Any news yet on Rowdies new uniforms?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Luis_Rancagua, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retired jerseys in soccer WTF?

Imagine if all teams did that, no #10 or #9s on most teams.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said, it's rare, though it's happening more often. (Imagine that, an American thing being adopted in other countries.)

Real Salt Lake retired #9 for Jason Kreis (to some eye-rolling) last year. Portland retired Clive Charles' #3 after his death in 2003. Supposedly the Cosmos retired #10 after Pele's last game in 1977, but I couldn't swear under oath that no one wore #10 for them after that or that no one would should they ever actually take the field again. And Cobi Jones' #13 was retired by the Galaxy in October 2007. (Richmond, incidentally, will retire Mike Burke's number this weekend, but the story on the team's website doesn't mention what number that is, presuming that if you're reading, you know, which I don't - but I think he was #19?)

Indoor, meanwhile has had a lot of retired numbers.

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Kenn

Are you saying that the current ownership doesn't know that #7 has been retired? That is incredible, but explains a lot. As a kid I grew up with the Rowdies like you did, this half assed reboot just irritates me more by the day.

It was bad enough to see the original Rowdies struggle to stay alive in the aftermath of the NASL folding and then eventually see them die with a whimper. Now this cluesless bunch is going to not let sleeping dogs lie and run the Rowdies mystique into the ground for good.

:(

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazyness IMO, Pachuca retired 1, 8, 17, 20 and funny how they retired 110 for Chitiva (maybe it is a typo in wiki).

I guess that if RSL and LAGalaxy ever play in a conmebol tournament they would have to use their retired numbers again.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I know they know, it came up two years ago.

6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That is what I meant, you brought it to their attention. Prior to that they didn't know.

What strikes me odd is outside of the their 2010 opener, actual original Rowdies have been in short supply. Seems like they were trotted out two years ago and since then the club has had difficulty connecting with the history they claim.

Personally, I would pay money to have a chalk talk before or after a match with an original Rowdie I grew up following.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they're afraid Winston Dubose will call an Asian player a "Chinaman" again.

8. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found out that our contract with LOTTO ends after this season. I pray that they'll have a new deal in place with a quality Kit Supplier for next season. If I had to choose, I'd take UMBRO. I've always been a fan of theirs.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who doesn't insist on putting their logo in that position on the collar, forcing the Rowdies' wordmark down too far on the shirt, would be fine with me. I haven't bought one of the 2012 shirts specifically because of that bug feature.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    What are the odds that we would get a custom designed kit with Umbro? Zero.

Like it or not, Lotto, Admiral and the like offer design options that the big suppliers don't. Will be interesting to see if they keep the same basic design.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even care if it's Lotto. If they'd get the bug out of their butt about their freaking collar logo that screws up everything. How can you design something and not care that it looks like ass?

12. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A man can dream. Can't he? :rolleyes:

As long as it's better quality than what we've got with LOTTO, I'm cool with any other supplier. Hopefully they won't divert too much from our original design.

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Admiral seems to making decent stuff for Minnesota, that would probably be our best bet to retain the classic shirt look we have now. Any mainstream manufacturer pretty much means kiss the shoulder hoops goodbye.

The shirts are ok, to above average, but where I think Lotto drops the ball is on those plain shorts.

14. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ADMIRAL was once a kit supplier for the Rowdies back in the Old NASL days.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that might have been for replicas, for some reason. I don't believe they ever wore Admiral in an NASL game, unless it was toward the end when most people stopped paying attention.

Nope, apparently they had a couple other suppliers (and some unknown ones), but no Admiral for actual stuff worn in an NASL match that I can see.

16. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like you're right. In any case, ADMIRAL wouldn't be a bad choice at all, if, again, they can preserve the Hoops on the sleeves.

17. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    According to what I have found on ''nasljerseys.com'' you are totally right

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (That's what I linked to. :) )

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Kenn,

how were these NASL replica jerseys that were sold in JC Penny ? Good or bad quality?, cheap or expensive?, pretty much close to the original jerseys or not?

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, my recollection is that replica jerseys in the late 1970s and early 1980s just weren't that good. Mostly polyester, and they apparently felt good about themselves if they at least got the colors right and the team name on them. I look at the game-worn jerseys from that time period that survived and I think those weren't like they are now, either, by a long shot. I have an Earthquakes game-worn jersey from about 1977 and it's just basically a t-shirt.

In 1979, nobody was really thinking about looking exactly like the guys on the field, I don't think. And I don't think anyone thought you could sell them a $50 jersey. The 1979 Rowdies game program lists a whole bunch of merchandise you could buy from them, but no jerseys. A Maas Brothers ad shows t-shirts and shorts, but no jerseys.

I never thought TOFFS got them quite right, either, so I never bought one.

21. FNovoa

FNovoa Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Redington Shores, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies

Same here.

22. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After seeing how WARRIOR designed LFC's new Kits, I wouldn't mind it at all if they continued to expand their Brand in the Footballing World by designing our new kits! :)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

23. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    do you remember these ?
    http://naslmemories.blogspot.com/2013/03/sears-nasl-replica-kits-1980.html

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don't remember those, specifically.

There wasn't really a big jersey culture (in any sports, really) in the late 1970s. I know you could get NFL jerseys from an ad in Football Digest (I never did) and there were these (I had a Lee Roy Selmon and a Ricky Bell), but actual jerseys or replica jerseys...I just don't remember people wearing them to games and definitely not wearing them just around like they do today.

The funny thing about that Sears 1980 NASL line as it pertains to the Rowdies is that the wordmark is way too low on the front of the shirt just like they are today. The fact they have the Rowdies wordmark on the belly and not on the actual chest is the main reason I haven't (and won't) buy one. The Admiral mark and the apartment logo could go up a little bit, but the wordmark could go up about six inches to where it would make more sense.

It just looks silly now. At least the Lotto below the collar is gone, but I can't see a good rationale for not having the wordmark on the chest where it belongs.

25. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Thanks 4 your answer,

And (as you probably know of course) neither in Europe there was a big jersey culture at that time, I could buy a white-red adidas but it wasn't FC Koln's or a yellow-green adidas but it wasn't FC Nantes