Anyone ever Bruise their whole Big Toe, toe Nail?

Discussion in 'Player' started by Bolivianfuego, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hey guys, i played last week and i got stepped on real hard on my big toe.

It turned real purple, and i gave it a few days. I never had this happen before this bad. So i googled what to do, and found out i had to relieve the pressure by poking into the nail with a needle, didnt hurt at all because the nail is already lifted up. So i did this, and blood drained out. Now the nail looks kinda yellow and off putting. It has me a little scared, i read it could get infected too if i dont take care of it??

Anyone have any good instructions? It said to soak in empsom salt and to apply fungal cream to prevent and foot fungus to grow.

Anyone know how long this is all going to take to get over. Or any tips at all? :(

2. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Don't take any chances go to a doctor and explain to the doctor what happened and what you tried to do to treat it.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, i probably will do this.

Anyone else though with personal experience?

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's common practice to poke a hole in the nail to relieve pressure. I've done it before with a power drill (no shit, really). Then I just covered up the hole with a band aid. It healed just fine. The hole eventually just moved to end of the nail.

5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^^ Cool, so you never encountered any infection or anything happening after that? It just healed on its own normally?

Did you still keep on playing with your toe like that?

6. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If it's turned yellow then it probably has gotten infected it doesn't normally turn yellow thats usually a bdad colour for any type of wound or anything like that.

7. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I thought it was yellow but again now it has changed colors. The nail is white now, with a little bit of purple color, while my other foot the toe is flesh colored underneath the nail.

With that said, it has been probably a good 15hrs since i poked it and blood cameout, the blood stopped dripping out, but now just clear liquid still is draining when i push the nail. What is that?

8. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Always see a doctor to be sure. But if it doesnt smell bad and the fluid is clear you should be okay. Best thing to do now is keep it clean (use alcohol) and keep it wrapped until it dries out and heals.

9. SemperFidelis

SemperFidelis New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Alcohol will burn the living crap out of his toe. :p I would say Hydrogen Peroxide stands a better chance at fighting infections and not hurting as much as alcohol would. :)

10. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    He's right. I'm old school I guess. If it hurts it works..I know thats bad :(

11. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok guys, another quick update. I had all the liquid stop dripping out, it dried up, my nail started looking normal again, so much so that it didnt really hurt at all when i would push the nail down, and the color started looking more "normal" i guess you can say.

Well i had a game tonight. Before the game i tested out how my foot felt in the shoes, it felt ok, so i decided why the hell not.

Well now its after the game, my toe hurts a little but not too bad. I Look and see its real purple again under the nail, i guess playing caused it to bruise up again? So i tried to re drain it, this time it seems the nail is stick back down on the skin as i tried to get under the nail this time it was harder than the first time around, where it seemed the nail was rised up. This time i could barely get that thing needle under the front of my nail, and didnt ooze out like last time. Barely a drop of blood came out.

Whats up with that? Is that normal? Should i not mess with it again? Is this a good sign? And is the nail still going to fall off?

12. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, forgot about this. Nope, never had any problem with infection and I went right back to playing (a strategy that definitely does NOT work with pulled quad muscles, I should point out). I covered the hole with a bandaid for a day or so but then got tired of it.

It never filled back up like your's did, though so maybe mine was not quite so bad. And my nail never came off. The hole eventually just grew out normally.

13. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Have you seen a doctor yet? I had something similar happen(a defender twice my weight landing on my big toe with his stud after a header, and it cracked the entire nail.) Since I was outside of the US, I just put salt and anti-bacterial cream on it, and took some antibiotics until I returned to the US where I could see a doctor.

If I were you, I would do the same thing; if its leaking anything other than blood or clear liquid(especially yellow puss) it could be infected. Good luck.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^^ Nah i havent, but it still leaks blood after every game i play. It like builds up dry blood, then i play, and it clears it out almost all the way, up until the top of my toe.

I dont feel any pain anymore though, the nail basically feels normal now like my other foot, but still bruises underneath, and clears up after playing.

I dont think the nail is gonna fall off either because its on pretty good. Its not red around the nail either, or inflammed as thats i am sure wha would happen if it was infected.

But i will get around to seeing a doctor sooner or later, i am just really busy with school right now.

15. lilfeathr

lilfeathr New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Do you have a good stomach to perform a quick fix? If you don't mind a partial or no nail at all... I normally use a nail clipper. Take the part that you can use to clean your nails (or anything pointy and flat). Wash it well, pour peroxide over it. Take that part and go under the edge where it is seeping. Have something to wipe up as the fluid can be messy. Work it under that spot. Warning- it may be sensitive! Take the nail clippers and clip away that part of the nail a little at a time until you get most or all of the part of the nail that is no longer connected. After, soak it in water with epsom slat. Or even a reg salt will do. Do this for a couple days repeating these steps ans more nail can detach... if you have time, a few times a day. This happens many times with me. The first time I tried the approach of wrapping and keeping it clean and covered and it took too long to heal and was more painful when I'd play. The next time, I said, the heck with the nail... who needs them anyway? They eventually grow back...and I'd rather spend my money on some new gear than pass it on to a doctor that will do the same thing anyway.

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^ Haha.

Interesting tip.

I still have my nail, but half is not attached to the skin anymore. I have a bandaid on it to help it stay in place. It doesnt hurt anymore, nor is it red around the nail anymore. I think its healted, but the nail still hasnt fallen off completely. Under then nail htere is slight bruising, but it doesnt hurt at all when i press it.

17. lilfeathr

lilfeathr New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Trust me...Take the bandaid off, soak it in warm water for say 20 min's, this will make the nail softer and easier to work with. Cut the part off that is no longer connected. Once you get rid of the "baggage" (unconnected) part of the nail, you will have no brusing, no pain, no worries because it isn't there! So much quicker heal time. The last one I did on my big toe left my nail looking like the backwards letter L. In three days, it felt and looked great! Well, as good as any ugly toe could look without most of the nail. Trust me, try it. You'll wish you did it sooner.

18. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The clear stuff is dead white blood cells or Puss, it is a sign that it is starting to clear up and shouldn't take to long.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ok guys, just had a couple more questions.

Its April and its been about 6 months'ish since this happened, since then my nail is almost back, but it is having trouble growing to the end of my toe like it should be, its brittle at the end and i still dunno what that black is at the end? Is it try blood? Cause it seems to be stopping growth to get to the end of my toe.

I've been meaning to go to the Doc's to check it out, just to be safe, but so far it seems normal as the nail grew back normal in place, not growing sideways or anything.

Anyone know whats up or have any idea whats up?

Here's a Pic, yea i know its kinda nasty. But yea let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

20. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just dried residual blood from the initial injury. Use a small, thin, metal nail file and smooth off the edges of the nail every couple days. The front edge is probably very ridged and bumpy, you can smooth the top portion as well. Just keep it trimmed, don't allow it to become ingrown and you'll be fine. You're long past the point of worrying about infection.

SWEET pic btw!:D

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL thanks. My beat up feet from years off soccer. lol

22. lilfeathr

lilfeathr New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Getting there on the nail huh? Do as he said, keep it trimmed. At times it may grow out like an inch worm (bump up)... when it seems to get stuck, soak it, run the metal nail clipper under the edge of the top of the nail. Cut away any dead stuff. You will losen it up good that way. You probably have another month or two of growing before it looks normal again.

My season kicks off Sunday. Looking forward to newly squashed nails to work on. I was lucky this winter and didn't lose any! :>

23. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^Hehe Right on!

Yea i freaked out cause awkwardly enough, this was the first time i lost a nail! I used to play at the highest level growing up, but now i play at a more rec. level with some people that dont know how to play, which IMO adds to the danger of the game, since sometimesthey play wreckless. :(

24. lilfeathr

lilfeathr New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Yeah- Talk about reckless- at times it would be less violent playing against Freddy Cruger or the the guy with the chainsaw hacking at your legs.

25. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^Tell me about it! At least when you play at the highest level, theres likle the unspoken etiquette not to mention the red's people would be getting in these rec leagues!