Any news yet on Rowdies new uniforms?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Luis_Rancagua, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This. The wordmark being too low and the two stars above the wordmark make the shirt just off enough to be a pass.

Ok. Slap a collar on it while you are at it.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collars go in and out of fashion, I guess. The 1975 Rowdies didn't have collars on one version of their shirts, though they did at some point that year.

Like I've always said, even if the original Rowdies had continued to exist past 1993, their uniforms would have undergone some changes (by the end of the APSL days, they had changed quite a bit anyway). We can't expect them to look like 1979 for the rest of time. I like the iconic elements that they've kept (to be fair, I liked the FCTB away shirts the first year, still have one) and think these would be a reasonable present-day application of the classic look were it not for the freaking wordmark on the abs.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Great jerseys the Rowdies had in 79

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '79 was tops. That was pretty much the zenith, those years 1978-1980, for me. Those players, that team, those games, that look, those crowds. September 7, 1980, that was, effectively, the end of the line.

Bluesfan repped this.
  5. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies will unveil their new Admiral kits and merchandise this coming Wednesday (March 27th) during their Season Ticket Holders Event at the Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what they have been wearing isn't what they are going to wear?

I actually wish I had bought the blue FCTB shirt now. They were cheap on clearance.

7. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, they've been sporting their preseason/warm-up kit this whole time, which, BTW, is 100 times better than anything LOTTO ever made for us.

8. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that game. My best friend and I watched the end of the Bucs/Bengals game on a TV at Sears or JC Penney or some such store in Tampa Bay Center (RIP), then went to the game.

After the game (after the 6-0 win in the second game, the Sockers won the mini-game in shootout and advanced), the gutted 15-year-old me was on a pay phone calling my mom to get her to come pick us up, when someone tapped me on the shoulder and asked if he could use the phone.

It was Ron Newman.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Kenn, you've mentioned that September 7th 1980 was a turning point (for the worse) before. Could you explain why you pick that specific out for those of us who weren't around at the time. Thanks

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See the two posts above.

That was the end of the 1980 playoff run. The team had been to back-to-back Soccer Bowls and lost them both. Marsh had retired, but the team was still good enough to be a contender. But a goal called back for offside in the mini-game and a shootout later, the run was over, and the Sockers went on to lose to the Strikers in the next round (I think the Rowdies would have beaten the Strikers) and the Strikers went to Soccer Bowl.

The team then got mediocre really quickly. Jago resigned, they went with Al Miller, they changed the focus of the team (Washington Oliveira, please pick up the white courtesy phone) and the whole thing went pear-shaped from there.

Had they won that September 7, 1980 mini-game and then gone on to a third straight Soccer Bowl and maybe found a way to win that, maybe some of that would have been mitigated. Maybe not.

But that night, though we didn't realize it at the time, was really the end. After that day, the Rowdies weren't really the Rowdies anymore.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're closer, man!

[​IMG]

Wordmark is almost there (and it's just about as high as it's going to be because of the freaking stars. Collars are back! I guess the black and gold thing is an alternate (eck), considering that's Mulholland wearing it and not a goalkeeper.

The socks aren't traditional (skinny hoops and not all the way to the foot), but I don't mind them.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    First, I agree with Kenn on the alternate black. Good God that is bad. And pointless.

The socks bother me. The aren't hooped. They are solid socks with stripes on them. Oh, well, the home and away kits are very good. If only they would nix the sponsorship on the front of the shirt.

The wordmark is definitely higher.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Had they just left that out, this would have been really good. Some bright boy said, "Okay, I see there's some sort of tradition thing here, and they can have that, but let me have this artistic thing I want for my portfolio."

They've been hooped to this point, haven't they, but just not all the way down the foot? I had a pair of the original socks back in the day. Hoops all the way to the foot.

Not likely. Probably free player housing costs.

Yep. Without THE STUPID STARS, it could be just about right.

17. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Black kit! I got to see it up close and I thought it was really nice!

18. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, sorry guys. Nearly everyone at the STH event today loved the black kits. The supporters, for the most part, definitely like them and have been wanting a black kit and why not roll one out as a 3rd shirt that won't be worn often on the field but that fans can sport around town?

All of this gear is QUALITY. From the simple t shirts to the jerseys. I've already forgotten all about Lotto.

Admiral has done this right and I'm really, truly glad.

FNovoa repped this.
  19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you be ashamed to wear the actual team colors for some reason?

Bluesfan repped this.
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, all Mulholland needs is Bucco Bruce's hat. He looks like half a pirate in that kit.

21. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not and you know it. I'll be buying all three. But unless I know ahead of time that the team is wearing the third kit in an actual game, I won't wear it to a match.

22. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The black kit is the equivalent of this:

[​IMG]

Green and gold
    'til I'm dead and cold,
    But with black I'm down
    'Cause I can sport it around town.

Bluesfan repped this.
  24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I could stomach a black kit if it had both green and gold accents, somehow tying it into the club. Maybe I am showing my age, but all I think is Chicago Sting when I see that alternate get up. Why do clubs work hard to develop a recognizable identity and then screw around with it?

Back in 2010 the socks were basically hooped except, yes, the hoops ended just below the calf. The last two seasons and now this year's version have been striped. I wouldn't be so picky if the sleeves weren't hooped. They should match. By themselves, they are decent looking socks.

The sponsor logo on the front can't be read! It is pointless and detracts from a very smart looking shirt. A sleeve ad would be ok I suppose if it is necessary (although it couldn't be read either), but give them another ad board at the game and call it a day.

And yes, the TWO FREAKING DUMB STARS have got to go. If they insist on the bogus stars, then put them on the back of the shirt under the collar. I could go with that instead of having 'Tampa Bay' on the collar.

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just glad they didn't put "Since 1975" on the collars like Vancouver has "Since 1974" (because "Since 1974, Except for 1985, and from 1986-2000, we were called something else" wouldn't fit.)

Actually, a black kit that is exactly like the green but with white where there is yellow would be intriguing. I guess I am slightly less against the black itself than the actual treatment, because it looks a bit like a pirate outfit for Halloween. But it exists to sell another jersey to people that you wouldn't wear in Florida after about May 1.

But the stars remain dumb, especially when you didn't know #7 had been retired.