Anzhi v Liverpool - Europa - Nov 8 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Nov 5, 2012.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelvey our best player. No help. joke Hole and Downing are shite. The kids just aren't up to covering the difference. A draw now would be a good result but will require more adventure. flannagan is no wingback. And Coates is no sweeper. So we are getting nothing from the wings and so we have little chance to score

2. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    flanno playing well. everyone else has been decent to good. crappy goal to give up right before the break.

hopefully, suso, assaidi and pacheco can come on as impact subs later.

3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well shit. This match is there to win but it just got a little harder with one moment of attacking flair.

4. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assaidi for Cole. Soon.

5. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Very surprised that Assaidi did not get the start here, and that Downing was preferred to him against Newcastle. Is he not fully fit?

I thought we held our own pretty well for most of the first half, without ever really threatening their goal. Henderson passed up the only clear opportunity that we had. Then one moment of poor defending from Coates cost us a goal. Story of the season so far.

Cole really offers nothing in the current position he is playing.

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so did Alan Hansen, didn't he? There's still hope yet. :D

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the comms, guys. I missed the first 50' and am just tuning in to a stream now.

8. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The camera angle at the stadium is high and removed. It give a good perspective of the overall team shape.

LiverpoolFanatic and Kawklee repped this.
  9. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that, too

10. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what Downing is thinking sometimes when he whips in a cross and no one is there. Does he say to himself, "why aren't they on the end of that?" Or, does he realize he made a terrible decision without looking up before choosing to act? *sigh*

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why take off Morgan and not Joe Cole?

The two Spanish mates, Pacheco and Suso on. Lets see if they can get us an equalizer.

Coady also taken off.

12. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suso for Coady and Pacheco for Morgan.

13. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    I noticed that too. Henderson is much too conservative and doesn't seem to take the extra second to see if there's a better - more attacking pass. Shelvey on the other hand looks for that pass and only if none available will play the safe pass.

I will say - the same was said about Lucas a few seasons back...

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that means _both players_ are flawed. They shoudn't be leaning towards one type of pass or the other. They should be reading the game to make the appropriate pass at the appropriate time. Shelvey needs to learn to keep possession more and pass quicker at times, and Henderson needs to find the more penetrating/risky pass and dribble a bit more also.

Wingtips1 and never walk alone TPK repped this.
  15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Suso seems to be ahead of both of those players in that regard.

16. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelvey is badly out of form lately, btw. He should be given a chance to play out of it, because he is a kid. But, he hasn't been good lately.

poopoobigelow repped this.
  17. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commentator claiming this could be a "historic victory," but I don't see that. This is a team with more money than Liverpool, Hiddink as manager and some very high-profile players. They should be able to beat us at their place 1-0. If they beat us 3-0, I'd be surprised but not 1-0.

18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is half second team and half reserves but this is really, really poor play by Liverpool.

Should be down three or four and we have never looked like scoring

Soon we won't have Europe as a distraction.

I guess the the 3-7 -0 will not be the waive of the future. What will be BR's explanation

19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Does Coates have any ability to judge the flight of the ball? He is the biggest man on the pitch and he is just flat out missing every ball he attempts to head. He was at fault for the goal, and easily could have given away 2 or 3 more.

Our squad isn't strong enough to leave our entire first team home and expect to get a good result.

The one positive I take from the 2nd half is the play of Suso. He was our only threat to create a goal. He stood out as head and shoulders above his teammates. It looks like the central attacking midfield is his best position. He was getting a bit lost on the wing, because he doesn't have the necessary pace. He is best in the middle of the field getting on the ball as much as possible with options in front of him. If we are able to obtain another forward in January, Suso will give Sahin and Gerrard a run for their money for spots in the midfield.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Yet another defeat. Disappointing.

Extremely young side. Rogers has chosen to sacrifice this fixture in order to give some rest to our key players. Let's hope we get a result this weekend, because we would have beaten Anzhi easily with our better players based on that performance.

Coady gets his debut for the First Team. The team did well for such an inexperienced one, hopefully Cole never plays for us again. Worse player in our team, gave us nothing, when he is supposed to be leading on our kids in attack. Suso looks ten times the player.

liverbird and LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  21. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointed to lose without being disappointed with the team if that makes sense. Joe Cole should never feature again--he just doesn't have it. Coady was solid in his debut. One defensive mistake by Seb Coates cost the point.

Henderson was presented with the two best chances of the match for LFC and failed to take them. Maybe he is Lucas part two--as in a lot of us were critical of him early while coming around to his attributes later.

We're still in the thick of things to progress which is all we can ask really with the young teams we've had on the pitch.

22. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    rodgers' plan seemed to be to hold them scoreless until 60-70' and then get pacheco, assaidi and suso to come on and push on for a winner. hey, and it almost worked.

shelvey was very poor. coates not much better. suso was head and shoulders above everyone when he came on.

morgan and flanno showed well for themselves, despite the circumstances.

in before the rodgers' vitriol!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upshot is that it's International Stout Day...so I'm well on my way after a bottle of Samuel Smith's Imperial from my old N. Yorkshire neighborhood (so to speak) and some Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Tends to take the sting out of a loss does a good stout. :D

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't know what Rodgers was doing today.

Coates can not play sweeper in a three man back line.

Flannagan actually was one of our best but he can't play wing.

Jaime is fully past it.

So with what he had why not;

---------Jones
    Flannagan --- Wisdom ---Coates ---- Robinson
    --------------Shelvey ---Henderso
    Downing ------ Suso----------Assaidi
    -----------Morgan ----- Pacheco

Would have been the way he claims he wants to play and would have given us a better chance to actually look like scoring, and our defending couldn't have been worse.

25. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Expected result. We're not going far in Europe anyways so its the right decision to give time to the young players and see who is good enough.