Aron Jóhannsson in Denmark

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect that, but the end result of that thinking is an international career consisting entirely of doomed qualifying efforts & friendlies. Yes he's Icelandic, but he's also American. I hope he embraces his Americanness & gets to showcase the talents we're seeing on the sport's biggest stage. Otherwise, I wish him well, may he become the Pele of qualifying.

2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Maybe some people in this world want to play for the country they feel most affection for and dont play international soccer just based on the idea that they will get to go to a WC.

3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This SHOULD be true. But we have no clue how the player in question feels about his nationality so we shouldn't assume anything.
    All we know is he is "open to playing for the U.S." That doesn't tell us much at all.

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be made clear soon...

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Soons more ambigious than anything to really. Iceland won't go to the WC ever but perhaps to the next few Euro as they now have 24 teams. Then again as 1 poster pointed out, his connection to us is just his birth. I would imagine he feels very Icelandic with playing in Denmark, he probably feels even more Icelandic than American for sure

6. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    It's still a longshot by far, but Iceland's chance of reaching a WC is greater than ever. Got extremely lucky in the draw with Norway, Slovenia and Switzerland as the top seeds in their group. Strong u-21 class breaking through and some reliable older players. 2-0 win over Norway in the first game. Now or never.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Good question: where is Ceres?

This thread could really do with the kind of breakdown he could give on the player.

8. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, and as I said, I understand and respect that point of view. May he have fun kicking the ball around for Iceland if that's his choice.

9. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold your breath.

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I didn't know that Aron Jóhannsson was born in the USA... but I can tell you that when he was signed by AGF at the age of 19 in the summer of 2010, he was mainly regarded to be a winger. Later AGF found it better using him as a striker, hoping that he one day would be the one to take over from AGFs "Inzaghi" Peter Graulund, when he chose to retire.... but it took some time for Aron Jóhannsson to adapt. He works very hard in the games and at training... actually, he train a good deal more, when the other players have gone home, so he is the kind of player that really throw in that extra work to keep improving, so he one day can make it to the big leagues.... and that may be sooner than we expect. According to Dutch voetbalzone.nl, Ajax were interested in signing him this summer , before he made his hat-trick, but chose to pick up Dutch Danny Hoesen instead...

manoa, derek750, CenterLine and 7 others repped this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Thanks, Ceres.

So you see his future at the center forward role and not moving back to the wing?

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to know the name of the next great saviour of the USMNT.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    As for the NT, you have to be quick about it, now that he is Danish Superliga topscorer, it wont be long before he is called up for Iceland... the only reason it didn't happen for the match against Norway, is probably because he so far has been fairly inexperienced in compare with the strikers he is up against... and then he had not made his hat-trick at that point... Of course a striker like Kolbeinn Sigþórsson (Ajax) is still ahead of him, Alfreð Finnbogason has more NT experience and has also done well for Heerenveen this season.... Gunnar Heidar Thorvaldsson was on the other hand a huge flop in Denmark, but is probably still being picked because of his age, because they do need some experience in the team.... you could also argue about Björn Bergmann Sigurðarson, but I guess they are giving him a run, because he was signed by Wolverhampton.... and again, having played only one season in the Superliga, I guess they were thinking that Aron Jóhannsson need some more time on the U21 NT, but that was before he suddenly scored a hat-trick and became Superliga topscorer...

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If you look closer at the AGF squad, then Aron Jóhannsson is now 1st pick out of 7 strikers, that also include Peter Graulund, Søren Larsen, Morten Moldskred, Mate Vatsadze, Davit Devdariani and Davit Skhirtladze ... so this is where he stands right now... So AGF are quite clearly not moving him back to the wing, though they have used him there in case of injuries.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he scored 4 times in that game?

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, but the last one was a penalty...

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Have any of Johannsson's goals this season come from headers?

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems that most of his goals have been resent, nevertheless, he looks to be a good prospect, is the player named "Petersen" have any American connection he seems to be already a gem of a player.

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Did you know ? ... that Aron Jóhannsson also has a few nicknames ... 'Footloose' or 'Aron Bacon' :

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No... but he had a header that struck the top bar in the last match against Silkeborg :
    Highlights from the Silkeborg match (2½ ;) goals by Aron + a header on the top bar) :

Highlights from the match in Horsens (all 4 AGF goals + 1 huge miss/blunder by Aron) :

Highlights from the Brøndby game (1 goal by Aron ) :

Scotty and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
    "Johannsson said he was happy playing with Iceland but should the United States national team call, he realizes that the offer could simply be too good to pass up.
    'To tell the truth, I’ve never really thought about playing for the United States national team,' Johannsson said. 'I’ve lived in Iceland almost my whole life. I’ve always had it as a goal to play for the Icelandic national team. But if Jurgen Klinsmann calls me and says he wants me to play for the United States, then it would be pretty hard to say no. '"

UHHHHHHHH

23. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cap him now!!!

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could be a good understudy for Gomez and soon after take his place. The kid seems to have a good set of wheels.

25. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Sounds like he wants to play for the usa. Will JK dear the call up before its too late?