Aron Jóhannsson in Denmark

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He instantly becomes the only good thing soccer-related about this damn state.
    Edit: I'm studying at the University of Alabama. Not too many soccer fans here.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the atmosphere at the US-Argentina game at the 1996 Olympics was great. One of the best American soccer crowds I've ever been part of for a US game. Not as soccer savvy as the crowds these days, but that one had some serious energy.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where'd they all go (the fans)?

4. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta
    B'ham is a good spot for multiple major Southern cities namely Atlanta and Nashville, definitely making those games opportunities for multiple southern locales to congregate (Nashville fills that function now).

5. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea, but I've been to Birmingham three times to watch the US national team (or youth team) and each time was very good. The last time was WCQ against Guatemala in 2005, I think.

6. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there was another dude who played in the 2nd div. in Denmark who was also from Alabama. Can't remember the name but he was referred to as having a "brazilian flair" to his Game. Also, where is Ceres? Another Yank at Aarhus!

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    CenterLine, I believe you're talking about Floyd Franks. He played at Blokhus, current club to another Yank (but not, to the best of my knowledge, another Alabaman).

CenterLine repped this.
  8. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you are right DMN, I only remembered Franks & his nickname was Frankinho. LOL. I googled "Franks alabama soccer" & came up with nothing. Thanks!

9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    hey, Alabama A&M barely lost to Connecticut in OT in the 1981 final of the Men's
    NCAA Championship! That has got to count for something, right?

Of course, that team had all Nigerians.

The Men's title game has become a joke in recent years: 3 1-0 scores and a 0-0 score
    in the last 4 games.

10. Lothar

Lothar Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Tuscaloosa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of at least two... ;)

Ironkick14 repped this.
  11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Floyd Franks was raised in Alabama. Not sure if he was born here but I claim him! It's just Floyd, Michael Ritch(ex-Crew) & Chandler Hoffman. That's all we have from a soccer perspective.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Apparently he mastered his soccer skills using the tried and true Banjo On His Knee technique.

Winoman repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You need to broaden your horizons and learn some American soccer history.

UAB is a pretty good D-I program that boasts several ex-players in the MLS ranks, including Dejan Jakovic of DC and Babayele Sodade of the Sounders.

Alabama A&M was once one of the top programs in college soccer. They won a pair of DII national titles and made the finals in D-I. Among their former players are ex national team and MLS player Jean Harbor, who was the leading scorer in second division American soccer history when MLS started.
    Mobile is traditionally a strong NAIA program and has produced some pro players as well. Same with Auburn-Montgomery.

That's on top of the MLS players from Alabama already mentioned in this thread.

On the woman's side, Cat Reddick Whitehill grew up in Alabama and I'm pretty sure Mia Hamm was born there, though she moved around a lot as a kid because her dad was in the military.

And, of course, Alabama hosted last year's College Cup and will do so again this year.

14. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know all that. My post was half sarcastic and came from frustration that im not meeting as many soccer fans here as I did all the time in Chicago.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, but there's all that hot SEC ass.

Like is about trade-offs. ;)

ImaPuppy and Ironkick14 repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing redneck.

:ROFLMAO:

17. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true.

18. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You left out the last line:

I am incredibly eager to never represent my country in a major international tournament!

Perhaps someday I, too, can taste the glory of finishing a qualifying group last behind Scotland and Macedonia...

19. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this Aron Johannson kid huh?

20. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    But the US isn't his country. He was raised in Iceland to Scandinavian parents, he speaks Icelandic, he received his footballing education in Iceland. The only connection he has to the US as far as I can see is that he was born there.

21. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He spent 3 years here before moving to Iceland, and then came back for part of his high school years. Not an incredibly strong connection, but Boyd didn't have one either and he may be the player most excited and enthusiastic to put on the USMNT jersey every time.

22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's not enough?

23. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's a citizen then it's his country as well. He might identify more with Iceland but that doesn't mean he doesn't identify with America either.

24. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it when some of you guys break into the minds of these kids and decide they're not qualified americans for our national team. Keep it up your insights are so vital.