Asian Cup 2011 Qatar - Group D Discussion

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Caesar, Apr 23, 2010.

1. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and here's one more... North Korea's missed penalty...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtRXS3Rnuo"]YouTube - Asian Cup 2011: North Korea vs. UAE - penalty miss[/ame]

2. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    That was a perfect example of a wrong sub. He came in, got yellow-carded and caused the foul that lead to the goal.

3. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks for sharing this.

What stands out for Taimurian is that he's been running the most and yest his average speed is the same as that of the team, indicating plenty of involvement from him.

My question to you is, shouldn't you be comparing the stats within players in the same position across teams, and not of different positions within a team? I mean, an Iran CM vs an Australian CM etc. Maybe the other teams also have certain positions ( and predictably so) where the players run the most.

4. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    China's #10 Deng ran 11.05 but has a bigger spread around the field

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Here is how I would rate Iran's players in the match against Iraq, on a 10 point scale, 10 denoting a perfect game:

Seyed Mehdi Rahmati (GK): 7.5 (was partly at fault for Iraq's goal, but otherwise made excellent saves and did great)

Seyed Jalal Hosseini (Central Defense): 8.0 (won everything that came his way)
    Hadi Aghili (Central Defense): 7.5 (did alright defensively and helped out on set pieces on offense)
    Mohammad Nosrati (Right Fullback): 7.0 (didn't do anything wrong but nothing all that great either)
    Ehsan Hajsafi (Left Fullback): 7.0 (this was one of Hajsafi's better games and he got a passing grade in my book)

Javad Nekounam (Midfielder): 7.5 (helped Iran control the ball in the middle of the pitch, although Nekounam didn't always capitalize on chances that came to him)
    Andranik Teymourian (Midfielder): 8.5 (Iran's real MOTM, Teymourian prevented Iraq from having possession and his work rate was simply awesome)
    Eman Mobali (Midfielder): 7.5 (Mobali's set pieces are world class, but he needs to improve his work rate and be quicker in his decision-making. Still, scored the winning goal and created some good chances on set pieces)

Gholamreza Rezaie (Forward): 8.0 (showed great poise scoring the tying goal and excellent work rate upfront)
    Mohammad Gholami (Target Forward): 6.5 (he didn't get the ball as much and didn't stand out much offensively, but he did harass the Iraqi players to help Iran start its defense upfront)
    Masoud Shojaie (Forward): 6.0 (Shojaie was not effective in my eyes, and while he has scored critical goals for Iran, the main reason he starts is because he is one of the few remaining legionnaires on Iran's team)
    ---

Subs:
    Mohammad Reza Khalatbari (Forward): 8.0 (Excellent showing the few minutes he played. He played a role in Iran's victory by earning the free kick that led to our goal)
    Karim Ansarifard (Target Forward): N/R (didn't play long enough to get a rating)
    Pejman Nouri (Midfielder): N/R (didn't play long enough to get a rating)

6. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Where did you find these statistical graphics? I've been looking around the AFC website but can't seem to find them anywhere.

7. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  8. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    There we go. Thanks for that, was driving me crazy.

9. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Christians and Muslims held hands and lived happily ever after in the land called Nerd. :D

Those are awesome graphics btw. :)

10. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    What's up with Teymourian's Timur the Lame new look? With that Mustache, he looks like an officer from Genghis Khan or Timur's army. :p

11. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I don't care for that word, the first time I even heard of it was in the US and never understood its meaning (No true Persian definition for it) until I finally realized it is somehow supposed to negatively stereotype people who are smart, work hard, and know how the world works. Asians are at the forefront of this type of stereotype in the US. American culture encourage being dumb and incompetent so the average person continues to be silent and passive at their continuously shittier situation while the rich keep laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm not a Muslim btw, I'm and Atheist

12. fiercejoy

fiercejoy Member

Jul 1, 2010
    fwiw, imo the word nerd has lost most of its negative connotations. nerd equals the new cool.

13. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would probably be me actually... especially after a double-header double-header (4 games in two days)... running from car park to stadium, back to car park, to stadium, back to car park, etc.... it's pretty exhausting really and while the players only have to do it once every four days, I gotta do it everyday!

:eek:

14. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX9vh-FhBGo"]YouTube - ‫???? ?????? ?????.mpg‬‎[/ame]

15. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    If both Japan and S.Korea participated this AC with the same coach and lineup as the WC2010, then yes, my prediction with the two teams would fare much, much higher. But they're not. And several factors (like change of coach, change of tactics/style, unfortunate injuries of key players, and in Korea's case, a complete overhaul of gameplay that I think will take about a year to settle well) make me doubt the dominance of these two countries this time around.

The change is a lot more dramatic for Korea than Japan even though both are fielding a very young squad. The new coach wants to play the "Spanish" game with the young guns, and thus kicked out almost 60% of the WC2010 (which was only 6~7 months ago) squad. None of the strikers from WC2010 made it (although 1 player was just unfortunate since it was due to injury), and the average age of the current FW line up is 20.1 with a combined 7 A-match experience for all of them combined. They're all very talented for their age, but that lack of experience may hurt them in a tournament like this. Like the new coach (who has only had 4 A-matches with this team prior to this tournament) said, this team aims for the WC2014 in Brazil. I have no doubts that this team will be very strong by then. But that's exactly what it is. 2014. (I wished he would bring the WC2010 squad, since that was already a reasonably young squad on its own. But the new coach has a different plan....which centers around a bit more Spanish style of game as opposed to a bit more Dutch style of game we had for WC2010)

Anyway, KSA obviously hasn't done the best of preparations. They should be doing better.

16. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    that doesnt matter. nobody likes to shoot themselves in the foot right? so if you celebrate any world cup win, then you must admit that this is the best asian cup squad possible that you sent for this edition, while keeping the overall interests of korean football in mind.;) thus this is the best possible squad you send out for the best interests of korean football as a whole, so excuses are invalid. good luck with your best possible squad and lets see if they can defeat the best possible squad of Iran in this edition, and not play for a tie like last edition in which you tactically chose your best possible asian cup squad for, in which the effect carried over and you had a good wcq campaign and consequently world cup. Iran might have qualified to the world cup if our current young team got to gain experience last asian cup too.

17. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    best ac squad for the future wcq? yes. Our 18~22 year old strikers will become formidable and experienced by then.

18. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    glad you acknowledge such facts; this time hopefully you wont cry 19 year old defender when we beat you (like you did in 2004).

19. Korean Football

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    I never did.

This may not be our best ac squad for the ac2011, but it definitely is our best ac squad for the next wcq. At least it looks like it for now.

20. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    Ref for Iran-North Korea wil be Nawaf Shukralla (BHR)

21. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Dude why do you always have to make provoking comments. When I first joined the boards, I didn't know why the Koreans hated us so much. But if every post you make is an attempt to provoke or have Koreans concede to YOUR opinion, I can see why...

BTW, very informative post Koreanfootball, thanks. We also have two young strikers (Arash Afshin - age 21 and Karim Ansarifard - age 20). Apparently Ansarifard is being scouted by some Bundesliga teams (Borussia Dortmund from what I hear). The problem with our team is that aside from the strikers, the midfielders/defenders right now are at an age suitable for the world cup (26-28) but will be far too old when the tournament comes around. Even if South Korea hasn't won the Asian Cup for 51 years, they're making good use of it by preparing the future generation for the World Cup.

Through the World Cup, countries like Japan and South Korea gain exposure on the highest level which allows the players to de discovered. Due to the number of Korean/Japanese talents in Europe over the past 10 years, I'm sure there are more scouts in those countries then there were 10-15 years ago (hence why you have players like Lee-Chung Yung and Son Heung-Min in Europe at a young age).

Ultimately, if and only if Iran manages to win the Asian Cup, would it justify the inclusion of several older players. However, if we don't, we'll be left picking up the pieces when the WCQ come around. Unlike South Korea and Japan who are constantly bringing in new blood, we're too conservative with our player selections and keep bringing in the older/experienced players. Just take Ali Daei for example. While he was a fantastic striker, he played on the national team until he was 37. This ultimately ruin a generation's chance to gain exposure at that level and become a real starting XI player. Only now with the two mentioned players are we starting to pick up the pieces in that department.

22. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Interesting post. :)

If you don't mind me asking, Korean Football, which one of these following teams do you think has the highest/best chance of winning the Asian Cup:
    1. Australia
    2. Iraq
    3. Japan
    4. North Korea
    5. South Korea
    6. Uzbekistan

If you don't mind... I'd like to know your view. :eek:

23. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    you have not even been here for a year dude. you dont know the background... everything i say is true.

24. unattainable

unattainable New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    U.A.E
    in my little experiment in football i think we will see a new champion
    i expect that Uzbekistan will be the new champion also i expect that
    iraq will go out from first stage

after 3 years saudi arabia will be replaced by UAE
    and Iran will be replaced by N korea
    Japan, S korea and Australia will still strong

25. NinaQatar

NinaQatar Member

Sep 25, 2010
    I partly agree with you.

I also think we'll see a new winner in this year's edition of the Asian Cup. I hope it's Australia but it could also be Uzbekistan or the hosts.

The UAE is indeed a rising power, I'll agree to that as well. They have many good teams at the youth levels, and eventually they'll have a team strong enough to win the Asian cup someday. Would they replace Saudi Arabia, though? Too hard to tell, but they do have very good sports institutions and nobody can deny their potential. The same could be said about Qatar, too. :)