Asian Cup 2011 Qatar - Group D Discussion

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by Caesar, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
  2. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iraq looked great today; organized and dangerous.

Iran looked terrible. So frustrating...

3. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    any exciting youngsters on Iran's squad? Looking at wikipedia the average age seems to be 25+

4. V.I.P.ersian

V.I.P.ersian Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    We have a couple of young strikers who have potential:

Karim Ansarifard is a 20 year old striker and although I'm not hugely impressed with his game, he's still very young and has potential. A lot of fans like him and he may even find a spot in the starting XI for the Asian Cup.

Arash Afshin is another youngster who has excited Team Melli fans recently. He's 21 years old, but unlike Ansarifard, he's had no experience with the national team. He's played quite well in the Iranian league this year and he seems to have some serious potential. He was not used in either of the 2 prep matches Iran played this week, however, which makes me fear that Ghotbi may be planning to cut him from the list. I hope I'm wrong.

There are a couple of other new players who will hopefully surprise the opposition with their skill:

Ghasem Hadadifar, a 27 year old center mid, was one of the most important pieces to Zob Ahan's success this year, and I love the way he distributes the ball. He'll be vying with Pejman Nouri and Andranik Teymourian for playing time.

Mohammad Gholami is a 27 year old striker who plays with a lot of fire. He's built like a bull and he's always looking to score. I hope we see lots of him during the Asian Cup.

5. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is why Iran will fail when it comes to WCQ. Rather than picking and providing younger players with experience, we always rely on older players. Almost every player (9-10) that will most likely be in our starting line-up will be 30 or over by the 2014 World Cup. :(:eek:

6. Team Melli forever

Jul 11, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Our U-17 players that won the Asian Cup and beat the Netherlands in the world cup a few years ago are just reaching their 20s, we have talent coming up.

7. Zafaraniyeh

Zafaraniyeh Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Club:
    Sepahan
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I just hope the next coach will be objective enough to look at all of our players rather than just the big names. Team Melli is in desperate need of a make over.

8. laborday

laborday Red Card

Sep 7, 2010
    Jong Taese is going to Asian Cup 2011.

9. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Wow what a turnaround! Bochum originally refused the call-up, but now they decided to let him go.

This group really will be a tough group to predict. Not sure how UAE is doing, but N.Korea will not be easy.

10. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This is a Fifa sanctioned tournament how can they refuse?

11. Kamran

Kamran Member

Nov 19, 2004
    Melbourne - AUS
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran final 23:

Goalkeepers:
    Mehdi Rahmati - Sepahan Esfahan
    Shahab Gordan - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Ebrahim Mirzapour - Paykan Ghazvin

Defenders:
    Khosro Heydari - Sepahan Esfahan
    Mohammad Nosrati - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
    Jalal Hosseini - Sepahan Esfahan
    Hadi Aghily - Sepahan Esfahan
    Farshid Talebi - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Ehsan Hajsafi - Sepahan Esfahan
    Abouzar Rahimi - Rah Ahan Ray

Midfielders:
    Javad Nekounam - CA Osasuna, ESP
    Andranik Teymourian - Teraktorsazi Tabriz
    Pejman Nouri - Malavan Anzali
    Iman Mobali - Esteghlal Tehran
    Mohammad Nouri - Persepolis Tehran
    Ghasem Hadadifar - Zob Ahan Esfahan

Strikers:
    Masoud Shojaei - CA Osasuna, ESP
    Gholamreza Rezaei - Persepolis Tehran
    Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari - Zob Ahan Esfahan
    Arash Afshin - Foolad Khuzestan
    Mohammad Gholami - Steel Azin Tehran
    Karim Ansarifard - Saipa Karaj
    Reza Norouzi - Foolad Khuzestan

12. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Normally they can't.

But if the FA doesn't do what they're supposed to do, the clubs have the right to decline. (which is what happened between the N.Korean FA and VFL Bochum)

13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Cause there's something about filling out paperwork or letting them know offiialy (the club that is) of his selection 15 days before the NT takes him. DPRK FA didn't do that so Vfl Bochum were within their rights to not let him go.

14. Iranfreedomfighter

Iranfreedomfighter New Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Perspolis
    I love how Iran has only 2 legionnaires. This helps coherency seeing as 9 of the players come from 2 isfahan based clubs. They see each other and are familiarized. As opposed to 2007, when the team was much older a few changes happened for Iran. Our goalkeeper has a bit more confidence than our past one. Our defenders are still shaky but slightly better. Hajsafi (although not perfect) is faster and more reliable than Zandi was. Our midfield is led By Nekounam and Teymourian. Mobali is a fine FK taker. The Nouri's and Hadadifar finish well. I like the attack. Khalatbari has proven he can take on ACL opposition. Shojaei still has his dribbling and speed. Rezaei is speedy and experienced with this level opposition Arash Afshin has pace and is hungry to prove himself. This will be a positive AC. Whether we win or not, is up to interpretation but I have to remind everyone that some teams are not up to par.

North Koreans have been disapointing since the World Cup. Iraq has aged 4 years since the last tournament and Emad Ridha is not at his peak anymore. U.A.E. is U.A.E. and will have trouble with Iran's speedy forwards. With experience reaching the next stage anything can happen.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The best way to sum up this group is to say it has no clear favorites. Iran would be favorites to advance from the group in my book, but only barely and not entirely comfortably. I might give Iraq a slightly better chance than North Korea, but choosing between the two would not be easy. And even the UAE cannot be entirely written off.

Iran: Iran has traditionally been one of the top teams in Asian football, often Asia's very best side in terms of talent and pedigree, and even today it is ranked only behind Australia, Japan and South Korea by FIFA. Unlike past Iranian squads, however, this one does not boast any star players. But this is still a strong team nonetheless and capable, on a good day, of beating anyone else in Asia. It should be regarded as a favorite to advance from its group, even though Group D is the most balanced group in this Asian Cup.

Iraq: Iraq surprised most pundits when it won the Asian Cup in 2007, but Iraq has always had a decent side by Asian standards and are capable of beating any else in this tournament as well. I rate them perhaps slightly weaker than Iran, the latter a side which over the past decade or so has enjoyed good results against Iraq, but I would still rate Iraq the second strongest side in this group.

North Korea: Their success in several youth tournaments notwithstanding, and despite North Korea qualifying for the last World cup, they are still merely a very tenacious and pesky side that rate behind the top teams in Asia and can get a result against them mostly against the run of play. I expect them to lose to Iran, a side they have never defeated and which has usually defeated them, and perhaps draw Iraq. They might defeat the UAE though and, overall, will be in contention to advance from this group as well.

UAE: The UAE might be rated the weakest team in this group, but they are no minnows and can upset any one of their opponents in this group. I suspect they will finish last, but I don't think they will go pointless. And that means any of the other 3 teams, including possibly Iran, might end up giving at least a point to the UAE.

16. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    VERY good analyse!

17. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOMLTkLUYU"]YouTube - WARRIORS - TVC for "AFC Asian Cup qatar 2011"[/ame]

18. bobjones2

bobjones2 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    I would rep Mani, but must spread rep. Thanx dude.

I see thou, the King hasn't returned yet in the commercial... We'll have to watch for the buses for the sequel. :)

19. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    what are you smoking? our players cant put 2 passes together against the likes of qatar. coherence? lol. money hungry assistance coach ghotbi and his empty promises wont win shit. he will just gather his money, screw us, and leave until the next clown comes to get his payday.

20. Iranfreedomfighter

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Coherence comes from practice. Iran - Qatar was few hours after after Nekounam and Shojaei landed in Doha. Obviously not their best performance. Also, a random friendly vs. asian cup. Arash Afshin is promising. Our team has speed. Look, no team is a Brazil, Germany, or Spain here. Australia tied UAE. Saudi couldn't beat Angola. ( same team we beat 1-0). Teams have lost their old players. Now it's like its a new generation test. We have a ACL goalkeeper, ACL strikers, and defenders. We have youth and experiencee with us. Ghotbi isn't the best coach in the world. But seeing as I don't think another Iranian in the entire population ahs the balls to take reins now. We need to deal with him. And he will do what he wants which would be quite good to leave us with an AC under his belt. Remember it's 6 games. Iran vs South Korea is always a toss up. We have players who could shine. We don't have any drama. (karimi/daei etc). I'm just saying, negativity is never good at a tournament. Look at how Americans do it, they are always "underdogs" so when they win, everyone is ecstatic. Optimism could help Iran win the Cup in Qatar. Now tell me doesn't that sound sweet?

21. aka z

aka z New Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As for Iran Vs. Iraq, an modestly prepared Iraqi team has on many occasions kept up with any team that Iran has introcuced on the pitch purley on their tenacity and fightin spirit, and the current Iraqi team seem to be physicaly and mentaly ready for the tournament and if they added their fighting spirit to the mix, I think that should be enough to put them on top.

22. Ferdosi

Ferdosi Member

Oct 6, 2004
    North Korea, and Iraq will top this group. Can't expect more from a video analyst.

23. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    lol :D
    I actually think we will win this whole thing :D:D

24. Iranfreedomfighter

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Goals from blunders and a goal disallowed for Kuwait that would have changed the game. See nothing is guaranteed. An early goal against Iraq could change everything and give the team confidence. It's only 6 games from here to the whole title. I have not seen a consistent Asian team ever. Iran-Iraq is a derby. Iran- North Korea is probably going to be a 0-0 or 1-0 in either team's direction. By UAE, I hope we are qualified but if we are not we'll play to get the necessary points. Remember we've only conceded one goal to them in the last 10 years. Iran can do it. We will worry about next round when it comes. We aren't the only team with issues so we have a chance to win. Every team that is legitimate has a 15% chance of winning if you get to the next round if set equally regardless of who you are

25. Irakien

Irakien Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    UAE and North Korea will advance. :D