Are the MetroStars coming back?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by trevor_daniles, Sep 29, 2012.

1. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    There's only one Hapsburg.

2. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, nothing will ever be worse than ChivasUSA, please agree with this one.

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  3. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. As much as I dislike the Red Bulls name, Chivas USA is ten times worse. At least Red Bull represents New York. Apparently Chivas USA represents all of the US, or something. I really have no idea what their identity is so that's my guess. In terms of worst MLS names, Chivas USA, New York Red Bulls, and Real Salt Lake take the cake, imo.

4. ckonas

ckonas Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Fairfield, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    How about this: RB New York Metros. Red Bull can still be the jersey sponsor/owner, and we can bring back the Metro name w/o being too corny. Win-win.

5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Chivas L.A. or Chivas California sounds better?

6. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is not enough rep in the world.

7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, the company saves face, nostalgia is pleased, and no weird awkward name.

Chivas L.A. isn't all that bad actually.

8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Chivas del Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles would work for me. Or even Chivas de Alta California. :p

9. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Than Chivas USA? Umm, yes. I'd rather see the club rebrand to something other than Chivas, personally. Maybe Club Deportivo Los Angeles, etc. But if they must keep the Chivas name, take the USA part out of it. But, I think both parts of the name cause backlash equally. It's hard for some people to support the Chivas brand, and it's hard for some people to support a club that doesn't really represent their city.

10. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said that since the beginning. Should've kept the Metros name, but the stadium could still be called Red Bull Arena and Red Bull could still be the jersey sponsor. That's more than enough to know Red Bull sponsors the club without renaming the team, the Red Bulls. Bleh.

11. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Man City owners are in the mix
    so New York City FC has been reserved along with Empire City FC

12. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The new 2nd team = 'New York City FC'
    New York Red Bull = rebrand to 'New Jersey Cosmos'
    Use Red Bull name for shirt sponsor, stadium sponsorship, etc etc

14. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Good luck with that...

I WANT THE DRINK TO STAY AS THE DRINK SO THEY CAN SELF DESTROY ON THEIR OWN DRINK 1st IDEOLOGY....

NY will be the Cosmos
    MLS will bend backwards to give the cosmos the edge in how ever they can to help them out... the drink will become a forgotten disgrace by the league..it will just become the junk food advertising circus that just makes up the numbers and not much after that...

The name metrostars had its time its place it was special the lovable losers my lovable losers but now its gone and it will never ever come back... that is the reality...

The drink robbed me of a mls team the cosmos is a much needed alterantive that gives me a chance to re embrace MLS... But 1st I will embrace the NASL while we play there....

what the future holds in NJ is unkown how long the drink stays is unkown the truth is that the situation there is damaged and the supporters there who have put up with this crap deserve a team they can embrace a name that resonates with harrison and NJ to have a proper identity that is not a god damn insult... how ever I think the drink could care less if they draw people or not they dont draw in brasil nor germany and they could care less how bad their attendance is in austria which means they could careless about what does or does not happen in NJ... in the mean time the people who love the team not the brand continue to be held hostage by a beverage company that could careless when itsclearly all about promoting their unhealthy piece of $h!t

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I liked it. Thought it was kind of unique too. People overseas liked it enough that they named a couple of their own teams after it, including the hockey team in Düsseldorf, which changed its name to Metro Stars in 2001 (in conjunction with getting a new sponsor, the company Metro). I believe there was a baseball team somewhere in Europe called MetroStars as well.

I thought it was better than Wizards (not that Wizards is a particularly terrible name).

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  16. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    See.. none of them football clubs. Those sports give teams names such as ducks, Penguins, Coyotes, Angels, etc. Yuck.

17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to see RBNY rebranded.. i want red bull to go down with the ship.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  18. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    They should be rightfully surrendered to the state of NJ. The NY part is irrelevant, nobody in NY cares about this club.

19. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Uh, what are you basing that on?

20. I<3NJ

I<3NJ Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Jersey Shore/Philadelphia
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As ridiculous as this thread is, I feel I need to comment. This club really hasn't broken into the fabric of any community. As much better as it is for the team to be in an urban setting as opposed to the Meadowlands, all potential markets have been severely turned off and fans severely alienated. This has never been a New York team. During the GS days, a season ticket holder once told me he saw some study that claimed 90% of the attendees at an average match is from New Jersey. Obviously the brand keeps a lot of people away, and everyone's correct, this team is not in the NY market. It is not a New York team, especially after this NYC team (which I need to read into, I haven't been involved in the soccer scene since the Cosmos U-23 team was all the rage) comes to fruition. As much as I would love a New Jersey or Newark branded team, I don't believe that will happen.

What I'm hopeful of is that this NYC team completely undermines the efforts of Red Bull's marketing. They don't want the team if it's in a less than stellar market. It's absolutely unreasonable to keep New York attached to this team if there is a team in the boroughs. However, I don't believe Red Bull will ever drop the New York as long as they own the club. In all likelihood, we'll be stuck with RBNY for a long time. If the NYC team really takes off and RB crashes, that might be the only realistic chance of Red Bull selling. But that's unfortunately unlikely.

They will never go back to MetroStars. It's a pretty horrible name. The Metro brand was awesome, but MetroStars is just a reflection of the cartoony 90's roots of MLS. Again, I'd love to see Newark or New Jersey in the name, but I believe the best way to move forward, keeping the fans while trying to grow the brand would be to name it Metropolitan S.C or something like that. The colors can come back as well as the Metro nickname. It's a win/win, in my opinion. And no one can say that a Metropolitan S.C-NYCFC derby doesn't sound awesome.

loden repped this.
  21. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny that you mention "circus" without referring to Cosmos. Cosmos to MLS will NEVER happen. Make peace with it and move on.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    See below... I've been following (observing from a distance) MetroStars/Red Bulls for the past 8-9 years, and I fully cosign with I<3NJ. I would love to have a real New York team to root for, and every bone in my body says that RBNY is not that team.

23. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    A City FC vs Empire FC derby sounds better .....

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  24. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    With the PATH connection the latest word is that 40% of attendees at the Arena come from New York City/Long Island/Connecticut. I'm guessing that the TV audience (we reportedly have better TV ratings than the Galaxy) is majority New York City.

25. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We need to solve this predicament. We need to push for this Name Change. It's bad for the City of Los Angeles and MLS through and through.
    Chivas USA