Are the MetroStars coming back?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by trevor_daniles, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Then what the ******** are you doing on an MLS forum?

ChrizG13, Jasonma and phoenixhazard repped this.
  2. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he? You sound pretty certain... Do you have a link to confirm this?
    Oh, so you are speculating? Because you sounded pretty certain that the Cosmos name would be back in MLS...
    Possibly? I could have sworn you said it was all but a done deal, signed and delivered by Garber...
    Rumors. Unsubstantiated, purely speculative, rumors. Not even a link to these rumors. So basically somebody is filling you full of shit or you are making shit up and crediting to the Secret Society of Rumor Kings.
    Given their investment in MLS, their other non-soccer and non-energy drink investments, and how well this investment work as an advertisement, I do not see Red Bull selling or rebranding any time soon. No matter how much you wish it would happen, it just makes little financial sense for the company.

looknohands repped this.
  3. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No more now than it has been for the past fifteen+ years...nor has Cosmos shown any indication of actually putting money where their mouth is.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said from the beginning it was my opinion, this is a forum and most everythign on here is opinion. So how about you stfu and enjoy your redneck iowa

5. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    but if you want to have a debate you should at least support your opinions... you haven't done that... You said that Garber wanted Cosmos back. That needs at least a citation or a reference to be taken seriously.

your unsupported opinions are just whishful hopes.

PS: Sorry if my grammar is bad... I'm kind of drunk

Jasonma repped this.
  6. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit. You stated it as fact all along, citing some unspecified and unverified "rumors." You redirected one respondent back to your original post. I quoted the whole chain in my last post.
    Except for the posts that claim to be factual - like yours. Most contain links or some verifiable evidence. Some do not. When that happens, other posters respond.
    And if people express their opinions on a forum, which is also known as a discussion board, then they should be prepared for responses of all types. This means that people are going to disagree with you and call bullshit on your opinions. It's happened to all of us. It's how forums work. If you cannot handle this, then perhaps you should start a blog with comments disallowed or something.
    Because I have as much right to post here as you? Given our respective memberships and general standing in this online community, maybe even more so.
    Besides, all I did was call bullshit on the posts you implied were factual. I requested sources for your facts. Now that you are claiming that they are you opinions, my responses may differ.
    Because where I live has everything to do with this conversation...
    You do realize that without "redneck Iowa" one of your state's most successful enterprises (Microsoft) would not exist, right? You do know that the first digital computer -the key ancestor of the modern PC- was invented in Iowa , right? Here, let me prove my factual claim (take note on how it's done, Junior):
    http://www.ehow.com/about_6515358_holds-patent-invention-computer_.html
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000984.htm
    http://www.npr.org/2010/11/20/131469545/literary-paternity-test-who-fathered-the-computer

http://jva.cs.iastate.edu/jvabio.php
    So you can thank "redneck Iowa" for giving Paul Allen the money to buy the Sounders. Then again, you list the Galaxy as your favorite club, so you can thank "redneck Iowa" for giving Paul Allen the money to buy a local team for the Galaxy to play.

Jasonma and looknohands repped this.
  7. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Epic troll-slaying there, aetraxx7.

Jasonma repped this.
  8. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *clap* *clap* congratulations, you just wasted a good amount of your useless life.
    didn't even bother reading it, so yet again congratulations.

9. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, anyone that believes the Cosmos are coming to MLS probably would have trouble reading more than thirty words at a time. Thanks for playing!

Jasonma, aetraxx7 and itcheyness repped this.
  10. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just looking for a post to attach this to...made these comments in the RBNY forum in response to a follow the European tradition of rooting for a new team in your NYC neighborhood and abandon RBNY playing in and representing New Jersey...nothing new really but it has a holiday hook...

Live in the Bronx now...NYC for nearly sixty years...work in New Jersey for the last eight years...don't need to tell you but there are obviously tens of thousands of Yankees/Mets/Giants/Jets/Knicks/Nets/and yes Rangers fans living in New Jersey.

And of course neither NYS or NJ are just one community. Reach Trenton and everything changes from Yankees/Mets etc. to Phillies/Eagles/'76ers/Flyers.

You're right we're not Europe with multiple sports teams within a tight geography with teams representing not cities but neighborhoods. Here in America virtually all of our sports teams are regional teams with diverse fanbases often located in multiple states.

Could all of this changes...not likely...if our lifetimes...never.

In our greater community we have a tradition of the metro area soccer team playing in New Jersey but representing the entire metro area the same as football.

Will NY2 happen...maybe...tomorrow...nah even Garber says 2016 at the earliest...if it happens will we lose current city fans...not many...will it be harder to recruit in the city...no doubt.

But here in the metro area we have our own traditions we don't need to import them from Europe and one of our strongest sports traditions is that you don't abandon your team because of geography. Why do all of our sports teams have lots of fans in stadiums and arenas on the road...because there are tons of folks from New York and yes New Jersey and Connecticut and parts of Pennsylvania who have moved to other parts of the country but remain fans of their metro area teams.

The same in the city...am I now a Yankees fan after following the Mets since '62 because I live almost within walking distance of Yankee Stadium...I root for the Yankees now the same way I always did...every game...to lose!

It's the holiday season...the time to uphold our traditions...and to everyone who wants to graft some alien traditions on us I have only two words...

Bah Humbug!!!

11. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    That's a bullshit post. This country was founded by immigrants and their "alien" traditions. I earned my US citizenship by serving, and I pay for it every paycheck, and I don't need you telling me that my views don't belong here.

Bah Humbug, yourself. Keep your politics in your pants, sir.

12. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Has nothing to do with politics or immigrants only the way sports are organized here...

In NYC in the most popular American sport you'll be waiting a long, long, long time for a football team located in Brooklyn or Queens or anywhere in the five boroughs. You'll be waiting a longer time for promotion/relegation in any sport including soccer. Despite FIFA our MLS will one day (fairly soon too) have 24 or 28 or even 30+ teams.

People can hold any views they want but it doesn't change the reality that in this continental country neighborhood teams in all the big cities would yield a 300 team NFL. Ain't happening so here people root for the team representing their city and metro area and where exactly the stadium is located isn't a huge issue. 40K a game turned out to watch the New York Cosmos for several seasons playing one exit away from Red Bull on the NJ Turnpike.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  13. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    I'm 30 years old, I couldn't care less about how many people turned up to see the Cosmos, or the Brooklyn Dodgers or any other team that I wasn't yet alive to see. Frankly, I don't really care about comparisons to the Jets, Yankees, Mets, etc because I'm not a fan of any of those sports. If you don't think my opinion matters, that's fine, but MLS as an organization is missing out. I've got the dough for season tickets, merchandise, and all that crap, and would be happy to spend some of it on a "relevant product". And yes, where the stadium is makes a big difference to me.

14. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And you're not alone the question for the league is exactly how many people like you live in NYC, people who are dying for a MLS team within the five boroughs. The question is not how many soccer fans live here though the number of spectator fans I believe is hugely overestimated by some.

Are there 20K folks who on a regular basis will travel to Flushing Meadows Park (not the most central or "urban core" section of the city) or Aqueduct or some other even less desirable location if Flushing Meadows crashes and burns?

Currently see no evidence of it even with F.cosmos using the Cosmos name.

15. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Isn't that where they do the US Open? That draws plenty of locals and out of towners.

16. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    The US Open and the Mets too.

Don't get me wrong this is a prime location just not so prime that folks who think an hour + on the trains to get to RedBullArena is too much will automatically see Flushing Meadows Park as a big improvement.

It'll be better for some worse for others and fairly similar for many and if you're not a Mets/Tennis fan the commute will take some getting used to.

There are millions of New Yorkers who don't go to Flushing/Corona regularly and many never go.

F.cosmos is up front about their situation they already see themselves as a Long Island/Queens team.

17. wandering soccerdog

Mar 29, 2003
    From the New York Times. Jack Bell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/19/sports/soccer/19soccer.html

"It is possible the team name could again be changed — to Red Bull Cosmos — because G. Peppe Pinton, who holds the Cosmos trademark rights, said in a telephone interview that he was willing "to give Franz whatever he wants."

This has been rumored for many years...from credible sources.

18. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Humble Opinion as an outsider looking in: I never realized how many people truly do not like the Red Bulls brand on a soccer team, I personally love it and I have been tempted to even buy a RedBulls Jersey just because of the international appeal and how cool it looks (please don't tell my Dynamo brethren). RedBull sponsors all kinds of extreme sports and extreme athletes (even soccer players) and it's a young vibrant brand. I don't think of it as just an Energy Drink,I see the whole picture, so to me it's never been weird when they bought the Metros built the Arena and branded themselves in every way.

Also, I can understand why some (or most we may never know) feel that way about the team but I guess a little more optimism would be good in this situation because you guys have a Great great great venue and also a management team that does not care about spending money on great legendary players. With a better coach maybe better technical staff the RedBulls will achieve their glory soon enough hopefully.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  19. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    So we're split between Austria FC and Saudi Arabia FC. Cool. Where exactly does New York fit into this?

20. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A speculation and rumor filled article from 2006 no longer has much credibility... It didn't come to fruition then and is less likely to do so now - especially since the Cosmos' ownership has changed since then and new plans are underway.

21. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    My completely gut level speculative sense is that in the NY/NJ/Conn/Penn metro area the overwhelming majority of our fan base/broader soccer fans/general sports fans/general public are neutral on this question, it's just the team's name.

I'd guess the number of fans on the poles...hate it...love it...are roughly equal and very small. It's just that many of the haters are hardcore fans/ex-fans who post on these boards.

The lovers keep it to themselves...lol.

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better???
    [​IMG]

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Red Bull Cosmos" would be awesome, if only for the view of the heads exploding.

24. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    This...would be awesome.

25. Yaznasty

Yaznasty Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I made up heard that the NASL NY Cosmos are entering a joint venture with RBNY where Red Bulls use their energy drink money to pay off Garber until he implements pro/rel and then the Cosmos will be promoted to MLS and there will be three NY teams: Red Bulls, Cosmos, and the new New York City Empire Queens FC

aetraxx7 repped this.