clear need in managing the game through the midfield. I hope that is what he is here to address.

Like I said, you may be right - so I am not disagreeing with you. I'm just not sure that is how I would use him.

17. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    That's fair enough. At this point in time, it's all speculation. I'd like to hear what Mourinho has in mind for him. As much as we'd like our players to have a defined role, Mourinho loves (and I mean LOVES) the ability to have players who are flexible to play in multiple positions because those players work to his ultimate strength, which is in-game team management. And that's probably why he insisted on Modric, aside, of course, from the fact that he's such a talented player.

18. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Amen doodie-head! Now I'm not sure Modric ultimately is the guy that's going to do that but I hope he's given ample opportunity to prove he is/isn't and at that price I hope he will.

We can get Muniain or Isco as cover for Oezil/Di Maria :D And we alrady have Jese and Morata as well.

19. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    True dat. I just think critical positions shouldn't be toyed with too much. It feels like Mou hasn't found a midfield partnership he is satisfied with. Our play through the midfield is inconsistent at best. I agree that it will be interesting to watch how he uses him.

His transfer came through so Modric can technically play tomorrow. I wonder if we'll see him at all before the FIFA break.

20. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I expect him to be called up to the Granada game, and probably play a few minutes if we're holding a good lead.

21. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Mourinho has no doubt pushed for the Modric transfer. You don't think Florentino would look at him sideways if Modric isn't immediately used?

Modric will be a sub for the barcelona match.

22. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think he'll be called up. I'm not sure he'll be used, but it sure adds another story line to the game.

23. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't see how he won't be. Mourinho the big big man that he is knows he answers to a bigger man in Florentino. Only way I don't see Modric being used is if we cruise to a humiliating victory.

24. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When is Mourinho's PC today?

25. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid