Antonio Valencia - Part 2, Man. United

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by Manolo, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh Really? When was that? When he failed at Villareal and was sent to Recreativo? Yet everyone shut their mouths and had absolutely no opinion? I'm not like some other people who change their minds. Everytime he moves to his left and uses his right foot, It drives me up the ********ing wall. Ofcourse a goal against Blackburn means he's an elite and against a top quality keeper to boot! Someone even Compared it to a Brazilian goal in the 1970 World Cup Final!!! yeaaaaaa to the asinine!!!!!!!! Yeah, I remember. I remember a certain final last year. Do you? or does his owning smaller opponents a real accessment of his ability? or lack there of?

2. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully Valencia gives Cristian Ramirez a call over at Tottenham this week with some advice and encouragement.

3. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    U mad bro? I guess 12 assists in 20 games is not good enough and I guess he is to blame for that loss last year because he was the "only" one playing like shit. Even Montero wasn't given a chance at Villareal after having an awesome season in their lower divisions.

4. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why in God's name would I be mad? That's ridiculous! How old are you? I'm probably a bigger EcuaFutbol fan than you are. and When did anyone say anything about "NOT GOOD ENOUGH ?" you called me out, Remember? so , When they lose, Valencia is not to blame but when they win, Its all him..Right? Both Montero and Valencia had their chance at Villareal and failed for one reason or another. yet, both of them have worked really hard. So which is a harder and competitive league? Atletic Bilbao bitchslapped manu in Both Legs and they are 11th in the Liga. That's like Norwich going into Barcelona for a twolegger and winning both games, Guess what? NOT HAPPENING IN A MILLION YEARS!!! the Point is, You didn't have an opinion when Valencia was failing and didn't say a word. Now, If you saw this coming, that Valencia was going to end up in Manchester United after being sent to a Spanish Second Division club, THAN STOP BEING GREEDY WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE and let all of us know way ahead of time. So I need your Advise. Cristian Ramirez is currently at Tottenham trying out, is he going to be one of the world best laterales? or is he going to stay and be sent to a second division club in England than end up in Real Madrid making us all forget about roberto Carlos???

5. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Come on he was never given a fair chance at Villareal. I watched the their pre-season games and I thought Valencia had done quite good. I think it was strictly a business move for Villareal to sign him up, he was nothing more then a marketable commodity for them it wasn't a good fit that team, he was beyond what was normally accepted in La Liga. The EPL was a perfect fit for him not every player succeed just based on their talent it also depends on situation they are in. How many times have seen said player triumph under said circumstances then turn around and flop completely under different circumstances? It could be as intricate as changing from one team to the next, not necessarily changing leagues. At Wigan he was given plenty of opportunity to develop that raw almost peculiar ability he has, why? because it's interesting it's entertaining it's different and EPL has a much more "Showmanship" aspect to it.

Now about that sick goal he scored, I wish he would have just said he 100% meant it!!.. well I guess I am not surprised he said that I guess he is an instinctive player, somewhere in that head he had computed the probability it would either go in or fall to one of the 3 players in the box either way he probably knew it had a good chance of ending in the back of the net. That doesn't mean he didn't know what he was doing like some some have suggested, super GOLAZO!! :cool:

6. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    somebody's eating his words right about now...

Anybody who knows Futbol saw Antonio Valencia's potential from the minute he set foot on a European soccer field.

7. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    How can you fail when you aren't given a chance? He maybe started, what like 5 games? I remember seeing Hercules beating Barcelona just a couple of years ago and it wasn't by casualidad.

8. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    This.

Sometimes revenge is sweet. Today, Villarreal is 17th in La Liga.

Nobody could have predicted he would be widely recognized as one of the top wingers in the world. But now that he is, those of us who supported him and believed in him since the beginning have the right and the privilege to brag that he is one of our own.

Valencia's story should be remembered by every talented Ecua player. His first 2 teams in Europe sent him off. He happened to fit perfectly at Wigan and in the hard, fast style of the EPL. He could have easily ended up somewhere else or even back in Ecuador.

I still think Chucho Benitez had the worst luck ever, to go to a team like Birmingham under the most negative, defensive coach in England. They finished 10th in the league and then the ungrateful management got rid of him and were relegated the next season. His story could easily have been different if a team had invested in him the way Wigan did with Valencia.

9. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what planet some of you live on but there is no such thing as Fair.. You go out there and you fight for your spot. and i call bullshit on anyone who thought or believed that Valencia would end up on Manchester after being send to a second division club. Even Kleber Chala managed to stay in the reserves at Southampton. uhhhh poor baby..we Believe in you..kissy..kissy..hang in there buddy!!!. FVCCK that..Life doesn't work like that.. Valencia got a swift kick in the ass when he went to recreativo and that's what he needed and that's why he's the way he is... The honduras player at Wigan, Figueroa was ready to quit and had the bags pack wanting to go back to Honduras. Didn't like the food, Climate, Language, etc..etc..etc.. Guess what Valencia Did? Sat him down and told him what was what.. I even think Figueroa moved in with him... Now Valencia has done the same thing to Manu Goalie Degea...I guess Valencia got that philosphy from poster here with there...Hang in buddy!!!! You can do it!!!!! Just practice Man!! Don't worry, it not fair but you'll get your chance... Here are some bombones for you!!!!

And Hercules beating barcelona is nothing compared to an International Tournament. and when was the last time a Foreign team beat Manu at Old Trafford? Manu got WORKED by Atl Bilbao.

10. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Practically the only player to make a significant run with the ball.

[​IMG]

11. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I always saw the potential in Valencia to be great and I think a lot of people saw it, the directives at Wigan saw it obviously. I remember way back when he first joined Wigan I wrote a letter to him on MySpace(lol) I told him something to the effect that he shouldn't just settle for being good he should try to be the best and I explained how he should just stick with it and work hard to not waste his talent. He didn't respond and I don't even know if he read it but I swear since that point he seemed more inspired in his play. I been a loyal Valencia follower/supporter and well it's nice to think he read that and I somehow have a small bit in his rise to fame lol at this point I may be delusional though!! who knows :cool:

12. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    ha ha, loco, everybody saw that valencia was going to be a quality player. his first game in qualifiers playing against paraguay,when he scored 2 golazos and you knew this guy was on to something,he was already a player to watch when playing in el nacional.then of course came the world cup when he came close to getting rookie award along ronaldo and podolsky.the rest is history.so ,i say ,yeah you might be a bit delusional..:D

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Valencia, fastest player in the world?

14. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Everyone knew he was going to be a superstar, Villareal didn't give him a chance. VALENCIA IS BEAST NUFF SAID.

15. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I dont think it really matters if we predicted Antonio was gonna be an elite player or not. I personally thought he'd turn out to be as important to the NT as Edison Mendez was in his prime. But it doesn't matter. Certain players make it in certain leagues and others arent fit for it. The ecuadorian player takes time to mature period. Benitez, Felipe Caicedo, Guerron, Cristian Suarez, even Neicer Reasco and i can go on. We are even witnessing Montero enter the next stage in his career as we speak-development in front of our eyes. We produce few ballers who can show immediate growth and adaptability in the top leagues of the world. A recent example of those few players is Renato Ibarra, who in less than a year already earned a starting spot in Vitesse. Maybe not be a competitive team or one of the best leagues in Europe, but hes cutting through and quickly making it happen.

And for those who say Valencia only does well against weak opponents, thats false. He's had plenty of good games against top quality opponents. He sucked against Barcelona in the CL final last year, but so did every other player on the team. Matter of fact, ANY team that faces Barcelona in a CL game will most likely get eaten up. Especially in a final. They honestly win tournaments before they even enter them but oh well thats just how good they are. So just cuz a certain player doesnt shine against Barcelona or 1 team in particular doesnt mean that they suck or arent top class material. Theres games where Cristiano Ronaldo is ghost against Barcelona, but that doesnt mean he's weak sauce.

16. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    This. Who cares who was right 6 years ago. All that matters now is that he is confident, happy and that he doesn't get that screw taken out until July. Otherwise, we are f'ed.

17. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Argentine F was saying nobody could have known he would end up this big which I dispute cuz I for 1 did see Tony could be great,, he was clearly a special player with raw natural ability - he just needed minor tuning like my series III super charged Grand Prix :)

18. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Guys I saw this on twitter, wth does it mean?

19. colombiasigue

colombiasigue New Member

Apr 7, 2012
  20. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
  21. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Their is a difference on being fast or quick walcott is just quick. Valencia is fast as $%^&

22. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I bet that you saw Ivan Kaviedes Could have Been great since he came out of Emelec. You want to go there? Or Augustin Delgado could have been great in the Prem League or even Cristian Benitez Could Have been great. Here we have three of the most recent PROFILIC strikers in ecuadorian football history and they all failed in England. and Yes, KAVIEDES had way more potential and was more talented than Valencia. I was wrong about all three of these players...So? What is all this Crap about Special Player? Raw natural ability? There are only two players in the world that deserve that, Messi and Ronaldo. all those saying and branding are use on even the most medicore footballers these days, Just like Golazo is used for every meager gol that is scored. and for the record, any player that comes from a country like Ecuador "COULD" be great when they transferred to Europe. Must be a "SPECIAL PLAYER" and I stand my ground.. the biggest B.S. that anyone thought Valencia would end up in manchester after being sent to the Second Division in Spain. If you are that good than next time there is a 600 Million dollar lotto, please pass the knowledge. I'm sick of dealing with Dramatic employees.

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it may be time to move on...

24. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Well, I am responsible for the Sticky "Selected Posts from Antonio Valencia's early days in Europe" - https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1928551. I had some time on my hands, and so I selected a number of posts from the first Valencia thread from 2004 - 2009. I think it's fair to say that a number of folks on here did predict very early on that he was a special player. The following quotes are from 2004-2005, when Valencia was 19 years old.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    OMG...Yoryi - he was so gangsta! :D

The memories.