Are the MetroStars coming back?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by trevor_daniles, Sep 29, 2012.

1. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blah blah blah, bring back the MetroStars. Naming stadiums after sponsors is bad enough. If you're a Yankees or Liverpool fan, do you want to go to Walmart stadium to see games? No, you want to go to Yankees Stadium (even the 2.0 version) or Anfield. That's your home ground.

I realize there are teams in Japan's J League called Toyota FC or something along those lines, but slathering over a club's identity with a sponsor's name crosses the line, in my opinion. It's a cancer that should be extracted from the game. Leave something for the fans to identify with. I bet that attendance in Portland would suffer if they changed the club's name to Alaska Airlines FC. History and tradition mean something to most fans.

Okay, I'm done. Thanks for listening. :)

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, no one would ever go to, say, the Reebok Stadium or Emirates Stadium.

And it's Yankee Stadium, not Yankees Stadium.

Jasonma repped this.
  3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's true. Good point. But when they renamed St. James' Park to Sports Direct Arena, there was a bit of an uproar. Anyways, I just felt the need to rant, lol. Someone in the Atlanta MLS expansion forum has already seriously suggested the name Coca-Cola FC, as part of an uber-sponsorship deal or something. Ugghh....

4. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like the Metro-themed armband which came late last year is permanent. He's worn it in every game this year.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did people stop going?

6. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know. I haven't talked to every single Newcastle fan. I know there were MetroStars fans who stopped going to games after they became RedBull.

As I already said, the stadium sponsor naming is bad enough (StubHub Center anyone?). But team sponsor naming is where it crosses the line in my opinion.

Check this out. This guy just got a Petke's Army tattoo. Why did he use the old logo instead of the energy drink logo? A unique team identity means something to hardcore fans.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/must-see-ink-red-bull-fan-gets-petkes-army-tattoo/

Personally I think he shoulda gone with Roy Miller's Army. That woulda been funny. :p

7. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ok for the third or fourth time in this thread you've made your opinion known we get it.

And just for the record we New Yorkers don't give particular weight to sporting opinions coming out of Atlanta unless it's Larry talking.

8. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. You would think after 3 posts, they woulda changed the name back already, lol. Anyways, point taken.

I'm gonna let that slide. Have a good day!

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, you said a Yankees fan or a Liverpool fan wouldn't want to go to a corporate-named stadium without talking to every single Yankee or Liverpool fan. So you felt you were on solid ground speaking for Yankee and Liverpool fans, but not Newcastle fans? Just making sure.

aetraxx7 repped this.