Asian Cup 2011 Qatar - Group D Discussion

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Caesar, Apr 23, 2010.

1. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    apparently there was a moment of silence in remembrance to the iranians who lost their lives in the plane crash and some idiots were booing during that minute of silence.
    shameful and disrespectful behaviour

2. AntlersFan17

AntlersFan17 New Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I envy you soo much,i wish i could go to a game = (

3. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    I dont know what the general view of Iraqi towards Iranian football is but I can tell you for the most part Iranians like Iraqi football because you guys dont play dirty. Iraq is one of the few Arab nations which I would support ( of course when not playing Iran) along with Egypt , Algeria , and Syria.

4. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Thought the exact same thing. When Iraq first scored I went 'wow this looks familiar.'

I thought Saudi Arabia and Iran are the favorites to win this tournament this time around. Now that Saudi Arabia disappointed a bit, I'm going to have to shift the prediction to just Iran (with Australia and Japan trailing right behind). They look very well prepared, like they should have (disappointingly, which KSA didn't seem to).

5. moqool

moqool Member

Dec 19, 2006
    There were a few disrespectful bedouins among the Arab fans who attended the game, therefore their actions shouldn't be associated to the Iraqi fans since the Iraqis acted in a very respectable manner for their Iranian neighbors and showed sympathy and respect towards Iran in the 2 minutes of silence and during the Iranian national anthem. So you'll have to ignore those backward bedouins who caused a bit of controversy, most of them were either local Qataris or from neighboring Gulf states, you'll know who they are.

Anyway, I'd like to congratulate my Iranian brothers and sisters for winning the match but more importantly I'd like to express my condolences to those who died in the airplane crash, and to all their families, friends and loved ones. May they rest in peace and kudos to the Iranian players who tried to dedicate this victory to their lost passengers by not overly celebrating when scoring.

Anyway, good luck to Iran and Iraq. I love both of these countries and both the Iranian/Persian and Iraqi peoples. They maintained themselves very well, didn't grassroll like us Khaleejis and held themselves to high regards of professionalism.

I hope to see both teams making it through to the quarter finals. Good game.

======================

As for UAE vs. North Korea, the Koreans should have won. I don't expect to see a single goal scored by UAE throughout this tournament and I'd love to see Iraqi whipping their backsides.

6. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    thank you for your nice words man! it means a lot
    i agree iraq played a well game in a respected manner (i expected no less) and it was a fair play match.

7. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You think this IRAN will go to the finals?

8. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I'm surprised you would say this because judging on the past year or two of Asian Football, I would think one would rank Japan and South Korea as the top contenders followed by Australian and the Saudis and the followed by Iran.

Given the set-up of the groups, given that Iran qualifies to the QF, we will 99% play either Australia or South Korea, which is where most of us think our journey will end. However, if the Saudis are not able to do a massive turnaround and Syria ends up as runner-ups in Group B, the winner of the Iran-South Korea/Australia match will most likely play the winner of the Syria-Uzbekistan/China game.

Even though it's still early, I'm hoping that South Korea beats the Aussies to take first place in the group so Iran can avoid them in the QF (I think we have a slightly better chance vs the Aussies). If Iran can miraculously win, and also beat the semi-final team, there's a very high chance that we would play the winner of a possible South Korea - Japan game.

9. AC 03

AC 03 New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Iam surprise with North Korea they are toughest team in the group but show such a poor performance against UAE
    Iran - Iraq best match in first round as far and i think this is strongest group at tournament its open for all four teams to Qualified in the next round

10. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia
    I'd agree with Group D being the strongest and quite even based on the first round thus far. What surprised me was that Iraq and UAE were stronger than i expected which gives the whole Group a lift.

It's a pity they two qualifiers from this Group will play off against the two qualifiers from Group C which is probably the next toughest Group at the moment.

The top half of the draw is the place to be.

11. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Dear friend,
    You showed a lot of class in that simple post of yours. It's always well appreciated when sportsmanship wins the day. I agree with you that the disgraceful beghaviour of a few fans should not be an assessment on a whole nation. It makes it more important when you can consider the possibility of such dispecable acts being orchestrated in advance by those who would benefit from divion amongst people. Again, with fans like yourself ther is hope.

As for the game, as I said earlier both sides created some quality chances, and both seem to be among the best so far. Iraq has enough quality to beat both UAE and N. Korea; hope they put this behind them just as Iran must do the same and concentrate on the next game. I wouldn't be surprised if we meet again in the toruny.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I enjoyed Iran's win over Iraq as I felt both teams showed quality. While Iran was the better team, the result of this game was at no point foreordained. Throughout the match, even in the periods that Iran was dominating, I felt Iraq showed it had what it takes to hurt Iran. For me, it was a very tense game which made the result at the end even more enjoyable. Kudos to both teams for playing well, although in terms of sportsmanship, I actually expected better from Iraq. Frankly, I saw a couple of things from them that I didn't like, but no need to dwell on it. I still find Iraq (along with Syria and Lebanon), and unlike many of the Persian Gulf sheikdoms and the like, an Arab country that Iranians can identify with. Anyway, good luck to both teams and I certainly hope to see both make the next round.

I should mention, incidentally, that statistically Iran has played Iraq 21 times, and now won 11 times, has 5 draws and 5 losses. Our last loss as I recall was in the 1996 Asian Cup. In other words, on purely a statistical level, this game was always Iran's to lose. Similarly, our next game against North Korea is against a team that has never in its entire history defeated Iran, despite playing us on numerous occasions. The best result North Korea has against Iran are a couple of draws at home. We have almost always beat them, with our draw in Pyongyang during the last World Cup qualifiers somewhat an exception to the rule. From what I saw from N.Korea against the UAE, I don't think they have what it takes to change their historic fortunes against Iran, but this is football and nothing is for certain. Except that Iran is better than North Korea:)

13. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    come again? :confused:
    North Korea qualifies for the wc an they are suddenly the toughest in the group?? lmao
    India qualified out of the Asian zone to the WC way back when, maybe they are also the toughest in group c?

14. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    so yesterday my Canadian soccer buddy comes up to me and starts talking about the Iran-Iraq game. He asks me if it will end in a blood bath etc... :rolleyes: I was reading the same thing all over the net!
    I think both teams shut every buddy up quite good.
    About the match...

1) I didn't know wheter I should be happy or sad when Iran scored the second goal. That poor guy who gave the idiotic foul away must have suicidal thoughts right now.

2) why were there so many arabs in the stands supporting Iran? Are they Iranain arabs living in Qatar?

3) Iraqis must feel like shit right now and as dumb as it sounds, I kind of feel guilty but at the end of the day I obviously wanted Iran to win. Football in that part of the world means everything for people when they have nothing else. In Iran people are living under a repressive theocracy and Iraqis are living through a war. These games will bring smiles on many faces.

does anybody have the extended highlites for the UAE-Korea game?

15. AC 03

AC 03 New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dont underrate them
    North Korea qualifies for the world cup along with Australia, South Korea and Japan so simply they are among best 4 teams in Asia in the present

16. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol okay bud
    whatever you say

they got to the world cup by parking the bus. North Korea plays the most anti football game ON THE PLANET. KSA and Iran were also extremely weak in that campaign.
    Again, India got to the WC once upon a time but...

Iraq, iran, SKorea, Japan, KSA, Australia, UAE are all better then North Korea (there must be a couple more that I forgot). You might be able to qualify for the wc by parking the bus, but you won't achieve shit in ANY TOURNAMENT by playing anti football.
    btw I didn't see their game today so I don't know how they played.

17. King Keano

King Keano Member

May 6, 2006
    LA
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    A fully class-act post by a classy member, Kudos to you my friend!

On a side note, congrats to my fellow Iranians, may we keep on improving as the tournament proceeds and won't disappoint in the upcoming matches..

Iraq indeed played a nice and clean football, Iraq for sure is a great football nation and I am almost 100% positive that they will advance from this group.

18. burning_phoneix

Jul 13, 2008
    Saudi Arabia
    Club:
    Al Wehda Mecca
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    What is it with this tournament and late winners/equalizers? :confused:

19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a vid I got from the match - caught the winning goal!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSSydCs8N0"]YouTube - Iran 2-1 Iraq - Iman Mobali scores winning goal in Asian Cup 2011[/ame]

20. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    what is it with this tournament and not a single arab team winning? :D:D

sorry, been trying to throw that one in a thread for a while now :D

21. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Yes, Moqool is truly classy :rolleyes:
    Exploiting a tragedy to pass through digs at other countries instead of giving condolences respectfully.

22. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Yeah things not looking good. It may just be a bad spell bad I fear it may be a decline.

23. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think AFC website has some cool stats on each game which could be interesting to football geeks :)

Stats: Iran - Iraq

Shots on target: 6 - 3
    Shots off target: 10 - 3
    Corners: 5 - 5
    Crosses: 16 - 17
    Fouls: 19 -25
    Offsides: 0 - 3
    Yellow card: 0 - 1
    Possession: 61 - 39
    Distance Run (Km): 105 - 102

Most active player: Anderanik Teymourian of Iran with 11.1 Km

The heatmap of where both teams spent most of their time:

Iran:

[​IMG]

Iraq:

[​IMG]

24. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Ok now I am kind of getting obsessed with this. I haven't checked all the teams yet but I think Teymourian so far is the player who is been running the most. Just look at these stats:

[​IMG]

Who else in this tournament has been outstanding so far let me know would love to check his stats.

25. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You got the stats for shots posted reversed, Iran had 10-6 shots, not Iraq.