At last: The welcome Luka Modric Thread.

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by 4x4s, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Luka Modric is a RM player, what do you think?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2012.
  1. Just what we needed!!!

58.1%
  2. He'll be ok, but i don't think he'll be a massive improvement to our squad.

37.1%
  3. He's not good enough, i am dissapointed.

4.8%
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I agree with you that it's highly unlikely we'll get another midfielder (Maicon is quite possible though), but to answer your question: If both Modric and this supposed box-to-box midfielder are already here, you would have absolutely no leverage what so ever in negotiations for Kaka. Milan would probably would want us to pay them another 70 million to take him.

2. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Ganso deal = Acting an ass when microphones are near?

What is in a Jose Mourinho Press Conference Kit?

:D

3. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    You and I both know the press' writing isn't even woth the paper it's written on most times ;)

In keeping with conspiracy theories I bet we have, we just need to sell/loan Kaka now :D

4. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've never thought about that scenario purely because I've just been under the allusion that there is no chance we're buying 2 midfielders. But had we been seriously linked with Modrić and one of these other midfielders then I would have liked to think the priority in cm would be in place before we spend 33 millions on someone coming to replace Kaká. Then, I suppose, we could have used the proceeds from that transfer to bring in Modrić.

5. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You'll not be saying that if Witsel's or Dembele's face is all over tomorrows magnificent edition of Marca :D.

6. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Mourinho mentioned something about during the pre-season. What exactly do the Spaniards have against the Portuguese?

7. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^ The Portuguese are traditionally looked down upon as "farmers" in Spain, or at least thats what a couple of Spanish buddies have been saying

So Marca is saying we are only paying 30M euros with an extra 5M in variables, wheres the 42M euros figure being quoted from?

In wearing the #19 shirt, Modric follows the footsteps of some of the greatest Madrid heroes, Cassano, Anelka, Reyes, Baptista and Huntelaar :D

Excape Goat repped this.
  8. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    Okay? That is strange.

Anyway, Goal.com are the only ones reporting €42m. The BBC and Sky Sports are both reporting £29.3m or €37m.

9. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Well Blondie definitely has been "agricultural" especially in attack so I can see it :laugh:

El-CapitanoR7 repped this.
  10. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    €37 million as an initial fee and €5 million on variables...

11. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    35 million initial fee, 7 million in add-ons.

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome Modric, hope you get in where you fit in and make our midfield stronger. Guy seems ecstatic to be here, always love seeing that.

13. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Threads merged. Why the need for another one??

I hope Modric can give us the dimension we lack.

14. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Woof.

:D

15. plyka

plyka Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I got to disagree. I've always said that the biggest weakness for this team is the single position of RB or the area of midfield. This team has no guys in the midfield who can retain possession or break down a defense through dribbling/passing, notably against premier teams and defenses. Against great teams, Madrid tends to break into 2 separate sides, an attacking front and a defending back. How upset was everyone last year when the tactic against Barca (until later in the year) was to simply hoof the ball upfield and hope for the best?

And this year it has gotten much worse. Lass actually starting in the middle? It's like playing with 10 men when the team is in attack. Lass may be the worst player on the team. Or i should probably say, the worst player FOR this team. On Man United he may be a good asset. But with this team, he is out of place and a huge weakness.

I was hoping that Sahin would be the key. Mou, due to his irrational hatred for the kid, never gave him even the slightest of chances. I mean, even this year, how do you play Lass over Sahin in midfield? Not only for preseason but for the regular season as well, as Madrid lose 2 games and draw a one? Keep throwing that loser out there? Granero, Sahin, these players would make the midfield much brighter in my opinion.

Well, Sahin was a no go, but Modric, who is a great talent in his own right, will come in and brighten up that midfield. Hopefully Lass is now relegated to the bench, and modric and Xabi will be our new midfield with Khedira and Granero backing them up if necessary.

Very excited.

anticule repped this.
  16. Glide84

Glide84 Member+

Jan 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I know he has been training on his own; maybe I'm asking the impossible but any idea on how far he would be in terms of match fitness? Depending on how the match plays out I wonder if we see him late in the match on Wednesday.

17. genvej

genvej Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mou will NEVER play Xabi and Modric alone on the midfield vs top teams. With Mous prefered style of play he is in direct competion with Ôzil and Maria only.

Except when Mou panics and plays 2-3-5 of course.

Terrible signing. Modric got nothing on either Maria or Ôzil (hell even Kaka). Mark you my words... Modric is going to warm the bench in no time

To make matters worse. He is about 4 weeks behind in match fitness :-(

18. morgan07

morgan07 Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Glad we sign him, I enjoy his playing style. Assuming he can adapt quickly (which is likely) I think he will be use in the same way Sahin was supposed to be use last season if he wasn't injured, the first in line to filling in for either Xabi Alonso or Khedira depending on the game, or becoming an extra man in 3 men midfield in place of any of the attackers depending on needs.
    I only feel bad for the less high profile players in the team such as Granero and Callejon who will becoming lower in the pecking order and will have much less chance than last season. Mou will feature Modric, Marcelo, Higuain/Benzema, Lass, Kaka (if he stays) before playing them.

19. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And i bet he still fitter than Ozil.

20. realM11

realM11 Member

Jan 16, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Umar repped this.
  21. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    If you look at stats then ye modric is overpaid. If you watch luka play then you can see why Chelsea offered 40 million pounds for luka. Look at the Spain game for example. He was the only croatian player who could deal with Spain presssure and create scoring chances to boot. He is terrific with the ball and it's very hard to get the ball from him. Very much in the xavi mold..

Umar repped this.
  22. janos audron

janos audron Member+

Apr 12, 2010
    It`s funny to read all sorts of things about Modrič and his quality when you have midfield like: Lass, Khedira,.... In what universe does not this signing count as an improvement?

Welcome Luka!

23. madridismoorg

madridismoorg Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Madrid
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Modric's presentation at the Bernabeu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He seemed like a nice fellow. I'll post the press conference video tonight.

-Fifth CharM- repped this.
  24. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He seems like a great guy. I hope he does well with us.