Are the MetroStars coming back?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by trevor_daniles, Sep 29, 2012.

1. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    henryo repped this.
  2. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  3. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

we will see about that...

or better yet tell that to don garber who was quoted as catching cosmos fever

go worry about the crew over there in smallville or what ever dust blowing cow boy town you dwell at... go eat at the state fair and let New yorkers worry about NY matter

4. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, no CAPS?
    Don Garber will catch Cosmos fever just as soon as they pony up the $100 million franchise fee. Until then, enjoy supporting your little second division club.;)

aetraxx7 repped this.
  5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure there's another professional sports organization in the NYC area that would object to MLS trying to trademark "Metropolitans" as a nickname...

aetraxx7 repped this.
  6. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mets do not have any rights to the nickname Metropolitans or Metropolitan as far as I know. I've found nothing on that. I've always liked Newark Atlantic SC as a club name, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too popular.

7. Williamsburg

Williamsburg New Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I like the idea of having the New York Metros (Harrison) and the New York Cosmos (Queens). 'Metros' could be a double entendre meaning New York Metropolitan area which includes northern NJ - for those geography snobs who can't tolerate a team in NJ bearing the New York name. For some reason city limits don't matter (Frisco, Bridgeview, Carson) but state limits do. I understand that many season ticket holders are from New Jersey, but the club was established to be the soccer club of NYC, not NJ.

I like the Metropolitan SC, Metro FC, Merto 96 concepts too.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  8. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    Hudson County FC, Hudson County Metro's or simply Hudson County. It's an area steeped in football history and would be a great way of getting the locals in Harrison, Kearny and the Ironbound on board.

I'm not a big fan of naming teams after an entire state or region.

I<3NJ repped this.
  9. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Even if it was Red Bull Metro FC that would be an improvement IMO. They are never going to drop the name.

10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mets are named after the New York Metropolitans, who were playing baseball at the Polo Grounds in the 19th century. Without getting into details of trademark law (because you should never take legal advice from strangers on the internet--not even me), it's not quite as simple a question as "Do the Mets use that precise name in that precise configuration right now".

11. Shamrock Rovers

Oct 4, 2007
    Lima, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Our goal is to be one of the top soccer leagues in the entire world by 2022. This team and this stadium will help us achieve that," Garber said. "You can’t be a dominant soccer league without having a dominant team in the largest and most important city in the world."

What a slap in the face to the Red Bulls who are already representing NY even though not geographically located in the city.

12. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Garber wants Seattle type interest in a NY team, and probably rightfully so, feels NJRB is never goign to get there. He's moved on.

13. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Thierry Henry would've still gone to the Red Bulls if this new New York team was in place when he came to MLS. Still think he would've loved to have played for the Red Bulls?

14. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Henry wants to live in Manhattan as do many of the superstar players that imagine themselves playing in MLS in New York. Fortunately for our team if F.cosmos/NY2 gets off the ground playing in Queens they likely will practice in Nassau County making playing for NY1 or 2 a wash.

It's important to remember that the name of the team is not a significant issue for the overwhelming majority of our fan base and it appears to be a non issue for folks abroad. As I stated in another post it doesn't appear to be an issue for Henry/Marquez (though some wish it was an issue for him, lol)/Kaka (or his brother)/ Alex Ferguson (who advised Roxburgh to take the GM job)/Cahill/Houllier/Ballack (who pleaded to join our team then retired when he couldn't).

A very impassioned minority thinks this issue is paramount but don't be fooled...

15. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then it's a good thing I didn't try to simplify it down to "the Mets do not use that precise name in that precise configuration right now". The Mets have never used Metropolitans in any way shape or form. They use a nickname derived from the word Metropolitan. I have been poking around the internet for any evidence that the Mets have any trademark to Metropolitans, and I can't find anything. If Metropolitan would be a problem, then MetroStars could have been a problem. I honestly doubt the Mets would have any legal recourse. But I'm no lawyer, neither are you, I'm assuming. If anyone finds anything that would put this issue to rest, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

16. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's entirely false. Why do you think an entire city rose up and reorganized Austria Salzburg after the Red Bull takeover over there? There is a huge group of soccer fans in NY/NJ that is completely unwilling or unable to put all of their support behind this team. I don't know what the attitudes are like in the Bronx, but I communicate with people on a daily basis who completely disagree with that. This team could explode if that corporate brand was dropped.

How can you really love a team that's used primarily as a marketing campaign? You can't. I go to games. I enjoy it. But when I compare my feelings of RB to the Devils, just for instance, it doesn't even come close. The Devils are a team engrained in our community. The name comes from local folklore, the logo is a big NJ, it's a team I will hopefully be going nuts for until the day I die. Can you honestly say you feel that way about Red Bull? I can't. That's a completely different story if the branding was different. It's more than just a name to most people. I believe you are actually in the minority.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  17. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    No expert but methinks you overstate the case...

Like it exploded during the MetroStars years...

I can!

I do!!

You're wrong!!!

18. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I'm not. You are indeed in the minority. If you can put 100% of your heart into this team, then I truly envy you.

19. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Cosmos/MetroStars/Red Bulls our home town team through the years!

Catch the fever!!

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could just have the team be New York with a simple, yet clean crest. Then over time a nickname comes from the supporters organically.
    Toronto did this.

Zoti and Inca Roads repped this.
  21. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that, but it becomes so forced and manufactured when you just throw a suffix after the city or region name. And how organic was the "Reds" nickname? Wasn't it there from day one?

22. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    No it wasn't. The nickname stuck after season one though.

Zoti repped this.
  23. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm sure that naming a team the Metros would never end terribly...

"Careful Metros!!! You wouldn't want to break a nail would you?"

24. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Garber is a shit********. ******** metro, but that's the point - Metro - HENRY GETS THIS.

Yeah, yeah "Metrostars" was a brand name too. I'd name 'em Metro New York FC? Kills three birds with one stone, Metro for "tradition" and "new jersey" and "new york" because they are New York team.

25. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetroStars actually was not a corporate brand, that's completely false. Nike is actually the one who came up with MetroFlash, and it was adjusted slightly. That rumor comes from John Kluge, who happened to own the MetroStars and a good chunk of Metromedia. It's been a while since I've read up on the issue, so if any of that is wrong, someone correct me.