The Aron Johannsson Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USvsIRELAND, Apr 14, 2013.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If they don't date him due to that they are not worth his time anyway. :p

2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sometimes we forget that Beasley isn't a constant starter for Puebla at LB either.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he is referring too the pay USSF pays players for every day of call ups, its actually substantial and maybe more then what formerly bankrupt nation of Iceland's federation can afford.

A few years ago it was just under $500K for those who got all the call ups for the year.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until he becomes a national hero by becoming the first Icelandic to score in the World Cup.(maybe play in one)

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Duh, Gorgonzalez.

6. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. US Soccer treats the players as good or better than anyone in the world.

They also set up incredible WC bonuses should the US spring a miracle. In 2010 US Soccer, via the CBA, put together the largest bonus structure in WC history.
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com...-pot-the-biggest-in-world-cup-history-020603/

Geneva repped this.
  7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Since Johannson only played in 5 games for 137 minutes all as subs I don't think they partnered together lots of times. In fact I would think some of those late game subs came at the expense of Jozy.

LouisZ and MLSFan123 repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't care how hot the women are in Iceland they have a population the size of Anchorage. There are millions upon millions hotter over here.
    Also
    a) He looks like Kevin Bacon
    b) He makes lots of money
    c) He has an accent
    d) He's not anybody's second cousin over here.
    The honeys will be crawling all over him.

m vann repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sponsorship? Advertising income?

Please, Iceland! This is about the glory.

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm guessing the US-Iceland friendly at Rio Tinto to draw on all the Icelandic ex-pats in Utah County probably isn't happening anytime soon...

11. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whut? But I always thought Jermaine Jones was a Muenster in midfield. Hurr hurr hurr.

But completing this nutritious breakfast, we can assume, with Bacon and Brooks, that Costa Rica is toast, and Mexico is in a real jam.

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Holy shit you're right!
    B) Not Kevin Bacon money, though
    C) Not much of one. Have you heard him speak? I was kind of surprised. Very understandable and correctly used English. Maybe better than some of the GerAmericans in our pool.
    D) Ummm hello --- he's from Alabama. I don't care if he's Icelandic. There's always a chance you could be your uncle's - brother's - mother's - cousin's child once removed. :D
    (Although I'm originally from KY I have no business speaking on that matter)

Justin Z repped this.
  13. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I've only seen three AZ Games all year (Thank you internet), and two (Draw against Nijmegen and a win over Zwolle) times Aron played with Jozy.

So, honestly, I don't know if it was "Lots of times". So I am wrong. But they have partnered in games I have seen.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    they could have partnered a lot in practice though! :p

15. Luis Suarez

Luis Suarez Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's a video of some of his goals this past year. Although, I haven't really been following him too closely, what I gather from some of the videos I've seen him in, the kid has great movement off the ball, has a rocket of a shot (isn't afraid to shoot from outside of the box), and has an extremely quick release when he pulls the trigger. He seems to be a real stud

16. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The obvious advantages of playing for the US notwithstanding, I'm still kinda shocked he filed his switch "site unseen."

17. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I think he's hoping to get called in for the Bosnia friendly so he can show that he he's good enough to be in consideration for Brazil.

18. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed,
    Aron's Mom

Bluecat82, Friedel'sAccent and rlrcpa repped this.
  19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Icelandic FA, in their whacky press release, mentioned something to the effect of he had no connection to soccer in the USA. Did they not do their homework and realized he played for a season at the USSF's Development Academy?? Call me crazy but that's just another connection aside from being born in the US!! :D

COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a translation of the article, as 99.999999% of this forum doesn't speak Icelandic?

21. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here you go......​

Statement from KSÍ regarding Aron Jóhannsson

Aron Jóhannsson is an Icelander born in the USA in 1990 where he lived in the first years of his life. Aron’s parents are Icelandic. Aron got his soccer education under the KSÍ umbrella, with Fjölnir, where he played all the junior years (with a short stay with Breiðablik) and then played for their full team, before joining AGF in Denmark on September 1st 2010.
    Aron Jóhannsson played 10 international matches for Iceland U21 in 2011 and 2012. Of these 10 games 8 of them were in UEFA competitions and Aron was a starter in each of them.
    FIFA allows players to changes national sides once if they fulfill certain criteria, even if they have played with junior national sides, as long as they have not played an official A team match. One of the conditions allows players to switch to a country they were born in if they wish to represent it.
    Aron has for the past year been unable to answer a call-up to the Iceland National Team from the national coach due to injuries. During that same time, news filtered through that the US Men National Team coach was interested in the player. Aron has no link to soccer in the USA at all.
    Yesterday a statement from Aron was published where he expressed his desire to play for the USMNT. The only thing that has been pointed out to KSÍ from an interested party, is that his income potential, as a USA player, is much greater, both in the form of grants and sponsorship, than if he were an Iceland player. It is simply so that an Iceland National team member must play for land and country and for that they get honor and glory.
    It is the utmost wish of KSÍ that Aron turns back on his ideas to change national teams. Aron is an Icelander through and through who we need in the tough international competitions. Aron has already played 10 U21 matches for Iceland and his future belongs there. Hopefully the public and media will respond and challenge Aron to continue competing for Iceland. KSÍ has already requested for Aron to participate in the next national team match vs. the Faroe Islands on August 14th.
    There is no logic behind Aron relinquishing his Icelandic soccer identity.
    Iceland Football Association

Ceres, Mr Martin and Namdynamo repped this.
  22. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "There is no logic behind Aron relinquishing his Icelandic soccer identity." Except for the act the USA will most likely be in the world cup and can play a major part for the USMNT.

23. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already ahead of Danny Willams and Chandler in the English department. Long way to go to catch Mix "Somehow from SoCal" Diskerud.

24. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News Flash to Iceland:

Auto World Cup Spot + US Citizenship by Birth = Representing the USA and Bye-Bye Iceland

Easy decision and a no-brainer for Johannsson.