Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players 2011-2013 (Part II) [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    or like this one [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513WnmlHLWQ"]Batistuta Hattrick vs Greece - World Cup 1994 - YouTube[/ame]

World cup - 10 goals in 12 matches (2 hattricks)
    Copa america - 13 goals in 17 matches (top scorer in 91 & 95) (scored in 91 & 93 finals)
    Confederation cup - 2 goals in 2 matches

my fav striker of all time:cool:

2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No doubt he was very good, and the symbol of Argentinian football after Maradona's retirement, but with the NT I always thought he underperformed. Somehow, after WC94, he always seemed to go missing during contested matches.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, that's because the team itself crumbled not because of him

For example, when France played the first 2 matches in 2006, they failed to score, Zidane got booked in both matches... France need to win by 2 goals and they did it without him. In 2002 Ronaldo didnt have any contribution against England but Brazil gets through because the other players gave their contribution (the goals)

Batistuta scored alot, the problem is when he didnt score why cant the other score and win it? Even in 2002 disaster, Argentina got 3 point in first match from Bati.

Its not that he became anonymous during those big games but because every great/legendary players needs others contribution to help them win a tournament.

4. Arg10

Arg10 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wait, what? You can't be serious! If Batigol underperformed... what do you think about every other player with the NT?! :eek:

Two golazo's by Argentine players today. RodriGOL Palacio and Luis Gonzalez.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZWieOjrSk"]Genoa 1 - 0 Lazio - Palacio Goal - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QV4vm2rhc"]Golo do Lucho Gonzalez frente ao Setubal by www.antesfossefacil.com - YouTube[/ame]

At the moment, I'd love to have Palacio on the NT. He can play on the wings and has experience. I'm not saying start him, but on the bench.

5. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yeah, I saved that to read it a bit later in the day.

For some reason I thought we had a friendly in a couple of days. I thought it was the 9th but turns out to be the 29th.

Good read as well. Heard it before but always great to hear it again.

Barcelona initially unconvinced that Leo Messi would succeed as a pro

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20120206/barca-extract/?eref=si_soccer

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Did you see Palacio's crazy goal against Lazio?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO_Ay53ph6I&context=C339197eADOEgsToPDskIR8rKKwTqAY7qtHhArEvud"]Bizarre Backwards Goal - Genoa v. Lazio - YouTube[/ame]

Palacio is having his best season so far in Italy. Not too long ago he scored this thing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx5PojBf91U&feature=related"]Golazo Rodrigo Palacio - Genoa Vs Napoli - YouTube[/ame]

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi with 50 yard assist

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A10rYPkJc14"]Barcelona Vs Valencia 2-0 08/02/12 Cesc Fábregas Goal - YouTube[/ame]

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero so far has 19 goals + 6 assist in 32 games

It would be his fifth straight season where he scores no less than 20 goals.
    In comparison, Higuain only scored more than 20 in 2 seasons, although he's at 17 this season.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is all irrelevant because Aguero played many more games each season. Let's take a look at their seasons in Europe:

Aguero:

2006–07: 42 games - 7 goals (0.17)
    2007–08: 50 games - 27 goals (0.54)
    2008–09: 47 games - 21 goals (0.45)
    2009–10: 54 games - 20 goals (0.37)
    2010–11: 41 games - 27 goals (0.66)
    2011–12: 32 games - 19 goals (0.59)

Higuain:

2006–07: 23 games - 2 goals (0.09)
    2007–08: 34 games - 9 goals (0.26)
    2008–09: 44 games - 24 goals (0.55)
    2009–10: 40 games - 29 goals (0.73)
    2010–11: 25 games - 13 goals (0.52)
    2011–12: 33 games - 17 goals (0.52)

In other words, of course it's going to be easier to score over 20 goals if you play 41 games instead of 25, for example. Aguero definitely deserves credit for his amazing consistency, but really there's no point in comparing him to Higuain on that basis. A more fair one would be averaging their goals per game (in parenthesis above). For the most part they are pretty even, and Higuain even had a better average goals per game record in 08-09 and 09-10.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you take the overall goal ratio in their career so far (goal/caps), they're pretty even

Aguero is scoring ratio is close to 0.45 while Higuain is slightly more than 0.45

Aguero assist total is 47, Higuain assist total is... 47

In NT Aguero scored 14 in 33 while Higuain 12 in 22, but more than half of Aguero's cap is as subtitute

The only significant difference so far is, Aguero banging goals against team like Real madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea, Manchester united, Arsenal, Liverpool etc. Higuain would only miss an open goal against a strong side.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Lol I had no idea AC Milan had gotten Maxi Lopez on loan. He just scored vs Udinese.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Traca seems like he scored another goal for Everton today. Glad to see him slowly but surely finding his way.

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Denis has been bled into the side at Everton allowing him time to adjust . Moyes has to be the best manager in the EPL considering the resources he has.

Denis scored his first goal in the FA Cup a couple of weeks ago and this is his first league goal.

He works very hard all game and plays some nice neat flicks and passes and really holds the ball up well and is very good aerially. As one would expect from seeing him with Boca.

He is getting there and adjusted to the pace of the division. Meanwhile remember Gerardo Bruna ? Currently he cannot even get a game with Blackpool.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks for the update, I like Stracaqualursi and hopefully he can be an alternative at the centerforward position to Higuain.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    He's a good player in the target forward position. He's strong and can hold the ball very well. But Argentina doesn't play that way.

18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, then again Sabella seems to have called up Denis in the past, and probably will call him again, why not Traca? Maybe it's not the time to call him up just yet, when he was playing at Tigre, maybe. but will need to find some form if he stays in Europe and wants to play for the NT.

But you are right about us not playing that way. But he is that type of player is always good to have. Plus he's still young, only 24.

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Ah yeah I agree. And Denis was really just someone to take up place. He really didn't fit into any plans.

Traca would be a good, different type of striker to have in the team.

20. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
  21. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Great piece but I wish Vickery changed that picture of him that's there. He looks like he's auditioning for the Jersey Shore.

22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He probably did that on purpose. Somebody once wrote, "Hey Tim, you look like a gigolo in your picture" but it was taken down by the mod on the site. He is actually a real funny guy from the Podcasts that I listen to. And yes, it was a really good piece.

23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Nice! Some new faces. Wasn't Campagnaro saying he would accept an Italian call-up; but looks like he got his wish, plus good to see him come back after his car accident from last year. Garay, nice, wanting to see him for some time. Good old Maxi is back, Palacio is deserved. No real issues with the players called up. Would of liked to have seen Gaitán though.

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maxi should not come back, he's time with the NT is past.