Arizona Expansion Franchise

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by monsoon soccer, Dec 13, 2009.

1. monsoon soccer

monsoon soccer New Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Just asking if you are interested in joining a mailing list for a potential franchise in Phoenix?

If so please respond here with a comment and the number of potential season tickets you would be interested in and I will log your email address to keep you informed of any news over the next several weeks. Unlike with Pachuca and that attempt, this effort is being done in a much quieter manner. However, I would like to present the league with a formal listing of potential supporters.

Expect a Phoenix area home field and a ticket price of $10 for a reserved seat. At this time, no major Mexican club is affiliated with us and no such ownership proposal is being considered.

I am not asking for any deposits or money at this time, strictly looking to complete a proposal with comments regarding excitement for a Phoenix area franchise.

Best regards

Stuart Starky

2. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    e.g., it is being posted on internet message boards. LOL!

Sorry, I just found that funny. Good luck with your enterprise in the Southwest. Would love to see NASL expand there in due time.

3. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where could they play without the fans burning to death in the stands?

4. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yeah, if the schedule plays out through the summer, they would have to play night games like how ASU plays evening games especially during the first part of the season.

5. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A smallish (15K) indoor stadium with field turf would seem a likely venue. Do any exist?

6. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Evening kickoffs would be fine. My PDL team played all through the summer, even on days with daytime temperatures of 90-100 degrees, but by the evening it was a pleasant 70/75... nice balmy evenings under the lights. Not an issue.

A few years ago, my old PDL team played a Saturday afternoon game, 3pm kickoff, when the temp in the San Fernando Valley at kickoff was 106 degrees. They managed it, though...

7. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [​IMG]
    A noon time kickoff would give them a hellish home field advantage especially when Edmonton shows up in 2011.

8. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have lived here since 1995. No time in the summer is it ever even high 80's by early evening. Heck, it is often still in the 90's when i am working night shift.:p

That might be like that in northern AZ in the mountain area but certainly not down here in the central valley anywhere near Phoenix.

9. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, it was against your guys that we had the 106 degree game. If you know Paul Aigbogun, ask him if he remembers what the field temp was :D

10. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say the NASL takes MLS's new approach of investing in areas of preexisting support or growth in support. This would mean is Arizona soccer fans could get a strong central fanbase to build around, the NASL would then come.

i.e. Plant the seeds where the lies fertile ground, avoid weed (Super Eurosnobs) filled areas and barren soil (soccer haters)

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats the truth. It never gets below 90 unless its 4am. If a team wants to play here, they'll need something indoors. The only viable option is playing at UoP and paying ridiculous air conditioning bills to make it happen. Atmosphere = 0.

13. lantzkd

lantzkd New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Laveen, AZ
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are! We just haven't found anyone willing to take over development of our website. Kind of embarrassing I know.

Stu, I'M IN. PUT ME DOWN FOR A SEASON TICKET PACKAGE!! :D

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think that Phoenix pro soccer fans would be better off focusing on a NASL team than MLS at this point. Use the AC St Louis model (which is based on the Whitecaps/Timbers). Build a strong minor league team and show MLS what they are missing.

15. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a mac account, I think its like $100/year, with an email account, webpage storage, and other stuff. I made this in an hour: http://web.me.com/njndirish/Classis_Celtica/Home.html

16. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 per seat? Sure, I'd commit to season tickets.

But honestly, it would be more of a donation. I'm not sure I would sit in 100+ weather in an outdoor stadium even if it were a night game.

17. gantry

gantry Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very curious to know more details.

I've visited the websites:
    http://www.phoenixmonsoon.info/Home.html
    http://www.monsoonmaniac.com/

but they lack details.

Who is the owner? Who is the coach? Where are the players coming from?

The websites imply that there is no stadium yet. I find that hard to believe that the USL or NASL would sanction a franchise without a contractual agreement with a stadium.

The websites imply that the stadium will be an outdoor stadium at first then the City of Phoenix will take over the dog track and build a stadium that will be the home of the Phoenix Monsoon. This is very surprising when they just sold the state capital building to raise revenue for the state.

Will this new stadium be an indoor, climate controlled, natural turf stadium? What will be the seating capacity?

The websites imply that it is a done deal. With only a year away, why is the USL/NASL not announcing this expansion team.

With Monsoon soccer starting in spring of 2011, it seems that this is a very short time to completely staff up.

Where can we get more details?

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    The AC St. Louis model? The one where the owner goes belly up in the first part of the season, and the team folds at season's end, throwing the fans under the bus?

Don't think so.

Agree with you, though, on going for a NASL team; they just need to wait until there enough western teams to make up a full division (Sacramento, PHX, Vegas, SD, maybe?).

1 person likes this.
  19. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude! Not cool. The majority shareholders went belly up, but it had nothing to do with the team, they lost their money back in London. And, you can't say the team is folding at the end of the season. It might, but it's not definite. So building off the AC model is a wise decision. Predicting the future is another thing.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I hate to break it to you, but right now the "AC model" means basically going belly up not even halfway through the first season.

It's something I would try to avoid.

And I feel sorry for all the ACSTL fans out there, as well.

1 person likes this.
  21. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But again, it has nothing to do with their model. Imagine trusting two very wealthy brothers with your company and then all of a sudden they lose their money back home, and it was not because of the team. Reports actually say they were robbed, kind of a Madoff type thing. If that wouldn't have happened, everything with the team would be A-okay. why is this so hard to understand?

22. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    It doesn't matter why; what matters is that it's happening (and I do hope the team can find new ownership and survive). To start out with a lot of bravado, and then fall flat on your face, is what's not cool, whatever the reason.

Back to the original point, the idea of using a successful D-2 team as a gateway into MLS is not a bad idea, but shouldn't be the be-all, end-all. MLS teams formed "ex nihilo" seem to be doing well too.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;) I said use the AC St Louis model months ago, before all their problems started. The premise is still accurate, Phoenix isn't getting a MLS team any time soon, so concentrate on Div2 and make the MLS want you. I guess I should have said Montreal or Portland.

As for this new Phoenix Monsoon/Maniacs, doing a little Domain Searching revealed that our buddy Stu Starky is behind it. I am not sure what its all about, sorta sounds like a regional attempt at PDL or something with the goal to be NASL/USL Pro in the future. Best of luck!

24. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have seen the term "AC model" tossed about. Was wondering if someone could define what they mean with that. To me, the only thing different in their model compared to most of the teams at this level was that they had a women's team in the WPS and set up a complete youth setup with the two biggest youth clubs in the area merged and fell under them. Other then the typical franchise model, don't see anything different or special. Montreal on the other hand as a non profit with goverment sponsorship is a much different model. And the Miami / Traffic model of using the team as a way to identify and showcase players to sell, is also a different type of model.

25. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are all the same model in the sense of having a single organization with multiple teams in different levels (pro, women, youth, etc) and an academy, and (presumably) ambitions to get into MLS at some point. Traffic may not currently have multiple teams but this will change once their academy is set up; same applies to the Rowdies.

I don't know why one would call it the "AC St. Louis" model though, since Vancouver Whitecaps (and others) have been doing this for quite a while now.

The money side of the organization is a different matter; Vancouver and Montreal have billionaire ownership that St. Louis lacks. Profit or non-profit setup is really beside the point for most matters: either way you still have to balance the books and meet payroll. I imagine in the case of Montreal, non-profit status was helpful in a private-public partnership with the Quebec government.