Any news yet on Rowdies new uniforms?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Luis_Rancagua, Jan 11, 2012.

1. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Absolutely love the kits. The black 3rd will have to grow on me, that's for sure. I'll still get all three. I hope they offer customization.

I'm surprised we decided to wear green at home and white on the road again (while we were FCTB).

My slight compliant is that i wish the NASL Champion patch was bigger and somewhere else on the shirt. It would have been better above the stars and with the work mark lowered.

All in all admiral hit it spot on. I wished we would have had admiral sooner. Lotto who?

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The scudetto on the front would have cluttered stuff up waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than it already is.

And, no, the freaking word mark does NOT have to get any lower. They moved it up (looks still too low on the black shirt), and it is almost right. Lose the stars and you can do it.

Words on shirts are on chests, not on stomachs. Admiral's logo could go up. Lose the stars. Make Mainsail a sleeve patch or litho on shorts. Raise word mark. Profit.

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I called the Soccer Shop of Tampa Bay and was told that they can customize the jerseys.
    http://soccershoptampa.com/

4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And will United World Soccer not stock them as usual?

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just FYI, all Mobsters who are both a premium Mob member and a Rowdies season ticket holder can buy each of the new kits for just $50 a piece (reg price is $70 each). That's just about a buy 2 get 1 offer and a great deal for the supporters.

You are welcome.

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I didn't even think about calling them since they are farther away from where I live. Hopefully they do carry them so that our Pinellas fans have another option to buy merchandise.

7. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Charlie.

speedcake repped this.
  8. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    They didn't last year. Total joke of a sponsor. I went in midseason and they had not a single thing of the Rowdies. I asked the dude that worked there if they were just sold out and he acted like he had never heard of the Rowdies. Trust me, I will cross the bay to shop at the Soccer Shop because they support the Rowdies in a meaningful way.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United World Soccer logo was absent from the kits at the season ticket holder event yesterday. All the other regular sponsors were in place.

Besides, the Soccer Shop of Tampa Bay will be carrying nearly all the new Rowdies merchandise this season; not just the jerseys.

10. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eurosnob.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UWS has been an awful sponsor from the get go. Good riddance to them if the Rowdies have indeed cut ties.

12. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess not then.

How was the season ticket holders party yesterday?

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was good. Considering they held it from 5:30 to 7:30 on a Wednesday afternoon in downtown St. Pete, the turnout was not bad.

But once again, a very weird time was chosen. This should have been held on a free weekend or begun later in the evening at the very least. 5:30? Hooray traffic!

14. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Monday morning was apparently already booked.:p

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hells not, if they bring back Bethlehem steel FC back I hope they use "Since 1911" on their uniforms. ;)

16. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    2 part question/opinion:

I am starting to get in your line of thinking with the two stars. Do you think if we did not have the two stars the scudetto would be right over the wordmark?

I'd compromise with two smaller stars under the collar on the back (or on the arm collar -or- no stars at all) Put the scudetto in the center, admiral on the left and mainstay on the right all level with each other about 4 inches apart. Raise the word mark 1 inch and drop the number 1 inch. I think that would be dope. You should bring is discussion to Paul at Uni-watch. I think it's intriguing the stars vs no stars debate. I think they'll find it fascinating over there.

As I'm starting to sway in opinion is that you really don't need stars to signify anything. If the brand is built long term, people will always remember and thus cancels out the need "to remind" people about those said championships. 1975 and 2012 is no different. They did happen.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did happen.

The first one happened to someone else.

That's been the complete, entire and utter point.

I have no issue with stars. Stars are traditional (though the original tradition wasn't one for every championship).

I had a big issue with a club - that wasn't the original club, no matter what they say - having a star it didn't earn (while they were the same people who didn't know enough about the actual history of the club to know that #7 was retired). It was silly. It was stupid. They have every right to have a star for the 2012 title, it's what people do now (though what MLS does is the scudetto the following season, then the next season the scudetto gets replaced with an additional star). It was silly to claim the 1975 title, which was won by a different club in a different league at a different level in a different time and place. That is my sole objection.

No matter what anyone says, these Rowdies are not those Rowdies. These Strikers are not those Strikers. These Cosmos are not those Cosmos. They can't be. All three of those clubs died and did not survive to see the resurrection of the brand. Spiritual descendants, fine and dandy. You can have that.

Those of us who were actually around in the 1970s and early 1980s aren't flocking back to this and acting like Marsh, Connell and Wegerle, et al are back. The brand is back, and that's very nice.

This bunch can (and should) wear the colors, the hoop socks, the collars, whatever. They can wheel Dick Crippen in if they like and if they want to bring back the Wowdies, that's fine, too. But claiming to actually be the same club....no. They're not.

If I started a nightclub tomorrow in Parsippany, New Jersey and called it Studio 54, would I be able to claim that Mick Jagger used to party at my establishment? No. It doesn't work that way. It's resurrecting a retro brand, that's it.

These guys are making their own history, as they should and as was inevitable. I've said from the get-go that they needed to embrace their history while not being strangled by it. But that stops at pretending you're the same club, unless you can explain the 17-year gap. ("We were on vacation!")

One star. Somewhere that allows the word mark to be raised. Let's work on the socks. And ditch the black.

18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Great illustration with the Studio 54 comment. Perfect analogy.

19. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Good job with your studio 54 analogy. I get it. I'm still ambivalent, but I definitely see both sides.

COYR

20. Ferdy22

Ferdy22 New Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Arlington, VA, USA
    XaviusX repped this.