Assessment problems

Discussion in 'Referee' started by CKRef22, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this as the heart of the matter too. It is completely unethical and unprofessional to change a previous assessment grade. Is there any wonder why I have contempt for the program. Here in NJ we have scores of horror stories about a number of individuals that have played favorites and generally made life difficult for referees.

This is what makes me so infuriated with referees. Here is an injustice. Something done that is not fair. Instead of urging the person to seek recourse and justice, a number of posters urge people to not make waves, play nice and generally ignore the problem. Is it any wonder why we are taken advantage of when we fail to stand up for what we believe in?

Furthering your comments. I don't see how a disagreement between the SRA and others regarding the referee in question should lead to arm twisting to change a previous passing grade to fail. If the referee passes all of the assessments and complies with all the requirements there cannot an impediment to keep the referee from advancing in grade. As for the popularity issue or burning of bridges, unless this referee is a carbon copy of the self absorbed and pompous official described in the earlier post we are comparing apples to oranges. It's completely different.

billf, CKRef22, Erocker and 5 others repped this.
  2. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    You are both correct. However, one thing stands out with this story that bothers me. All assessments are on line now. There is no paper assessment with any state anymore (only D&G assessments are still paper but are not used for upgrades). Once the assessment is posted and released to the referees, it cannot ever be changed. I don't understand how the feedback was changed. How was that possible?

3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    well, the OP refers to a person who wants to upgrade but is being stonewalled. what i suggested is practical and often (very) helpful strategy to get what one wants from people who are not otherwise agreeable. the OP does not suggest that the ref mentioned wants his money back, or the SRA to be fired, or anything else. he wants his (well deserved) upgrade.

i don't see that as recommending anyone sweep anything under the rug or be less indignant than the situation calls for. that's a logical leap that you make, not me. i like justice as much as anyone.

4. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Quite frankly, I don't believe the story about the assessments. They are all online and once released cannot ever be changed. I think someone isn't telling the whole story and it has nothing to do with the admins.

5. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't go trolling and accusing someone of dishonesty without reason. They can be changed but should only be in case of extreme error (eg checked wrong box).

6. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    You obviously do not know what you are talking about. They absolutely cannot be changed. Even our Director of Assessment for USSF can't do that. It is in the system forever. Trolling? I'm laughing so hard I can hardly type.

I stated my opinion using what I know about the assessment program. Dishonesty? I believe that I said that someone isn't telling the whole story. That means, since you can't read, that we are not getting the whole story, all the information.

Trolling? Seems that is what you are doing.

If you can add to the discussion then please do. Otherwise stop trying to incite.

7. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    Obvious to whom? Anything can be changed on the internet, the Director of Assessment may not be able to figure it out but my students can.

8. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    You obviously do not read the posts either. It is obvious that SA14mars don't know what he is talking about. I said nothing about students hacking into the USSF system to change an assessment that an assessor has completed and put the words in "they made me do it." How stupid is that?

Assessments cannot be changed by assessors once they are released. There are no longer check boxes so they won't need to be changed either.

Why can't you stay on subject?

9. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    "It is obvious that SA14mars doesn't know what he is talking about."

Yes I read posts, obviously :).

10. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    OK, have no idea what you mean here. Nice way to stay on topic. And what was it that you can add????

11. CKRef22

CKRef22 Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Washington state
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Tell me what part of the story you believe I left out and I'll see how I can help you. The referee in the story had an assessment done close to a year ago, and passed for his first of the two CR assessments. This assessment was done by a National Assessor. He then did a few more passes, one above what he needed, and sent his paperwork in for the upgrade. The Assessor in question sent an email (I have a copy myself) saying, and I quote "After factoring more info I decided to drop you a few points. This is perfectly in my power as an assessor."

12. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    I imagine that was confusing so I'll explain. You stated that a poster obviously doesn't know what they're talking about while using poor grammar and undercutting your own point.

13. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Do you feel better now? Poor grammar? Why? Because you couldn't figure out who I was "obviously" talking about?

The thread is about assessments. Just in case you forgot.

Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  14. themercenary

themercenary New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I've been reading this blog for several days now. My friend is very supportive of me. I am the referee that is having this problem. The state I am having this problem in is Washington State. The reason I am having this issue is because of several people I had a verbal argument with years ago. If there is a lesson to be learned from here is never verbally argue with any one because you never know when that person might get put in a powerful position over you and influence things whether ethical or not. I have not decided exactly how I am going to move forward with this I have several options I am having to go through to which I'm not sure which path I will be taking.

For the users that believe it is impossible to change an assessment I agree with you and hope you are RIGHT!!! If you are right than that makes whichever side of the case I choose to take recourse on is accurate and correct on my behalf. Here is the assessment process I went through.

I started my assessment process by turning in all my paperwork in January of 2012, I got permission to seek my first assessment on March 9th. My first assessment in the southern part of the state was deemed unassessable by a State assessor named Scott Lawrence. I later scheduled in the same league an assessment for my AR by a national assessor also a referee inspector Cory Dean in which I passed this assessment. My next assessment was done by MO whom also is a national assessor whom I passed by. I later did two more assessments by Bob Fadden whom is a state assessor whom both times found my games to be unassessable. I later chose due to this unassessment cards decided to try my risk on an Academy game in which both those teams later ended up being the same two teams that were in the championships later on from what I told. This game was in way over my head in which I failed in the 87th minute by Cory Dean a national assessor. I was than told since I failed the assessment I would need to show for upgrade a total of 4 passing assessments in order to get the upgrade which I only showed 2 at the moment and now a fail. This was all done in writing. I chose to restudy and to take some officiating time off from assessments so that I could decide if I could learn enough and be strong enough to either continue my upgrade process and have learned from my fail or to wait a year and continue on next year. I chose to in September that I had changed a lot and to move forward in my assessment process. I said to myself I only need 2 more this could be easy. I ended up getting 2 assessments by Jim Kritzberg and both times the assessments were unassessable though they were in a different league then any of my prior assessments. I later than did another assessment by Cory Dean whom passed me on a liga play off game. I now at this point only needed one more game by this time by what they had told me in writing. I got a final game in a league else where in which I had Bob Fadden a State assessor do it in which he passed me and I was finally to my thoughts done. I turned in all my paper work and made sure everything was in order. After turning in everything about 10 days later I recieved a letter saying the SRA of Washington State was personally asking for an audit on my assessments which also I have in writing. At this point I only asked is there a reason for this? In which I got little to no reply on that merit. I eventually a few days later got a message saying that the policy had changed and that it will require me to do 5 passing assessments and not 4. I was angry as I'm sure most people would be. I sought protection and decided to make a battle based on their writings as well as their policies/ unwritten policies. After much talking and communication most done in writing format an agreement was made in which I had till March 9th to seek 1 more assessment or I would have to suspend my upgrade for atleast 1 year. I got this in writing from the SDA whom is Cory Dean, the secretary as well as the SRA of the state Betty Schneck. Here is copied and pasted from them their words. They decided due to USSF backing from the administrative handbook that they could use new policy and though they prior said different I could be upheld to the new standard the state put which I unhappily accepted but chose to any way because I knew deep down if I tried hard enough I could pass one more assessment. Here is SRA's words below.

November 17, 2012

It took longer to receive verification from Chicago regarding the upgrade
    requirements which are still in effect enough there has been a publication
    stating different. The state has the responsibility of setting standards for
    upgrade as well and can set more stringent requirements than the national
    standard if they so desire. Washington has selected to follow the past
    standards until the new handbook is published.

We are well aware of the recent publication regarding the Referee
    Administrative Handbook:

"REFEREE ADMINISTRATIVE HANDBOOK UPDATE
    Please note that the Referee Administrative Handbook is no longer valid with
    immediate effect. This applies to all hard copy and electronic forms of the
    text. All current and accurate information related to the administrative
    policies and practices of the U.S. Soccer Federation Referee Program can be
    located in the various sections of the Resource Center."
    The USSF "Referee Administrative Handbook" states:

"If a candidate fails a third assessment in a 12-month period, the referee
    must start the upgrade procedure over for the next registration cycle,
    starting with zero assessments. For all upgrading referees, a failing
    assessment must be made up by two passing assessments in addition to the
    original required number of assessments. No assessments will count if the
    game is not deemed a sufficient test."

For you this means the one failure is erased by your two (2) passed
    assessments and is removed from the count. Since you have passed one (1)
    assessment as referee and one (1) assessment as assistant referee, you still
    need a second (2) passed assessment as referee to meet the requirements as
    stated by USSF.

I got both the SRA and the SDA to approve my assessment a few weeks ago in California which at this point my assessments all showed as being the same. on February 17th I went down to California in which I passed by one of cal Souths assessors and met the new requirements put on myself 3 months prior. I again turned in my paper work and a few days later received this...

After factoring more info I decided to drop you a few points.
    This is perfectly in my power as an assessor.
    Cory
    He only did two things to my old assessment he changed my score which was 72 to 68 which the site shows this was later done months later by putting the change in blue in rather then black ink like most assessments would show if they are just put in with 0 changes. He left all the areas of critic etc as the same as when I passed. The only part he changed other then the score was the comment section in which he changed it to say this...
    After more information was presented I believe you are not ready to represent our state as a State Referee. A big part of refereeing at the higher levels is handling yourself off the field in a mature and respected manner. Making idle threats of law suits and sending rude emails to the administrators that make the decision proves you need more time to grow up and gain the maturity needed to perform at the State Referee level. For this reason Im giving you a failing assessment.

The administration was so upset that to make sure I wasn't going to get screwed with the assessment process if I went to a 3rd party a law firm to which I made sure to have everthing in writing. I've dealt with these people long enough I wanted them to know that I wanted everything to be solid and that this new compromise wasn't ever going to come back and haunt me by them changing it again. But it seems even when you use a 3rd party to make a compromise they still will forget that fact. As of this moment I have not decided any legal course of action the problem I am running into with an appeal to USSF is it states clearly I can appeal but it goes to the State in which goes to the SDA which is Cory Dean the same man whom has caused this problem twice. I can protest this assessment but it only goes to the very same administration and same man that in the first place caused this problem and made the unprofessional and unethical decision in the first place. The biggest thing I cannot understand is I got there permission in writing and notified them of the assessment in California both the SDA and SRA which is procedure yet they didn't one bit tell me they were changing my past assessment or intended to. They waited till I passed my california assessments wasted all that time and money to than change the assessment after I notified them by paperwork of me passing when I asked for the upgrade.

15. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    I tried to look at your assessment in the system (I do have access to that info) using your name before you edited it out. I do not see any assessment posted in the system at all.

If Cory did not do the assessment he cannot edit it. If the SOCAL assessor edited it after releasing it it is not possible. It could be that it was not officially released and they contacted you. Like I stated, assessments are all online and once release they cannot be changed. This is the part that has me puzzled. Aagain, no one but an assessor who did the assessment can change any assessment and, the online assessments once released cannot be changed.

If WA did send you the statement in some letter, that is not appropriate and it should be taken up with Dave McKee ASAP.

16. themercenary

themercenary New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    No no Cal South Assessor did a good job everything on his end is lagit and good hes the guy that passed me for my most recent assessment. The game details of which the SDA changed which was my assessment by him months ago was this. I don't know even how I exactly appeal this which is a huge issue my second problem is after seeing this how much influence is my Administration willing to use to try and stop me? Will they purposely try to fail me on a maintance etc.. Do I need to eventually change states just to stay out of thier influence is that even possible? I'd love to get this to Dave McKee but how would I do that exactly?

Game Details - ASMT-51923
    Date & Time Level & League Location
    Score
    Teams Officials
    10/14/12 11:00am
    (Sunday) ADULT - M
    (USSF ASSESSMENT) MARYMOOR PARK
    (REDMON, WA)
    TBD
    TBD
    BUDGET TRUCK WRECKING
    vs. ATL MORELOS [​IMG] -
    Assessors
    [​IMG] -\

Names of officials has been deleted.

17. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This is very bad procedure and shameful on the part of the admins.

How someone can be given a failing assessment on a game for things
    that had nothing to do with game in question is beyond me. The referee is supposed
    to be evaluated on how he did in that particular game, and that is all.

WRT changing of an assessment once it is finalized, yes normally it
    cannot be changed anymore by the assessor alone. But I believe that it is possible to
    have the assessment opened back up by someone with this authority so that
    changes can be made. Since the assessment was done by the SDA himself,
    it is clear how the change was able to be done in this case.

There are many referees at higher levels who may not particularly be the nicest
    people in the world off the field, but still do a good job of officiating their games.

PH

18. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Even the SDA cannot change an assessment once released by the system. They can, however, in amateur or lower games, re-enter the info and complete another assessment of the same game. That would still show both games in the referees list.

Something does not sound right here.

19. themercenary

themercenary New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    This has created a point in my referee career of now 9 years of whether or not I can ever have a career in this field. They have gone out of their way at every turn to make me deal out more money costs as well as stress and hassle for getting just a grade 6 badge. It makes me wonder how I can ever go from a 6 to a 5 years down the road or even any farther if this is what I have to go through again?

20. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Last years assessments will not show in my system any longer. You said the game from CA was changed and that was done in 2013. The game you posted here is from 2012. You have me confused as to which game you are saying was changed.

Yu can PM me if you want. Dave McKee's info is on the US Soccer Referee Web page. Contact him.

21. themercenary

themercenary New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    IDK what to tell you Whistleblowerusa. I have letters form both the Admins and the SDA saying I needed just 1 more assessment even showing me that I had passed his assessment clearly. I am not a website pro I'm just on their as an referee. I didn't think you could go in and do it but he clearly did somehow someway. All he did change in the criteria was the score and the comments section nothing else on the assessment was changed from when it was a pass...

22. whistleblowerusa

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    I don't know anyone who has privileges to change anything, even McKee. Contact Dave.

23. ChomskyReferee

Jan 24, 2013
    I moved from Cal South to Washington, and I can't say that I'm surprised by this at all. Since moving here I have seriously doubted wanting to continue reffing at all, maybe even putting my career on hold while I'm here until I can move back down to Cal South.

Also, the assessor misspelled "Redmond"

24. themercenary

themercenary New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Your not the only one I've heard that from. I'm also thinking the same. Its really sad that this state has so much potential but because of so many factors it does this.

25. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    My question is this. Was the score changed and the above quote added to the original assessment that was entered in gameofficials? or was another assessment entered for the same game as WB has suggested? If the latter, the original assessment still exists in the system. If the former, I am unaware that this is even possible.