Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Blah, do not really need him. I would still like Pipita/Lisandro over Maxi Lopez. I hardly recall him at his days at River(Maybe some of the River supporters can shed some light on him) he was a failure at Barcelona. Then went to Russia then back to Spain,Brazil, then Italy.I do not know, seems more like a journeyman to me then anything else. But he is 26 going on 27, so he is Carlitos age. I do not get how the Italians are so fine with this, it makes zero sense. I would gladly give up Maxi Lopez, I honestly can care less about him. If he desires to play for the Italians, then so be it. He plays on a team that the DT is Argentino, team is packed with Argentino's, I wonder how they will look at it. I can never see Maxi Lopez as a regular starter for us, or even on the bench.

2. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who??!! haha, just kidding. Yeah, well best of luck to them. At least Basanta is being honest and knows his chances are slim to none. I do not watch many Mexican Primera, so I do not know how he plays. Not sure if Batista does the same, I am dam sure he does not watch the games in Brazil, which makes me believe he does not watch anything that is Argentina or Europe(And even that is debatable)...

4. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    when 47% of the league is foriegn you can start to see why.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well let me ask you, how do you feel about the usage of the oriundi being selected for the Azzurri? I know it's not the first time nor will it be the last. I know if Pastore was never called up by us, I have a feeling the Italians would of pressed hard for him. I believe Pastore has said, his ancestors are originally from the Turin region or so. How far do you go back to find some roots, when somebody's name ends with a vowel, they can play for Italia? :D..

I am just pulling your leg, I wonder what your take is on this subject. I would go to the Italian forum to ask, but I do not want anybody to take it the wrong way. Just one more thing, how is the progress of Fernando Forestieri going? Stopped really following him when he made his choice a few years back.

6. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I don't know any of Argentine players, but I know one Ukraine player: Pietro Vierchowod.:) But in earlier decades Italy had some Italian-Argentine players (Renato Cesarini, Antonio Valentin Angelillo, Humberto Dionisio Maschio, Omar Sivori, Enrique Guaita). But I don't consider this as something bad, they have Italian heritage and desire to play for Italian NT. Croatia also collects players from abroad, they are Croats in the heart, even though they were born in Australia, Switzerland, Germany. Croatia almost got two Croatian-Argentine players (Biloš and Cvitanich). But they didn't played. Coach promised to Daniel Bilos that he will play for Argentina and he played for them, now he is retired. FIFA has bad rule, that player can't play for his country if grandfather or grandmother weren't born in that country. Great-grandfather of Dario Cvitanich is born in Croatia, but his grandfather was born in Argentina.

7. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    FIFA rule allows only until grandparents who need to be born in Italy, so that their grandchild born in Argentina can play for Italy. This isn't so far. Interesting thing is also that almost every Argentine player with Italian roots comes to play in Italian league.:D Obviously Italy means something to them.

List of Argentine born footballers who have played for other national teams:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Argentine_born_footballers_to_play_for_other_national_teams

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They can also get naturalized, but only grandparents? I think it goes further then that. As for your quote that Argentine players with Italian roots come to Italian League, that is because Italy means something to them. Yes, it means a lot of money. That is what it means to them. Plus honestly, it is easier to adapt in Italy then lets say England or Germany. Our players would rather go to Spain or Italy. But it's all about money, Italy does not mean anything besides that when they first go there.

It's funny a Croat came here, we were talking about Luis Ibáñez a couple days back, a player to keep an eye on. But it appears he will be playing for Croatia. Any updates with that?

9. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    They can be naturalized if they play at least five years in the league of that country, for example Italian, or Croatian. Dario Cvitanich couldn't play for croatia because his grandfather was born in Argentina. This "granny rule" really doesn't go far.

"Cvitanich was born in Argentina with distant Croatian heritage. He established himself as a quality footballer in his home country playing for Banfield in the Argentine Primera División. After much consideration he eventually pledged to play for the Croatia national team, stating that "such an opportunity only comes once and you must take it". It became known on 14 January 2009 that he couldn't play for Croatia, because the FIFA rules do not allow nationality to be taken from the great grandfather."

To bad, because he won't play for Argentina, nobody will invite him.

For example here is a list of footballers that have Croatian heritage, from Latin America, Australia, USA, Canada, really large amount of football players. May of them probably can't play because their grandparents were born in new country. There are many Argentine players who have Croatian heritage, volleyball players of Argentina Milinkovic and Spajic are of Croatian heritage, Diego A. Maradona, Daniel Bilos, Dario Cvitanich and many more, you have on earlier pages also. They won't probably ever be invited for Argentina, but they probably can't play for Croatia, because of that FIFA rule.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578252&page=6

Imagine, how one small country like Croatia can have such a large number of players in diaspora, only 4,5 millions of people.:) I didn't wrote every player, takes time for that, many of them are still to young. I haven't wrote about them, just about these players that have some information.

For example Edinson Cavani, his grandfather was from Maranello, grandfathers of Camoranesi and Cicinho are from the same village in Italy.:D

Thiago Motta: "Subsequently, reported claims that he wanted to be called up for Italy and possibly to the 2010 FIFA World Cup, as he possessed dual nationality – both grandparents from his mother and father's side being Italian."

That means something. Ancestor of Lionel Messi left from Ancona 1883 year, he can't play for Italy.:D His roots are to far and go against FIFA rule.

10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You can get Italian citizenship going back as far as you want, you just have to find all the paper work... it goes much further than just grandparents. my mom's great grandfather was born in genoa and she got an italian passport through him and thats actually how she got US citizenship

you could go back further if you want and it applies for futbol too

for example, camaronesi's grandparents weren't born in italy and he played for italy and won a world cup

11. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Spanish and Italian citizenship isn't difficult to get, you need to play in these countries or search some background. That's why Italian-Argentine players mostly come in Italy: Batistuta, Zanetti, Cambiasso, Camoranesi, Cavani, Lavezzi, not just Argentine players. With Italian citizenship you are becoming EU citizen.

For example Leandro Cufre, Luis Ibanez, Adrian Calello play in Croatian league, but they all three have Italian passports; Cufre because of his games and maybe Italian heritage, Ibanez and Calello because of their Italian heritage, but surname Ibanez is Spanish.:rolleyes:

You can get passport, but you couldn't play for Italian NT. Why didn't FIFA let Cvitanich so that he can play fro Croatia. His great-grandfather was born in Croatia. Camoranesi also played since 2000 in Italy. If he didn't had any Italian heritage, he could play for Italy, just because he "worked" in Italy for five years. Croatian NT is waiting 2,3 years so that Brazilian player Sammir can play for Croatia, but I think he won't be invited after all.

Luis Ibanez said that he would like to play for Croatia, even though he does't have any Croatian heritage, but in 2,3 years he could be invited.

Mauro Camoranesi: "Mauro Camoranesi, Cavaliere Ufficiale OMRI, (born 4 October 1976 in Tandil,...whose Italian descent dates back to a great-grandfather from Porto Potenza".

If he didn't played in Italian league, he couldn't play for Italy, because of that rule.

Croatia wanted one player from France: Gregory Sertic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grégory_Sertic

His grandfather was born in Croatia, but he isn't good player so no one is inviting him, neither France, neither Croatia.

Last name Camoranesi is changed last name: "From Porto Potenza Picena emigrated to the Argentina great-grandparents of Mauro Camoranesi Germán, who bore the surname of Camporanesi, then modified".

His last name is Camporanesi.
    http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto_Potenza_Picena

Irish way:http://www.soccer-ireland.com/irish-football-history/granny-rule.htm

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i dont follow you... camaronesi arrived in italy in august of 2000 and was playing for italy by February 2003 which means it was his italian heritage that enabled him to play for italy

im not sure why fifa didn't allow cvitanich to play for croatia, they should have but whatever international futbol is becoming a farce

i mean look at thiago at barcelona. a brasilian born in italy but plays for spain what the hell is up with that :confused:

13. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Camoranesi had his Italian origins as way of his enter in Italian NT. If you don't have Italian heritage, after 5 years of playing in Italy you can get Italian passport and you can play for Italian NT. Brazilian player Amauri had problems because he didn't had any Italian heritage, after he married to one Brazilian girl who has Italian heritage and that's how he got Italian citizenship faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amauri

"After receiving Italian citizenship in April 2010, Amauri finally became eligible to play for the Azzurri."

He came in Italy 2000.:rolleyes: Some people don't have same conditions. Camoranesi had better conditions because he has Italian heritage. Amauri needed to get Italian citizenship 2005, not 2010.:D Obviously Italian federation didn't wanted him so badly.

"Amauri, who has not appeared at international level for the Brazilian team, would have been indeed eligible in the future to play for the Italian national team because he was eligible to acquire Italian nationality by marriage to a Brazilian-Italian woman; however, according to Italian law Amauri was forced to wait for at least one year from the day of the proclamation of his wife as an Italian citizen, which did not happen before April 2009."

Other example is Croatian Dario Simic, who doesn't have Italian heritage, he played in Inter and Milan and he got Italian citizenship after 5 years of playing or living in Italy, his wife is Croatian, he has dual citizenship: Croatian and Italian, but Amauri couldn't get Italian citizenship after 5 years.

When you see Cvitanich or Amauri or Camoranesi, it's clear that they don't have same conditions. Cvitanich could play fro Croatian NT if he would come in Croatian league and play 5 years there, but he costs to much.:rolleyes:

Also some players are putting on the scale two national teams and they lose both teams. Like Daniel Bilos. In these situations it's silly to sit on two chairs.

Thiago Alcantara.:D Just watching now, didn't knew that he is born in Italy.
    But it's easy to explain I think. He came with his parents in Spain when he was 5. He has 20 years now. His father Mazinho played 2 years in Italy and 7 years in Spain. He probably got Spanish citizenship.

It's silly I know. In Europe we had EURO in Basketball. Every European team has one one or several non-European players.

For example Tony Parker. His father is African-American, his mother is Dutch, Tony was born in Belgium, but he plays for France. French team has players who weren't born in France at all, or they don't have French heritage.

Other player is son of ex-tennis player Noah, who is from Cameroon, his mother is Swedish and he is French. In football is such a confusion because of these rules.

Croatian-Brazilian player can play for Croatia, because he played 5 years in Croatian league and he came very young, 15, 16 I think and he married with Croatian woman. His child is born in Ukraine, because he plays now there and he said: "My son can chose between 3 national teams: Brazil, Croatia and Ukraine.":D

Also Marcos Senna played for Spain, because he played long enough there. He plays in Spain since 2002 and he started to play for Spain 2006. They needed him for the World Cup probably and they put some effort for him. France wanted Didier Drogba also, just because he played in French league, but he refused.

I consider that this is silly, every Football Federation can invite 5,6 South Americans and make respectable national team. South America develops to much players and they can't play for their national teams because they are weaker, they come in Europe, play several years and get citizenship.

Portugal, Netherlands, France, England, Sweden, Belgium, Germany do that very often.

For example Kevin Kuranyi, his father is Hungarian, mother is from Panama, he was born in Rio de Janeiro, played for Germany, married to Croatian woman who was born in Germany.

Smaller countries are resisting to hire foreign players in their NT, but it's hard, these players are always saying how would be great if they could play for Croatia or any other country. It's all right if they play for Croatia, if they have Croatian heritage. For now only Eduardo da Silva doesn't have Croatian heritage, only he has Croatian wife. Some of them have mixed Croatian-Serbian heritage, or Bosnian Muslim heritage, but they all have also Croatian heritage.

I have read that Cvitanich has also Jewish heritage, people have several nations as their heritage.

Irish Football Federation took players who were born in England mostly,they don't have talented players in Ireland, but these players from England or Scotland have Irish heritage, that's how they can play for Ireland.

Every case is explained how they are eligible to play for Ireland, when you click on their names in bottom:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team

They were weak for English NT and they came to play for Ireland. England also had players of Irish heritage: Martin Keown, Wayne Rooney, Jaime Carragher...

But Italian and Spanish citizenship is easy to get. For example some parts of Croatia were Italian parts back in the past, many ethnic Croats were born in Italy back than, after that Croatia got their territories and children, grandchildren can ask for Italian citizenship because their ancestor was born in "Italy", even though they were all Croats, but wars, deals made that they become Italians.

I also have family in Argentina and they all have dual citizenship, Argentine and Croatian. Many Croatian-Argentine people went in Croatia to settle forever, after 1990. when Croatia got their independence. Croats are living in Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Peru, some of them live in Mexico and Costa Rica, when you watch only Latin America.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As for Camoranesi, he has said it many times that Argentina is his homeland and not Italy. He was asked during the 2006 WC why didn't he sing the anthem, he said, he didn't know it, and Argentina's anthem was his anthem, and even said he would rather be at the WC with us. After that final, he looked in the camera and said "para los pibes del barrio". 2 Argentines played in that final that day, one being Camoranesi the other Trezeguet. It would've been difficult for either to make the starting lineup. Trezeguet would have gone up against Crespo after Bati left, and Camoranesi would have had to battle many other players. They both won major trophies and had great careers, good for them.

At the end of the day players fall through the cracks and go elsewhere. It is very difficult to track every single player in the world. Gerardo Bruna for example was playing for the U17 Spain team while he was Liverpool. Mascherano found out that he was Argentine and gave a call to the coaches to call him up, and they did.

As Gaucho said, international scene has become a joke, so many countries are building and putting players into a blend of different cultures and nationalities. A NT is defined by culture and way of life, we are lucky enough to have done this from the start, since we were/are a country of immigrants. I heard a story about the 96 Euro Dutch side had infighting from players that were Surinamese and the Dutch. I believe many countries will have this issue if they continue to build teams like that. I sense the Germans will have this issue in the future.

Anyways, I will give you a name for you to look at.A player I am sure Croatia will look is Augustin Vuletich from Velez. He was apart of the 2011 U20 WC this year. I believe he has Croatian roots, but former Yugoslav names throw me off at times(Mostly towards Serbian,Croatian,Slovenian).

15. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Camoranesi also said: "I feel Argentine but I have defended the colors of Italy, which is in my blood, with dignity. That is something nobody can take away."

I remember that Lucas Martin Castroman played in Argentina on his position. That right position was crowded in Argentina. Camoranesi needed to play in national team, because best players have their national team. Argentina produces large amount of good players, like many other South American countries: Chile, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay. You have many inhabitants in each country, it's normal to have many players. I think that it's fair if player chooses to play for the country of his background. But when you see a player who doesn't have any heritage and he plays for some team, that's silly.:D

Jorge Trezeguet, father of David has French heritage, Trezeguet is French surname I believe. David also didn't had an option, Argentina had Batistuta, Ortega, Crespo, after came Julio Cruz, maybe David could get his place in Argentine NT. I consider that Argentina has lost nice number of good players, I didn't wrote here about players from 30's, 40's: Camoranesi, Trezeguet, Roberto Miguel Acuña Cabello, Lucas Barrios, Luis Cristaldo, Pablo Mastroeni.

With money these NT can buy any player and put them in their teams.:D

Netherlands had two locker rooms for Dutch players and Surinamese players. I have noticed that van Basten wanted to put more Dutch players.:D

Croatia doesn't have problems with immigrants, Croatia has only minorities that live there decades or 2,3 centuries: Germans, Italians, Serbs, Czech, Ukraine, Russians, Slovak, etc.

Germans tried to play with pure Germans, but after 1998 in France they saw that they can't make any success. They only had Mehmet Scholl I think in France 1998, later came Croatian Thomas Brdaric, Slovene-Croat Fredi Bobic, after that came others. Interesting is that these players have mostly their mothers as Germans, because their fathers wanted German papers, father of Khedira, Gomez, Scholl, Boateng brothers, etc. There were many marriages just for interest, immigrants would pay to native German women so that they marry to them, later they would have children and most of them are divorced today. You have these situations in other European countries, for example Henrik Larsson took his mothers maiden name, Martin Dahlin, mothers are mostly native European women, fathers are mostly immigrants, or parents came both as immigrants and got children in new country, like Ozil, Altintop, Basturk, Davala Umit and Croatian players, their parents came from Croatia, Bonia and Herzegovina and got children in Australia, Switzerland, Germany.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic is half Croatian (mother) and half Bosnian Muslim (father).

Germany would play with Germans, they even don't like Eastern Germans.:D They think that they are lazy and non-productive. But for the sake of good results on Euros, mondiales, they need to hire foreign players.

Mesut Ozil wanted to play for Turkey with all his heart, but Turkish coach didn't call him, Germany called him and he accepted. When you see them during German national anthem, it's visible that they don't belong there, even though they were born in Germany. But heritage is heritage after all. If you know any Croatian in Argentina, he will always say that he is proud of his Croatian heritage, Croats are that kind of nation, they respect new country, because she helped them in building new life.

I have noticed influence of immigrants in Latin America, through clubs: Deportivo Armenio, Audax Italiano, Bolognesi, Liverpool, Everton, Danubio, Vasco da Gama, etc.

I have found Agustin Vuletich (Vuletić) before.:D He is Croatian even though it's not written. Serbs didn't came in South America, Croats came in South America, because of political reasons, because they were pressured in Yugoslavia from Serbs and that's why they needed to go in South America.

Slavic nations in South America are mostly: Czech, Polish, Ukraine, Croats, Croats from Bosnia and Herzegovina, maybe Russians. But you won't find to many Serbs in South America.

In early centuries they came in South America because of bad agricultural conditions and bad contracts between Venice and Austro-Hungarian Monarchy when it was the question of vine.

Velez Sarsfield had several players of Croatian origins:

Mariano Uglessich (Uglješić), Simón Fredotivich (Fredotivić), Horacio Bidevich (Bidević), Agustín Vuletich (Vuletić).

They are even today in Croatian surname forms, but this Fredotivic is more rare, also Bidevic, but Vuletic is pretty commo and Ugljesic.

Ugljen means coal in Croatian language. I really found them a lot:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578252&page=6

The problem with Argentine surnames is that they only use one last name. They mostly have two names and one last name, Chileans have both surnames, so it's easy to see are they Croatians. Found some players from Peru, Uruguay, Costa Rica, but mostly they live in Chile or Argentina, two biggest countries with Croatians in S. America. For example one president of Costa Rica was Croat.

List of famous Croats in Croatia and abroad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Croats

List of politicians of Croatian ancestry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politicians_of_Croatian_ancestry

List of Croatian sportspeople: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Croatian_sportspeople

Croats have many football clubs, players outside of Croatia, they left rich trace in different sports, football, basketball (NBA), baseball, martial arts, American football, Australian football, rugby, ice hockey...skiing, tennis, chess, cricket, water polo, handball, Croats are really talented in sports.

There is a initiative that Croatia develops rugby faster with assistance of Croats from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, because they are active there. Croats like to play for their country, patriotism was their motivation giver always. To bad that Croatia can't hire Croats of 3,4 generation, because many of them would like to play for Croatia, even though they live 50, 100 years in the new country.

Serbian last names are much longer and mostly finish on -vic. Croatian surnames are mostly shorter and diverse, you can find surnames that do't finish at all on -ic, but Croats also have last names that finish on -vic.

You can find last names that exists in Croatia, Serbia.

Slovene last names are similar to Czech and Slovak, they finish on -ec, -ek. For example Argentine handball player Kogovsek is Slovene.

There is a one footballer in Argentina, who is Slovene: Javier Antonio Grbec http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/javier-antonio-grbec/profil/spieler_53381.html

Slovenia today has a lot of Serbs, Bosnian Muslims and some Croats in their national team, because they can't arrange NT with pure Slovenes. They all lived in Slovenia and now they can play for them. But they are weak for Croatia or Serbia, that's why they choose Slovenia.

Also Croats who play for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia, they are weak for Croatian NT. Same thing is with Serbia, who lost much more players: Bojan Krkic Perez (Spain), Marko Marin (Germany), Sacha Kljestan (USA)...

Croatia lost Bosnian Muslim-Croat Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Croat-Finnish Teddy Lucic who plays for Sweden, Mark Viduka (Australia), Dario Cvitanich, Jason Culina (Australia). I consider them as good players, that played for good clubs, Ibrahimovic probably wouldn't play for Croatia. But we got many talented players from diaspora: Rakitic (Switzerland), Simunic (Australia), brothers Kovac (Germany), Petric (Switzerland), Klasnic (Germany), Ilicevic (Germany). Seric (Australia).

For example best New Zealand player is Croat Vicelich, he isn't good material for Croatia, also best Austrian player is Croat Andreas Ivanshitz (Ivančić), but his family is generations in Austria, other best Austrian footballer is Ivica Vastic, weak for Croatia in 90's, good for Austria. But Croatia has a good football school. We develop players very quickly. But if you know any good South American player that could have Croatian heritage, you can write on thread of Croatia. Many Croats live in Argentina, they know about their heritage and their surnames are different than Spanish and Italian.:D

Italy would have a large amount of South American players:D

Taffarel, Abondanzierri, Javier Zanetti, Burdisso, Pochettino, Scaloni, Messi, Cambiasso, Pastore, Heinze (through his mother), Batistuta, di Maria, Forlan, Cavani, Muslera, Carini, Lugano, etc.:D If some players left to play for other teams, they weren't good for Argentina I assume, you lost maybe 4,5 players in modern times.

BTW, Javier Pastore scored today for his PSG.

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow man, you write a lot. I was going to write a long reply to each statement but I will keep it short.

Camoranesi is 100 % Argentine. We all have roots from somewhere but we do not go like, my so and so is, and my so and so is from here. If that was the case, I have Italian,Spanish,Greek blood in me, my last name is Italian but I don't go around saying I am Italian. My point, we are a country of immigrants and always had players from different regional last names, but at the end of the day we are Argentine, because of our culture.

You are brought up how your parents wanted to bring you up. Speaking the language is essential in my eyes. I consider somebody like Ozil Turkish because he speaks the Turkish language, it's not a language you pick up everyday. I have cousins born and raised in the US, will consider themselves 100% Argentine, have cousins that were born in Spain, consider themselves 100% Argentine. Your parents make that choice for you as a child, and it is up to you if you want to follow in their foot steps to pass it down to your children.

The Germans now have a lot of different faces and cultures in their team, it is something new, and as I said, it will come to ahead sooner or later. Their U17 team that I saw play this year, I saw and heard at least 2 or 3 Turkish names, I saw Khedira's brother, heard a Polish, Swedish names. Again, it is something they will have to get use to. Key word, is culture clash, like we saw with the Dutch.

17. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Camoranesi is Argentine, with this I agree. Best proof is that he doesn't know Italian national anthem.:D

Europeans look differently on heritage, because we are not children of immigrants, but we probably all have from our family who is immigrant. Interesting is also that Argentine players have nicknames: Vasco, Tano, El Gringo (Heinze), also nickname Aleman is famous in Brazil (Alemao), also probably in Argentina. You are probably proud on your heritage like anybody else. You have three different cultures. Your nickname could be Balcano, Tano also.:D

South Americans accept new immigrants, European countries don't accept easy, in European countries you are always stranger, auslander (Germany) or any other word.:D Europe isn't melting pot like both Americas, Canada, Australia. But even there people say who came earlier.:D

Mesut Ozil is Turkish for sure, even though he was born in Germany, his parents gave him the Turkish name, they could call him Hans very easy. Turkish people are always Turkish, I don't know any Turkish player that has non-Turkish first name outside of Turkey. Many of them were born in Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Mevlut Erdinc is from France. Also immigrants in France, UK, Netherlands, etc. don't consider themselves as French, Dutch or English people. In England English people are moving out from quarters where immigrants came, because they can't adjust on the new culture in their country, before these quarters were quarters with reputation. Melbourne became the city with largest number of Greek people outside of Greece.

Marseille is empty city today, French people moved out, closed their stores, business spaces, you can see only immigrants who are walking around. Similar thing is in Vienna, Italy, etc.

Countries must hire children of immigrants in Europe, because they don't have their own players. If you would look only Germany, France, England, they couldn't create good team just with English, German or French people. Netherlands can create still nice number of pure Dutch players, but this is wrong way, other countries with nice football schools will always left behind. It's not interesting to see only immigrants on the field that represent your country, they don't know your history, culture, language is not very good.

Belgium was traditional country who used before Belgians, but now they have immigrants, also French and Dutch people can't get along in Belgium.

Small number of countries use only one nation, Slavic countries, maybe Italy could pass still, Spain, Denmark, but I saw in younger selections that they have immigrants, probably they won't play for seniors. This thing that happened with France in South Africa, this is a product of immigration, protest, because they have problems in everyday life in France. World is becoming poorer and all countries must face with immigrants. Probably in Argentina lives many Paraguay, Bolivian, Peruvian people.:D

The question is which country will adjust on that culture clash in Europe.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

There is another one like that, Alex Zahavi, born in the US, at U17's played for Portugal,U20's for the US, U-21 for Israel, lol!

19. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    please cap Mauro Zarate, dont want him near the italy team.

20. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Argentina and Portugal lost Claudio Reyna, he was a good player.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudio_Reyna

"Reyna's father Miguel moved to the United States in 1968 from Argentina, where he had gone through the youth system of Independiente and played professionally with Los Andes. He settled in New Jersey where he married a Portuguese American woman, Maria, and raised a family."

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There has not been any speculation that he was going to be called up by either side for a long time, so who cares. Zarate is talented as hell, but he is a headless chicken like Tevez,Lavezzi and Di Maria.

I do not think we missed out on anything, and I will be honest with you, if Messi had decided to play for Spain or Higuain for France, I would shrug my shoulders and move on.

22. carmelino

carmelino Red Card

Oct 23, 2010
    Europe
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Messi hasn't showed to much in Argentine jersey. I have heard that he is frustrated because of that.

23. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, you can put Osvaldo on the list and in the near future Ezequiel Schelotto.

24. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina