Article: Bradley in Line to be the next USA captain

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by deuteronomy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm no he was talking about Parkhurst, Lichaj and Spector not providing a challenge to relegate Cherundolo to the bench. However, Chandler are above those 3 players and will challenge Cherundolo for the starting RB spot.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well this should turn into a f_ ing train wreck....:)

3. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    dolo healthy plays until he's not healty or playins himself onto the bench

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this season has been one of his lesser with hannover. should be interesting to see how it goes for him but I dont think hannover could let him go. they love him too much.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to HoustonHoya for posting the link in the Yanks Abroad Bradley thread:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/vereine/578631/artikel_verlaesst-moritz-schalke-schon-im-winter.html

The text says that Jones wants to resign in Germany after his contract expires in 2014. Hopefully play for Schalke for a couple more years. Then finish by playing in the US.

Then, there is this interesting bit:
    Große Pläne hat er auch für die US-Nationalmannschaft: Erst die WM 2014, dann vielleicht Kapitän.

"He also has big plans for the US National Team: First the 2014 World Cup, then perhaps Captain."
    :D

6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin, this article is from March 3. Here is a newer one from May 9.
    http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1614...nes-hints-at-ending-his-playing-career-in-mls

Jones and his family were looking at houses in LA and considering a move there and possibly playing with the Galaxy. Of course, who knows, perhaps he is merely posturing for another big contract with Schalke.

Mr Martin repped this.
  7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch on the date, which I had not checked.

Still MB has at least one rival for the Captain's band post-2014. ;)

8. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Rule of thumb is who has the most caps at that time......

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear I posted that info in the YA Jermaine Jones thread not the MB thread!:)

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The article I posted was published yesterday Dec, 3, 2012. You may be confused by the dd-mm-yy format that is somewhat favored in Europe.

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clarification . . .

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Jones is a wild card. He may not make it to 2018 at 36, but he has special reason to push on after 2014 unlike his US contemporaries in age.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Along with Dempsey, Cherundolo, and Howard, Bradley has been the most consistent player over the past 3 years. He's driven himself to improve his game and circumstances over the years when he could have like other players simply settled. His stamina and youth should see him as a 90 minute player throughout the cycle which you want in a captain. The multilingualism can't hurt when dealing with referees and opposition either. Admire the player; the texas cheerleader mom schtick among his fan base are unfortunately a drag on the conversation.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, exactly.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Per Ives' conversation with Bocanegra, Bocanegra is close to his return and might get in a game or two before the winter break. But more importantly for our purposes here ...

biff says:
    December 6, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Good story, but — ha-ha — would be interesting to know whether or not Boca mentioned anything to writer about last week’s SBI story calling for Boca to be dethroned as captain to make room for Michael Bradley. In any case, kudos to Boca for being a gentleman and talking to the writer anyway (and, want to make clear, I am not criticizing the MB captain piece, I like it when a commentator takes a stand). But some national team captains might have burned the bridge after an article like that.
    • [​IMG]Ives Galarcep says:
      December 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM
      I’m pretty sure Bocanegra has enough respect for Bradley to have seen the merit in that piece, and I really don’t think players see the captaincy the way you see it, as if it’s some sort of birthright they never want to give up. In fact, we talked about Michael at one point and he couldn’t say enough about how much he has grown as a player in the past two years. I do agree that there might be some captains who might have taken that piece as an insult, but not many, and no Bocanegra.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/2012/12/bocanega-close-to-returning-from-hamstring-injury.html

deuteronomy repped this.
  16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If we go by caps, next inline is actually Dempsey.... if Donovan doesn't come back. After that is Bradley (all of this based on Wiki' caps), Cherundolo, and then Howard....

17. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    We don't, but thanks for the information.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey! That's how most national team's pick their captains.... just sayin'...

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most national teams not ,we are .

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ain't even true, surprised he continues to suggest it is . . . .

21. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley would be a good captain, I believe. I don't think Jones would be a good captain, although that is an assumption on my part. For some reason, I think he has some toxicity in the locker room.
    Overall, captains are chosen for their ability to lead the team - through their play on the field and their demeanor at all times off the field. Their internal drive for the USMNT to succeed is a burning flame.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  22. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This poster and others like him, that have this same poor form I call the JONES HATERS. You so called fans of our USMNT that take every chance to hate on Jones forced me out of lurking in the shadows to make sign up for the specific purpose of holding you accountable for the crapola you spew. Do you eat with the same mouth from which you dispense such garbage?

Please elaborate on "for some reason", or just say you do not like the man. Why else would you toss out such a baseless accusation when there is not so much as a hint of what you are alluding too. Either for club or country. He is an international midfielder on a top flight team. At his age if he were locker room toxic we would all know about it.

I am not real football mind or anything but I know enough to know real talent when I see it. I also like MB, he replaced LD as my favorite men's team player, but I cannot indict Jones out of my affection for Bradley as a player. Either way a case could be made for either player.

I do not feel compelled to snap at people with whom I may disagree, but this bs on BS about Jones is absurd and your post was the straw that put me over the top. I mostly just laugh at the ignorance of people who leave him out of the starting line-up for WCQ's and their lack of football or klinsi savvy. However none of them ever call him a cancer or "toxic."

sXeWesley and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones doesn't play as well for the USMNT as he does for his club. Also, he loses his head,. Bradley and him don't make a very good pairing IMO. He is a good player but just hasn't performed the same as he does for Schalke. There is no evidence that the USMNT locker room is bad because of Jones.

24. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I've seen, in person, Jones on the USMNT. He's already a bit more of a captain than Boca. He's quite vocal and calls people to where they need to be quite often. Say what you will about the guys play for the national team but he's one of the few players on our team who possesses the intangibles.

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Welcome! Many thanks to those haters who finally teased you out of the shadows. Love "the straw that put me over the top." You've set the bar pretty high for yourself.