Are the MetroStars coming back?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by trevor_daniles, Sep 29, 2012.

1. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No one knows for sure...there's a history here but because a second "once in a lifetime" moment in the Meadowlands didn't occur no one is much inclined to research it.

One thing is clear and that's when Kluge sold Metromedia to Murdoch (and I think Universal) his business life did not end. While the halcyon days of owning TV and radio stations were over Kluge and his right hand man Subotnick continued to operate a variety of businesses under the heading of now MetroMedia (note the new cap M's) and I can guarantee you these new holdings were just as important to Kluge/Subotnick as the more glamorous media stuff, they became their new life.

So was the naming of our team a gesture to Kluge's changing but continuing MetroMedia interests or just the most fortuitous coincidence in the world...what do you think...

2. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But few have heard of MetroMedia, so the MetroStars name basically represents Jersey's classic team to most fans. RedBull represents soda pop to most people. If their ownership has any sense, they'll bring back the MetroStars and admit New Jersey is their home. It's either that or prepare to be the Chivas USA of NY once the Cosmos hit the pitch in Queens.

(For the record, I think they'll choose the Chivas USA option. Hopefully, for the sake of Jersey fans, they'll eventually get bored and sell the team to someone who cares more about soccer than soda pop.)

I<3NJ repped this.
  3. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not in New York/New Jersey in 1996...

The rest of your post doesn't merit a response.

4. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the response is completely true.

5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    How about just "New Jersey Red Bulls"? Simple, yet factual...

[​IMG]

6. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Then...
    Carson Galaxy
    Frisco FC
    Real Sandy
    Sporting KC Kansas
    Bridgeview Fire
    New Jersey Cosmos
    New Jersey Jets
    New Jersey Giants
    Arlington Cowboys
    Prince George's County Redskins

Off the top of my head with our town having a particular history of teams playing in New Jersey including Cosmos.

Out of towner alert - don't make the argument that Cosmos started in NYC and simply took the fanbase to New Jersey. It just isn't the history, before Pele the fanbase was USL style and the one post Pele season played in Yankee Stadium was only (IMHO) because the Giants wouldn't let Cosmos open the Meadowlands stadium in 1976. That fanbase was built in the Meadowlands.

In NYC with the exception of the Devils and Islanders all of our teams including the Red Bulls are regional teams drawing fans from throughout the metro area...but I guess out of towners wouldn't understand...sheesh...

looknohands and Jasonma repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA, Salt Lake, Dallas, Chicago, Philly, and NY all play outside the area their regional name identifies them with (Salt Lake fans, don't give me that crap about it being the county name). If you're going to change one for that reason you have to change them all.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tempe FC representing!

9. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

They just need to do 2 things

1) change it back to New York MetroStars
    2) Change those awful white shirt and red shorts jerseys. Where is the style? they care more about getting their drink logo on the Jersey then creating a real identity through it.

henryo and Flex Buffchest repped this.
  10. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This. Nobody is screaming for the Jets and the Giants to rename themselves the New Jersey Jets or New Jersey Giants. When was the last time they played in NYC? The Giants went to the Meadowlands in 1976 and the Jets followed in 1984. Fair to say they are not a New York team by the standards that you are placing on Red Bull New York.

While I am not nuts about the Red Bull name and branding initiative, I think the Red Bull company is unfairly dumped on. While they might not have won any silverware yet it is not because of not trying. The ownership has put money into the team. They spend for big players like Juan Pablo Ángel and Thierry Henry. RBNY is just suffering like so many teams do when they try to purchase a championship: you can't buy team chemistry and you can't buy instant success.

They also spent, wisely, on a gem of a stadium. Red Bull Arena is hands down the best soccer stadium in MLS.

All in all, while the name and branding of Red Bull might be less then desirable, be very happy with everything else you have. Your world could be much worse off. You could be Revolution fans stuck with an owner that doesn't give a crap about the team and stuck in a cavernous and empty stadium. And the Revs really have a name and logo to complain about. Or you could be my team, DC United, with its great fan support but stuck in a toilet of a stadium that is falling apart.

RBNY, you have very little to complain about.

henryo and aetraxx7 repped this.
  11. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the money. ********ing "fans" in New York are nothing more than whiny bitches. Be thankful you have a team in your market. Be even more thankful that you have owners with deep pockets that have continually invested in the team. They have done everything within their power to provide a great team and a great atmosphere.
    Livestrong may be better than RBA, but RBA is still a gorgeous soccer palace. For ********'s sake, you bitchy NY "fans" should compare your situation to DC and NE. Shut up and support the team you have.

henryo repped this.
  12. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    Against modern football.

13. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors are that the new team in Queens will be New York City FC and then Red Bulls will do a joint venture with the cosmos ownership and rebrand to the Cosmos

14. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This rumor has been around for a while, even before the supposed interest from Man City's owner. It makes sense, especially given the trend for Euro-style names. Luckily this one is less terrible than others... Unfortunately the first thing that comes to mind with "New York City FC" is "FCNY" which makes me retch.
    I'll believe it when I see it. This rumor has been a fan wank for a long time.

15. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As great as this sounds, I don't see Red Bull giving up branding rights to the Cosmos after everything they did to promote their brand within MLS. I'd love to see it, just don't see it happening. Btw, where is this information coming from?

As far as New York City FC, it's bland and blah, but ten times better than copy cat euro names like Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City, and FC Dallas. I'd rather see Empire FC or something. But this is all speculation until the information comes directly from MLS's mouth.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is "New York City FC" ten times better than "FC Dallas?"

And how is "New York City FC" not a copy cat euro name, again?

18. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a copy cat euro name. When did I say it wasn't, again? I said it was blah sounding, but I thought it was better than the other names I listed. It's my opinion that New York City Football Club sounds better than Football Club Dallas.

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's the "New York City" that's ten times better than "Dallas," even though they're just place names, right? And putting "Football Club" AFTER that instead of before it, that's what makes it better? Is it 5x for New York and 5x for placement or what?

20. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably thinking a little too much into it. But go ahead and work yourself up over it. I only think it's 3x better than FC Tampa Bay Rowdies. :eek:

21. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber wants the Cosmos back, however it happens they will come back

22. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I suppose you have some sort of evidence to back up your claim?

23. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no but the potential of millions of dollars and having a house name brand from the get go isn't enticing?

24. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    No, apparently not...

MLS officially registers trademark for New York City FC.

From MLS Rumours.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you didn't read my earlier statement about the red bulls possibly selling to cosmos