Arsenal on TV: 2013-14 U.S. only

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Epikoinos, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annnnnnd, we're back for another season of this. I admit that I slacked way too often last season, and I will try not to let it happen again. A few ground rules to go over first

1) I usually don't include online listings/streams/etc., but I will mention them once in a while.
    2) I don't include future Champions League/FA Cup/Capital One Cup matches until Arsenal have officially booked their spot in the game
    3) I almost certainly will screw up the times on some games because of Daylight Savings Time/British Summer Time and those starting/ending
    4) Please read the WORDS IN BOLD ALL CAPS AT THE TOP OF THE LISTINGS. In case you don't, it says all listings are subject to change. Along those same lines ...
    5) I don't work for a TV network or have any inside sources, I just scour the Internet to compile these listings. Sometimes networks change their matches. Sometimes networks change games and don't tell anyone. And, I know this will shock you, sometimes I make mistakes. When I make them, feel free to point them out and I'll fix them.

All right, on to the listings.

ALL SCHEDULES ARE ALWAYS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
    All times Eastern
    (First-run showings in bold)

(Matches from past seasons in italics)

NBC Sports Network
    Saturday, Aug. 24: Fulham vs. Arsenal, 7:45 a.m. LIVE
    Sunday, Sept. 1: Arsenal vs. Tottenham, 11 a.m. LIVE
    Sunday, Oct. 6: West Brom vs. Arsenal, 11 a.m. LIVE
    Saturday, Oct. 26: Crystal Palace vs. Arsenal, 7:45 a.m. LIVE
    Sunday, Nov. 10: Manchester United vs. Arsenal, 11:10 a.m. LIVE

CNBC
    Sunday, Sept. 22: Arsenal vs. Stoke City, 8:30 a.m. LIVE

NBC
    Saturday, Sept. 28: Swansea City vs. Arsenal, 12:30 p.m. LIVE

Telemundo
    Sunday, Nov. 10: Manchester United vs. Arsenal, 11:10 a.m. LIVE

mun2
    Saturday, Aug. 24: Fulham vs. Arsenal, 7:45 a.m. LIVE
    Sunday, Sept. 1: Arsenal vs. Tottenham, 11 a.m. LIVE
    Sunday, Sept. 22: Arsenal vs. Stoke City, 8:30 a.m. LIVE

NBC Premier League Extra Time/TV Anywhere
    Saturday, Aug. 17: Arsenal vs. Aston Villa, 10 a.m. LIVE
    Saturday, Sept. 14: Sunderland vs. Arsenal, 10 a.m. LIVE
    Saturday, Oct. 19: Arsenal vs. Norwich City, 10 a.m. LIVE
    Saturday, Nov. 23: Arsenal vs. Southampton, 10 a.m. LIVE
    Saturday, Nov. 30: Cardiff City vs. Arsenal, 10 a.m. LIVE

Fox Soccer Channel
    Sunday, Aug. 11: Arsenal vs. Manchester United (Community Shield, year not listed), 11:30 a.m.

Fox Soccer Plus
    Thursday, Aug. 8: Arsenal 1, Bayern Munich 3 (20012-13 CL R16 L1), 9 a.m.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, this season is going to be a little bit of a learning curve for all us old Fox Soccer junkies.

Like what is "mun2"? Will Telemundo use english announcers? Is NBC PL Extra free?

Thanks Epi for giving it a good go this season. Your work is always much appreciated by this fan!

3. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Mun2 is Telemundo's 2nd channel. Games on both of those will be in spanish, but they'll be shown elsewhere in English.

PL Extra Time is included on AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, DISH, Suddenlink, and Verizon.

4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Is the emirates cup going to be televised in the US?

5. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Thought I read that ESPN was covering it both here and in the UK

6. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Might just be on ESPN Deportes and WatchESPN

worldsoccertalk.com/2013/07/17/arsenal-and-man-city-fans-espn-to-televise-emirates-cup-audi-cup-on-us-tv/

crazy150 repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I see now what you're saying. Everything listed under Telemundo & Mun2 are also on the english language channels.

PL Extra Time does that exist/work now? I don't see an iPhone app for it like there is for Watch ESPN. Is it just a website?

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an aside... I called up Cablevision today to ask if Fox Sports 1 will be carried on their standard packages (like Speed was before) but of course they were ignorant about anything related to FS1.

Cablevision's been raising prices frequently so I'm hoping to offset that by dropping the extra Sports Pak and all I'll lose is GolTV (I rarely watched) & FSP (which I suspect will become near useless for me as long as I get NBCSN & FS1).

9. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    The app is 'NBC Sports Live Extra'. It worked okay during the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

PL Extra Time is on TV. It's a series of sub-channels, like MLB Extra Innings or NHL Center Ice. But it won't cost extra like those packages, NBC offered it free to any providers who carry NBCSN.

10. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm anxious to see how this works. So for those of us with a participating cable co, we'll get every match live all year, right? You'll have the flagship matches on NBC and NBCS, and then the rest will be on those overflow channels?

I wonder what feed they'll be picking up too...

Also, I would expect a few more Arsenal games to be picked up. August 17th seems like a good bet for NBCSN. I'm not entirely sure what role CNBC will play here either. It's going to take a few weeks to get used to.

11. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Yes, if you have any of those providers you'll have every game on TV somewhere, in English.

The feed for marquee games, so 12:30 Sat, late game Sun, and Mon will be Arlo White along side one of Lee Dixon or Graeme Le Saux. The other games will use the TWI 'world' feed.

And yeah, you can bet on them being selected for quite a few 10a Saturday slots. I think they'll only use CNBC for cases when NBCSN is showing something else, F1 and the Olympics really being the only chances that would happen.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised (shocked?) to find that my provider (Cablevision) is on board for PL Extra Time. I wonder what channels it will be on, or if they will tie it to the very Sports Pak that I'm trying to eliminate to save $'s against their relentless price hikes. :mad:

http://www.multichannel.com/distrib...hoc-channel-lineup-premier-league-kickoff/144

p.s. If this PL Extra Time thing works and is widely available to most/all providers, it could be a huge improvement, even on the impressive coverage Fox used to provide! We shall see.

13. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago

[​IMG]

Fox coverage was pretty brutal. $15 a month for maybe the 2 games I'm gonna need it for. Very little in the way of highlights. Awful studio hosts. And for me not in HD, and while that's a Comcast problem too I have to put a little of that on Fox for not being able to come to an agreement on that. Sure, maybe it was impressive compared to what was available 10 years ago, but it was not where it should have been in the 2010's.

This is going to blow them out of the ********ing water!

And it won't be part of your sports pack, it's free. I'm sure they'll use the same subchannels that Extra Innings, Center Ice, Direct Kick, etc would run on.

WoodDraw and HomeatHighbury repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope you're right about it blowing them out of the water. I'm an honorary citizen of Missouri so I'll reserve judgment.

Jeez I thought my cable provider Cablevision was rip-off but yours Comcast seems much worse. I pay $0 extra for FSC. I pay $7/mo for Sports Pak which got me FSP, GolTV, etc. All my channels are HD.

Fox's coverage was never ever a significant cost to me, compared to the value it provided. Namely to allow me to watch Arsenal nearly every single Arsenal league match in my living room in HD, usually live.

That's 30 maybe more matches... don't know how you figure 2 but maybe you should be following your team more. ;)

And as for the match hosts, I thought Fox did it right... to use the England-based commentators as packaged by the league. I'll take Martin Tyler, Jon Champion, et al over Arlo White every day of the week. No contest.

Note that I'm NOT talking in any way about the nightly Fox Soccer News/Report show. That's an entirely separate issue, where the Canadian production is certainly sub-par. But thankfully that show did NOT define Fox's coverage of the EPL... the matches and the weekly PL Review Show did that for me.

15. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago

Sorry, I meant to specify that was just FS+. I would guess they had about 2 a month there tops, the rest on FS or ESPN2.
    Actually, FS+ wasn't even offered by Comcast, but I thought it was $15 everywhere. Just getting it in your sports pack is a great deal. My sports pack is $8 a month, which I get great value out of for the amount of FS, MLB Network, and NHL Network I watch.

I was talking about the studio hosts...the pre/half/postgame crews. Getting Rob Stone was a pretty good get from the guy they had before him, can't think of his name, but Warren Barton is brutal.

16. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few additions/updates ...

* To clarify the listings I posted, all of the games listed as "NBC Premier League Extra Time/TV Anywhere" could be shown on NBC Sports Network or mun2. If they are not selected for one of those two channels, then they will be included in Premier League Extra Time.

* As far as I can find, the Emirates Cup matches will only be available on ESPN3/WatchESPN. (I know World Soccer Talk lists them as being on ESPN Deportes, too, but they don't show up on the Deportes schedule on the ESPN International website.)

* NBC Sports Network will show a replay of last season's Arsenal-Newcastle match at 6am on Saturday, August 10. Remember that one?

17. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Not 100% on this, but I don't think a game being on Mun2 would keep it off PL Extra Time from what I've seen. Games will be available in English somewhere, their availability on a Spanish channel won't change that.

18. dwedan

dwedan Member

May 14, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Arsenal related but do any Directv subscribes have Goltv still? It was dropped from the Sports Pack last year but I'm still interested in picking up the channel.

19. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mun2 is an odd channel. They do English and Spanish programming, and they've aired a US-Mexico game in the past in English. I wonder if we'll get SAP from them at least?

Also, count me among the ones that hated Fox. FSP cost $15 a month for at most a game here and there. No free streaming. And that's without getting into the awful people they employed. Good riddance. I will miss ESPN though - I thought they always did a good job with production.

20. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    http://fangsbites.com/2013/07/nbc-u...-its-2013-14-english-premier-league-schedule/

Games.PNG

57+10+2+61 = 130 -- so yeah, all games in English, Telemundo and mun2 with 27 games also in Spanish

21. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are insane pics of the NYC subway.

If anyone sees a train plastered with "Pick Arsenal" then it belongs in the "Arsenal are mainstream in USA" thread.

23. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would refuse to sit in a Tottenham subway seat.

deaner1971 repped this.
  24. jollygrunt

jollygrunt Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Republic of Texas
    My area is pretty much a Time Warner Cable monopoly. I'll be lucky if they deign to add Premiere League Extra or even Fox Sports 1 before the start of the season. They've even balked at adding the Longhorn Network in Texas for crying out loud. :mad: Also, Mun2 is an SD only channel in my area.:cry: First world problems, but still.

25. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a shame that Bobby McMahon will be left behind. He's one of the few analysts i respect.